Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

The rules of Appleseed.

27K views 29 replies 26 participants last post by  Jive Turkey 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Appleseeds 4 safety rules.

1. Always keep the muzzle in a safe direction. (for the purposes of AS that is up or down range)
2. Do not load until given the "LOAD" command.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4. Make sure those around you follow the safety rules.

What constitutes a "SAFE RIFLE"

Magazine out
Bolt locked back
Safety on
Chamber flag in
Rifle grounded
No one touching the rifle

The six steps of firing a shot.

1. Sight ALIGNMENT
2. Sight PICTURE
3. Respiratory PAUSE
4a. Focus your EYE on the FRONT SIGHT
4b. focus your MIND on KEEPING the front sight on the TARGET
5. SQUEEZE the trigger
6. Follow through:
-Hold the trigger back
-Take a "MENTAL SNAPSHOT" of where the front sight was when the shot went off.

This is what you will hear when you make it to AS.

See less See more
#2 ·
At the Appleseed I had attended, all loading of detachable mags was done back away from the firing line. No ammo was allowed on the firing line until shooting was to begin. So, bring something you can place your gear and ammo on a few feet behind the firing line like a mat or chair.

#3 ·
Not to nitpick, but the Appleseed project uses the term: "prepping" the mags with rounds behind the line.

"Loading" is the act of inserting a prepped mag into the rifle in their terminology.

This terminology is used for safety purposes, so that one does not accidentally load ammo into a rifle before it is time.

But your point is right-on, and I like that rule, as it is a safe way of doing things. :bthumb:

#11 ·
HA!

Teapot, you just described the US pretty accurately as well. We were the original melting pot. When my ancestors joined the club, they were encouraged to help build a railroad with the blacks and chinese.

I don't see any reason you couldn't attend an appleseed as a Canadian. Heck, we're paying trillions of dollars to export our culture to the middle east. Doesn't make much sense not to invite the neighbors over.

#14 ·
No, bolt actions are just fine and many people use them successfully in Appleseed. I'm going to try it with a lever action soon.

Remember, the method of shooting from field positions taught in Appleseed was originated in the early 20th century using Springfield 1903 bolt actions.

#15 · (Edited)
I shot my first Appleseed with a semi and as I improved and meet my goals I went to open sites and now bolt action. It is a challenge but not impossible. I scored a 239 on my first try, just shy of my 240 goal.

Time management is the big hurdle. If you can work the bolt and reload without getting out of position you can be successful.

#17 ·
Just for point of information here, the Canadian version of this is called "Project Mapleseed". I've just gotten into sport shooting in the last year, and am very interested in this program. A friend of mine is attempting to organize one here. Not sure how successful he will be, but I'm in if he puts it together.

I'm with Teapot here in Ontario.

I've got a choice of a Winchester Cooey 600 bolt action, or a Mossberg 702 Plinkster. Both have proved to be very accurate.

Brian

#24 ·
There is an instructor manual, but that is firewalled for Instructors only. Every attendee is given a small booklet that lists the Safety Rules, Steps etc. at each event. AS well as a T-shirt, the price of admission includes an Appleseed shirt at each event.

#23 ·
You would be challenged reloading the rifle on the clock as well as doing it safely. I'm sure the instructors would watch you like a hawk to make sure you don't point the rifle errantly while trying to reload quickly.

Have you seen the course of fire? There's nothing against trying on your own before you attend one to see if you can approach the time limits. You can also buy the targets online from the Appleseed website (minimum $25 purchase) to try ahead of time.

Edit: Looks like Matt beat me to it and there's a solution in place. Give it a try!

#22 ·
Where does one get the Appleseed rule book the whole thing in hard copy? ...
The only "rules" for Appleseed are the 4 safety rules, the steps to making your rifle safe, and the AQT course of fire

Safety rules:
1. Always keep the muzzle in safe direction
2. Do not load until given the load command
3. Keep your finger of the trigger until the sights are on the target
4. Make sure those around you follow the safety rules

Steps to a safe rifle:
Magazine out
Bolt back
Safety on
Chamber flag in
Rifle grounded
No one touching the rifle

AQT course of fire, shot at 25m
Stage 1: standing position; top row, one 100 yard target; one magazine of 10 rounds; holes in paper, all 10 in one target; 2 minutes; max 50 points
Stage 2: transition from standing to seated or kneeling; 2nd row, two 200 yard targets; 2 magazines, one of 2 and one of 8 rounds; holes in paper, 5 and 5; 55 seconds, max 50 points
Stage 3: transition from standing to prone; 3rd row, three 300 yard targets; 2 magazines, one of 2 and one of 8 rounds; holes in paper, 3, 3, 4; 65 seconds, max 50 points
Stage 4: prone position; bottom row, four 400 yard targets; one magazine of 10 rounds; holes in paper 2,2,3,3; 5 minutes, score is doubled, max 100 points

210+ out of 250 = Rifleman
230+ with iron sights or 240+ with a scope = Distinguished

Does Appleseed allow 22’s with tubular magazines? Seems that would make using those rules on loading and safety dificult. I was thinking about something like the Marlin 60.
Yes, tube fed are allowed. There are instruction for what to do during the preparation period. For the rapid fire stages in the AQT, the tube fed loads 11 rounds into the tube. After the 2nd shot, eject one round and shoot the remaining 8 rounds. This simulates the magazine change. Marlin 60's are welcome at Appleseed

Matt

#25 ·
That is as I suspected , the Course of fire is challenging , score wise for many shooters , time wise ,stage 2+3 are challenging to bolts , lever actions and tube mags , I have not yet got it timewise with my Bergara BMR , I believe it’s doable ,and , I am fairly handy with bolt actions , but , nothing worth doing is easy. I have my doubts about tubes or how they would do it,but a magazine fed lever could do it handily and a mag fed pump too,I make a point of saying” never say never” but I will side with the Missourians On this one , Oh Stevens favorites would find it a challenging too.

#26 ·
I also now see now how tube mags would be able to perform this,I actually think it gives them quit an edge doing it that way as the simulation loses no time actually changing a mag nor does it neccesitate even moving the rifle from the shoulder,a clip Change would at least disrupt your concentration and muscle rythym.how about single shots?

#27 ·
I've seen it done with a bolt rifle. I've shot Rifleman with a Marlin 56 (mag fed, short throw lever action)

Bring what you have, the shoot boss and instructors will help make it work. Most shoots have loaner rifles available as well. Generally, Ruger 10/22s

Appleseed is equipment agnostic

#28 ·
Not sure how you'd shoot prone with a lever action....

In any case, I think what you get out of an Appleseed is a better sense of national heritage - and the marksmanship is just a part of that. Good marksmanship, to be specific. After all, it was marksmanship that won that war for us.

Would Daniel Morgan have chosen me, if I was there at his firing line on a cold New England morning? Am I worthy, today, of my Pennsylvania Long Rifle descendant of those storied riflemen? I like to think so.

Too easy to get distracted by the manual-of-arms of one's own carbine instead of learning about some of the roles of the various people who were definitely 'present and accounted for' at the nation's first forays into independence.

Now that I got my Rifleman using a conventional magazine-fed 10/22 (and on my 3rd attempt) I may go back and try again next year with some other rifle that will challenge me. Maybe a bolt action, seems rather ambitious at my current level of proficiency, much practice would be needed first.

However I would not want that personal goal of mine to absorb too much extra time from the instructors, and as such take away from the experiences of some other participants.

#30 ·
I would really like to try an Appleseed with my Henry. I think I’m gonna start putting in some practice. Looks like they are doing one close to me on November 18th. It’ll be my 1st if I’m able to attend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.