Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-25-2021, 01:14 PM
BKS
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin 39A Help with a few questions please

I have my late uncles Golden 39A. I would like to put some fancier wood on it and a tang sight and globe front.

I don’t want to have to try 10 different sight combinations and was hoping that someone here had done it and could save me some trouble

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-25-2021, 07:39 PM
Chickenhater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You might want to try using the rifle with the factory bead post front sight. I tried a lyman 17A for a while, but found I could see more clearly with the factory sight, the hood reduces the amount of light available to the eye.
However, if you are set on this option, you will want the #17AHB lyman front sight. (0.404" high)
As far as the rear goes, the Marbles tang mount is an option that many have given high marks.
Reciever mount sights are another option, lyman 66 and the William's FP TK. But you should act fast, as I understand that both have been discontinued.
Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:27 AM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Just remember, the tang sight will only have one screw to hold it in place. You can have it drilled and tapped as long as that hole does not take out any of the the serial numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2021, 08:56 AM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Some people really like the tang sights and Globe front sights.

I will give you my thoughts and experience with them. If you completely grab the wrist of your rifle by wrapping your thumb all the way around the stock you will find the tang sight makes you change your grip and I did not like that. If you lay your thumb along side the stock you may really enjoy the tang sight.

The front globe sight (Lyman) is a great sight. I have two of them that were on a couple of my rifles that I put on. They are very good sights but I again did not like the way they take up the sight picture and do not let any light get to the front bead insert. So I removed them and just put the factory front sight back on and highlighted that sight with red fingernail polish.

I like a Williams rear peep sight but they are getting harder to find now a day's.

Just a couple things to think about on both sights. Not saying you won't just love those sights but something to think about before taking the jump.

As far as the stocks go. Here is a link to Boyds Gun Stocks that due have 39A and other stocks that they make. They do a good job.
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator
Old 11-26-2021, 10:32 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
After many strong opinions on rear sights,I will not comment on those. If you look at Treebone Carving Marlin stocks and look for the semi crescent version,that's pretty much as good as it gets for silhouette. On the front sight, I find that the factory bead covers too much animal, if the sight has a ramp,I just file the bead down to the thickness of the post, black it, put the hood back on,done. If the sight dovetail is in the barrel then a Lyman 17A goes on with a Lee Shaver insert.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2021, 11:22 AM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUGL4X'SC View Post
If the sight dovetail is in the barrel then a Lyman 17A goes on with a Lee Shaver insert.
I was wondering when someone was going to mention the Lee Shaver inserts.

When shooting silhouette with white animals, I use a Shaver medium bead. When I get bored, and want a real challenge, I install the small Shaver bead and shoot 1/2 chickens at the 100m line.

When shooting black animals I've tried a lot of inserts. The best so far is a .028" fiber optic rod that I installed in the center of a round piece of clear lexan. It works okay, but still not great. Most of our locals are just taping the fiber optic rod on top of the stock front blade, and that seems to work as well as anything for black animals.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Good point, black targets would change my strategy, I shoot white and orange silhouettes around here.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk