Federal Squibs - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM
Lerrab
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

You're just plain unlucky! Send me ten of them! I will run them across the ole labradar and video the reports as I am doing it. Send me twenty since you ain't going to be shooting them I will pull the bullets also. Not saying bad ammo doesn't exist. If it does then someone has to get it.

By the way what do you think about my current bulk ammo Auto match buys, that were all purchased in the past 6 months.

Reading your first post you seem to say that poor ammo never happened pre panic, and it is all due to what you KNOW is happening at the factories, Am I reading you correctly?

I am also going to have to ask you to be more careful as shooting 400 rounds of ammo that you have to check to see if they cleared the barrel is dangerous. I don't think many folks would have shot such a large amount of potentially dangerous ammo. If you are clear out and have no other choice, how about me giving you some ammo?

Last edited by Lerrab; Yesterday at 03:04 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Having never shot one myself, I have to ask.....

Just how quiet is a squib in 22 lr?

I've had round that sounded so weak I ran a rod down the barrel, but they exited. And being I usually shoot on cardboard backers at the local range, none of them has been very far off mark.

I'm certainly not saying squibs don't exist, but this also makes me wonder on the overall consistency. Is it an all or nothing thing that creates a squib, as in no powder at all? Being I can sometimes tell the sound difference in rounds that still hit within an inch or so, it almost leads me to think that any squib round would have a very different sound. And if all rounds were that inconsistent round to round, it seems that impact would spread out even at shorter distances.

I've purchased and shot a good 8-10 bricks worth of cheap bulk ammo since the craziness started, and haven't had one yet.
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Just how quiet is a squib in 22 lr?
Not an eggspurt but it sounded like primer only with no muzzle report in a bolt action.
Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Al, did you pound them out or shoot them out?

Last edited by Lerrab; Yesterday at 09:27 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM
gkn

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
In shooting tens of thousands of rounds over a lifetime the only one I ever had (with hearing protection in place) didn't make any noise at all. I pulled the casing expecting to see an intact round with a primer strike, inspected it to see no bullet, and proceeded to pull the bolt to look down the barrel at a bullet lodged about an inch from the muzzle. End of shooting for that range day, as I had no rod with me to clear the barrel. Moral of the story: when things don't seem right find out why.
gkn
Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM
Chickenhater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by copterdrvr View Post
To the skeptics that don’t have any personal experience with these issues I’ll bet you were ammo hoarders! ��. I’m willing to bet that the people who haven’t experienced this problem haven’t made any recent as in the last 6 months purchases of bulk ammo. The reason I say 6 months is because I couldn’t hardly find ANY ammo more than 6 months ago…

I’m halfway through an 800 round box of the Federal range pack lot #F125U02 and it is ridiculously inconsistent. The difference in the sound of the round going off would be funny if it wasn’t so potentially dangerous.

It’s not AS noticeable in a rifle but in my TX 22 pistol with a Tandemkross muzzle brake, the sound level difference is insane. I’ve stopped shooting the ammo as I got tired of having to constantly check the bore and have rounds keyhole and hit the target 10 inches lower than the “normal” rounds at 15 yards.

The problems with some of this recently manufactured ammo is obvious-the ammo shortage…..

I’m willing to bet that the majority of the ammo makers have been running their production lines 24/7/365 for a good while. I’m also confident that finding qualified help is extremely challenging and I think it’s almost a guarantee quality control has declined especially for the “bulk” type ammo.

If you were smart and bought a big cache of ammo back in the pre panic “good ole days”, and haven’t had to buy current manufacture, bulk ammo, you don’t know what we are talking about…
I agree 100%. While I havent had good results with federal 22lr, past or present, I have friends who swear by the older stuff.
Its not just federal, all ammo seems to be lacking in the QC dept. I recently purchased several different SK variants... long range... pistol match... flatnose match... HV match.... and RN match. Set up at 47yds and shot 3 - 5 shot groups with each, the best, and most consistent groups came from an old lot of SK standard and an old lot of Eley club. So I feel copter is spot on, the mfgs are too busy playing catch up to worry about QC. So everything goes in a box. Guess they figure customers would rather have poor quality ammo than none.
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM
Boilerjack22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Apparently luck of the draw, in the last month, I’ve shot 4 of the 800 round Federal bulk ammo boxes, without a single issue, in firing, finishing up the last of 500 rounds this afternoon. It will not eject consistently in one of the CZ 457s, but fired fine. Every other rifle has fired and ejected them perfectly, even cycling all of the semi-autos.