Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Another I wish they made... dream thread

7K views 37 replies 36 participants last post by  rockslide 
#1 ·
If you could make any centerfire in the world that has not been made, what would it be? I've got a few ideas in my head I would drool over

9mm saddle ring carbine rolling block with ladder sight

.223 Sharps carbine in military configuration

An actual 9mm M1 carbine, not that Chiappa half hearted excuse

A 38 special spencer that works right out of the box

Fun, cheap to shoot, and easy on the eyes. What are your ideas?

#3 ·
If you could make any centerfire in the world that has not been made, what would it be? I've got a few ideas in my head I would drool over

9mm saddle ring carbine rolling block with ladder sight
9mm may be hard for a tube fed lever gun... it may depend on a rim being there.

.223 Sharps carbine in military configuration
Mock up a Ruger #1 ?

An actual 9mm M1 carbine, not that Chiappa half hearted excuse
Iver Johnson made one, uses Browning HP mags. I've seen one in 35 years... but they are out there...

A 38 special spencer that works right out of the box
No help there...

Fun, cheap to shoot, and easy on the eyes. What are your ideas?
I'm still working on all the guns that are out there that I haven't gotten to experience yet....

#4 ·
A few come to mind, but . . .

. . . right now, I have a hankering for a CZ Carbine in .250 Savage. Reduce the magazine to three rounds for a nearly flush fit at bottom of receiver. Would make a fine deer carbine for the woods. I know many consider this round obsolete, but deer haven't heard that rumor. :)

That 9mm Parabellum M1 carbine sounds like a winner too. :t .30 Carbine ammunition is pretty expensive and sometimes difficult to find. Those small rifles are a lot of fun to shoot, carry easily and make a good 'truck rifle' to boot.

#5 · (Edited)
Single shot, Jones under lever, 8 bore black powder rifle with brass & mould in a case by Uberti or comparable maker. A double would be nice, but I assume I would have to pay for this dream, so I will keep it to an I-tie single.

Mauser P08 Luger in 45 acp, 6" barrel, adjustable sights. Priced right or change maker to Japaneses.

Ruger No1 in 577 3" NE and ammo available from Hornady or else 500 NE as currently loaded by Hornady

Ruger RedHawk in x-frame size.

CZ 453 American with deluxe stock in 22mag.

Ruger Mk IV in 32 acp stainless, tapered target model. Serial number moved to lower receiver.

Complete Marlin product line moved back to Ct with (my magic wand) old machinery and former employees.

#11 ·
I would like to see the stainless Security Industries made again. They were made for 3-4 years in the early 1970's. Looks almost exactly like a S&W 60 but has crowned barrel, spur hammer, recessed cylinder, and is a .357. They were made in .38 and .357 with barrel length of 2" or 2 1/2" and I have HEARD some had a concealed hammer like a Bodyguard. If I carry a wheel gun this is it.

#15 ·
dream guns, even if they're not practical, or could not be produced affordably?

1.) a scaled-down version of the M1A / M14 that shoots .223 ammo. I know all about the Ruger Mini-14 and Ruger Ranch rifles. I've owned 3 of them. But they're not very close copies of the M1A. I'd like to see a faithful 3/4 scale replica rifle that looks EXACTLY like the M1A, but shoots .223/ 5.56 mm. The rifle should have the flash hider/ front sight/ bayonet lug assembly, and if it's sold in some state with an " assault weapon ban" in place, make that muzzle thing a "recoil compensator" instead, but retain the look, the same silhouette.

Like the M1A, this scaled-down version should be accurate, at least with premium ammo. I'd expect 1.5 m.o.a. with decent factory ammo.

2.) A small frame defensive revolver with the following features:

-J-frame size.
-But with an excellent trigger, like the Ruger LCR's or a S&W trigger that has a Wolf spring kit and a gunsmith (Or S&W Performance Center) trigger polish job.
-- Caliber would be 9mm, NOT .38 special.
-- 5 shot cylinder.
-- Gun would only use full moon clips, which would be mass produced cheap. Each new gun would come with a dozen clips. Extra bags of 12 full moon clips would be like $5 extra, mail-order.
-- The cylinder of the gun would be extra-short to take advantage of the shorter OAL of the 9 x 19 rounds compared to the .38 spl.
-- The barrel, however, would be 2.5" long.
-- The sights would be HUGE, and with colored inserts of some kind. The rear sight would not just be a little 4 mm groove cut into the topstrap of the gun.
-- Crimson Trace would make laser grips to fit this gun.

#17 ·
If wishes were horses .....

How about a Ruger Blackhawk , .30 Carbine , in STAINLESS ? Ruger makes every part , right now , to assemble the gun , except for the cylinder ! How about a "stretch" model CZ 527 that would accommodate the .35 Remington ? How about a beefed up Remington model 25 in .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum ? ( I know there was a model 14 1/2 , but , it was as big as the model 14 ! ) How about a barrel for the new 1911-ish long slide clones in 10mm , but , in 9mm Dillon ? Easy -peasy !. :rolleyes:

#30 ·
For some time, now, I've thought that an "americanized" version of the 7.62x39 would make an excellent medium power hunting round.
Instead of the Russian dimensions of the 7.62 (.311), make it more of a .308x39. One could take advantage of the expanded bullet choices for reloading, yet still have a weapon that doesn't kick you too hard for the needed task(s).

That would require new barrels for already existing guns though, so additional expense would be a limiting factor in the success of the "new" chambering.

There may be a reasonable alternative already, and I'm not aware of it.

Just my 2-pence.....Roger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.