Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:07 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.17 WSM Bad Ammo

I have been plagued with misfires, sometimes as many as 8 in a row. And as for a hunt, it pretty well spoils a hunt.

I again went to my gunsmith pal and he took apart my bolt and we agreed the rifle bolt is fine.

We then pulled the bullet of a dud round, poured out the powder, and examined the primer material. Our discovery was there was almost no primer material with most areas, none at all.

I have been buying box after box of mostly duds because our local stores sell the old crap ammo. Notices to the stores has resulted in nothing.

I contacted Winchester and gave them the details and am waiting for their decision as for my problem. I have 10 or 11 boxes of the worthless fodder I can't depend upon.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:05 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I feel your pain, especially when shooting at a live target! Itís bad enough when just shooting paper.

Winchester didnít do themselves (or us) any favors when they didnít just do a total recall of ďALLĒ that early ammo. Since they are the only ones to manufacture the 17 wsm ammo we just have to hope their quality control has improved for the cal. to survive.

Please keep us updated on their response.

Wonderdog1
Old 11-13-2019, 09:58 AM
marv119
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are there any specific lot numbers to look for? I have a quite a bit of hornaday branded ammo bought ahead. So far i havent had a issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2019, 10:37 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That really sucks OH.

All mine is old but the only problems I've had with ammo is the accuracy of some lots. I forgot to look for fired splits the last 2 range sessions.

Got a huge boar limb chicken yesterday with the 22. It had some serious nads on em!
Old 11-13-2019, 11:19 AM
oddjob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How old is the "older" ammo?
Old 11-13-2019, 12:21 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old Hickory, are these FTF problems with a Bmag by chance?

My HB SS Bmag, when I first got it, had A LOT of FTF issues. I called Savage and talked to one of their techs and he thought the problem could be from how the trigger was dragging off of the sear which slows down the force of the firing pin striking and suggested I kinda jerk the trigger instead of a smooth gradual pull. I gave it a try and sure enough, with the exact same ammo I was having LOTS of FTF issues, it pretty much cured the FTF problem.

Jerking the trigger, instead of my normal gradual pull, was flat not going to work for me so I took my trigger apart, lightly sanded the sear contact points to clean any burr off the edge then polished it up to a mirror finish. It not only eliminated ever bit of creep/pretravel my trigger had in it but it also took care of my FTF issues and I can't remember the last time I had a FTF, and, I'm still shooting ammo from the same cases I bought years ago when I first purchased my Bmag.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:28 AM
SHOVELHEAD82
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Apples to oranges here but I had a similar problem with .17HMR ammunition about three years ago also manufactured by Winchester.

My friend and I have identical Browning T Bolt rifles.I forgot to bring ammo that day so we shot up his, 50 rounds between us. That day we started having FTF's, about 15. After a reasonable "safe" time we would eject and rechamber. At that point about half would go off.

We then continued with our .22's. The next day I went back with a box from my stash. About the same results. So on a hunch I called my friend and asked him if he kept the box and the FTF's. He did. We checked the lot number, he bought his at a Bass Pro Shop, mine came from Cabela's. Same lot number.

He was going to toss his dead rounds. I told him to hold off. I contacted Winchester, they requested a return of the FTF's and any unfired that we had under that lot number. Several weeks later a refund check was received.

From your description and my experiences with the rechambering I feel we had the same problem, a primer issue. Winchester never advised me of the results.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:54 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Old Hickory, are these FTF problems with a Bmag by chance?

My HB SS Bmag, when I first got it, had A LOT of FTF issues. I called Savage and talked to one of their techs and he thought the problem could be from how the trigger was dragging off of the sear which slows down the force of the firing pin striking and suggested I kinda jerk the trigger instead of a smooth gradual pull. I gave it a try and sure enough, with the exact same ammo I was having LOTS of FTF issues, it pretty much cured the FTF problem.

Jerking the trigger, instead of my normal gradual pull, was flat not going to work for me so I took my trigger apart, lightly sanded the sear contact points to clean any burr off the edge then polished it up to a mirror finish. It not only eliminated ever bit of creep/pretravel my trigger had in it but it also took care of my FTF issues and I can't remember the last time I had a FTF, and, I'm still shooting ammo from the same cases I bought years ago when I first purchased my Bmag.
Absolutely not a rifle issue. I had my rifle checked out 3 times by gunsmiths. The ammo I am having trouble with has been purchased within the last couple of years, some recently. I am shipping all the stuff to Winchester and see what we develop.

The problem is the primers of the ammo, little spots of primer material or none at all. This is what we discovered when we pulled bullets from the ftf rounds.

I have 10 or 11 boxes of ammo that is getting shipped to Winchester for their inspection.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
Absolutely not a rifle issue. I had my rifle checked out 3 times by gunsmiths. The ammo I am having trouble with has been purchased within the last couple of years, some recently. I am shipping all the stuff to Winchester and see what we develop.

The problem is the primers of the ammo, little spots of primer material or none at all. This is what we discovered when we pulled bullets from the ftf rounds.

I have 10 or 11 boxes of ammo that is getting shipped to Winchester for their inspection.

I believe ya!
Keep faith that Winchester Technical Service will too and make it right.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:47 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I surely hope Winchester has a faster(and better) response time making good than I had OH.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:45 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I scrounged around home and found a few duds to send to them, also. The rest of the duds have carpeted the floor of the woods buried under a thick layer of cuss words.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:11 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I still have faith in Winchester and have a lot more thanks to them than complaints.

My biggest thanks goes to them for inventing the .17 WSM and their willingness to make things right.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:34 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One strange thing, through email exchanges, the Winchester person said they won't make allowances for the 2 boxes of Federal ammo. Is that strange, or what? I am still going to send the two boxes of Federal fodder with the other 8 boxes.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:21 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
One strange thing, through email exchanges, the Winchester person said they won't make allowances for the 2 boxes of Federal ammo. Is that strange, or what? I am still going to send the two boxes of Federal fodder with the other 8 boxes.
Winchester had either a fedex or ups driver pick my Win cf ammo up. Months later sent rebate coupons, for 1/2 the price paid for the ammo, I had a receipt, good only for purchasing Winchester products! When I saw that... their products were the last thing I wanted to buy!

Good luck OH.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:53 AM
PGW_Steve

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've broken down ammo that didn't fire and saw the same thing with no priming compound in the rim. Further investigation showed that the rifle was giving a weak enough hit that it wouldn't ignite, but the priming compound would fracture and come out of the rim of the case and be mixed with the powder. Sorting out the weak hits solved the problem and seemingly 'bad' ammo all of a sudden worked well. Not saying this is your issue, but something I have observed.