Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:44 PM
scoremaster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How are you aiming ?

Hey Guys
when I grew up if I would aim a handgun say at a quarter size piece of steel I would aim at the center of the quarter. Where I think most people would line there sights up at the bottom of the quarter . Of course you would possibly have to have different sight adjustments .
How do YOU aim with open sights .
Old 06-30-2020, 09:16 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoremaster View Post
Hey Guys
when I grew up if I would aim a handgun say at a quarter size piece of steel I would aim at the center of the quarter. Where I think most people would line there sights up at the bottom of the quarter . Of course you would possibly have to have different sight adjustments .
How do YOU aim with open sights .
SM,

Ruger recommends a Six O-clock sight picture, as per Image#1 in the attachment. With non adjustable sights (all Ruger Standards), this POA alignment allows for a full target sight picture acquisition, unimpeded by the sights themselves!

As far as myself, for my fixed Standards and Target adjustable rear sights...well I Do use Sight Image 1!

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger Sight Picture.jpg (12.0 KB, 106 views)
Old 06-30-2020, 10:03 PM
Steeveedee
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've always used and taught Pic #1 as Theo98 posted, but I don't know how he got those holes drilled in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 10:28 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
I used to shoot bulls eye and we always shot a 6 o clock hold. When I %%%% a scoped gun I use point of impact as point of aim. I like #1 because I do not like the open sights to cover my target.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:43 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I prefer point of impact image 2 ! But when shooting bullseye 6 o’clock with open sights will most likely give you better scores! You can try and see what you do best with!
Old 07-01-2020, 12:35 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My sight picture depends on the distance to the target.

At my sighted in distance of 20 yards, Image 2 is closest. At longer distances, I shift toward Image 1 (6 o'clock).

However, at closer distances Image 2 POI is a little low and Image 1 POI is a LOT low. So I use another hold that's not shown.

I have a small orange stripe painted on the top edge of the front sight. It sits centered on the bull like a horizontal crosshair. Then the top of the rear sight is placed to align with the bottom edge of the stripe. At close distances, the bull appears large, so the stripe really doesn't cover enough to hurt my accuracy.

Maybe weird, but it works for me without having to think about which hold to use. The hold comes naturally to me depending on how easy/hard it is to see the 1" diameter bull.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:20 AM
Jeepergeo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I shoot with adjustable sights, its Sight Picture #2 for me.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:39 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i tried sight picture 1 today with my new 10 inch Mark IV. I didn't like it at all. Also I couldn't adjust the sight enough. I switched to type 2 and started hitting center with no problems at 25 yards.

That's the way I've been shooting all my life, so I guess it's just what I'm use to.

I started my shooting career in archery, The best sight picture was #2 and for 25 years that's what I did. Pistol and rifle for me seems to have to be the same.