Scoping a 52 hb - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2005, 02:50 PM
rbseagle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scoping a 52 hb

i have a Win 52 target heavy barrel rifle that was my great uncles. i have the target sights and a scope made by Winchester that mounts out on the beaver style blocks on the barrel. the problem is that it is about a 4 power or so and at 100yds it is a little hard to get good groups. i want to get another scope for it, but i don't want to drill and tap the gun, and i can't afford one of the Redfield 3200 or scopes like it. i was wondering if any body as found or made a way to mount a modern scope on this gun using the barrel blocks. i am thinking something like a flat bar w/ weaver mounts on the bottom of the bar to the blocks and base screwed to the top for the scope. a local gun smith said over the phone that he has never done anything like this, but he would take a look at it. i tried to use the search feature, but i did not find anything this is my first post on this site so if this subject has been covered before be kind. any help or info will be helpfull

thanks rbseagle
Old 03-09-2005, 03:12 PM
dbl

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
There are a lot of options; the BKL and Vianni mounts are two of them. The require no alterations to you gun. I am sure others here can provide more information.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:53 PM
rbseagle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks for the reply i looked at the bkl do you just mount to the rear block i good not find anything on the Vianni mounts do you know of a company or web site i can look at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2005, 04:18 PM
DonT

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have a BKL on my HB Win 52b and it works just great.
I first mounted it to the block that was on the barrel and it held just fine. Then I saw a post where BKL will make you up a block that extends back of the receiver but ends just before the ejection port to allow you to give you more movement for adjusting your eye to scope relief. I had them make me up a block and it fits like it was part of the barrel. They do these when they have enough orders so expect to wait 4 weeks or so. But at $20 it was well worth it.

I just used the block on the gun till the new one showed.

If you have any questions call them at BKL they are very very helpful, more than willing to offer advise and their products are great and reasonably priced.

Hope this helps..
DonT
Old 03-09-2005, 04:27 PM
rbseagle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks Dont i will give them a call
Old 03-09-2005, 04:32 PM
EddieM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Take a look at the Viani scope mount. I put one on my 52D. excellent quality and rock solid.

http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/Viani/
Old 03-10-2005, 02:38 PM
frosteemjj

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieM
Take a look at the Viani scope mount. I put one on my 52D. excellent quality and rock solid.

http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/Viani/
Would you mind telling me where you found these mounts? I cannot find them on the web anywhere so far.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:07 PM
Jay
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Jay Send a message via Yahoo to Jay
Ken makes the mounts a few at a time. They are not mass produced. He makes similar mounts for the Win 52, H&R M-12, and a few custom jobs. I think the price runs around $70 per mount, but it's a hell of a mount, and it allows you to remove the scope, and use the original iron sights without removing the mount. I have one on my Win 52, my H&R M-12, and he built one for each of my BSA Martinis.

Contact Ken via this address..... [email protected]

be patient, he's busy making mounts...

edit.....almost forgot...he built one for my 40X as well

Last edited by Jay; 03-10-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:44 PM
EddieM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got mine about a month ago for $70 + $7.50 for shipping. The price may seem a bit high, but well worth it. I would not hesitate to buy another should I acquire another 52 or M12. One thing to note is that when I bought mine, Ken mentioned that he only had around 6 mounts for the 52. Once those were gone, there would not be any available till around June or July.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:13 PM
--rock

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have Ken's mounts for my H&R M12 and Martini Mk III--they work great. I contacted him several days ago regarding a mount from my Winchester 52D. He indicated he was out of the mounts for the 52, but would be making some up, and they'd be available sometime in May. He's keeping a waiting list if you'd like to know when the 52 mounts are ready.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:38 PM
smoke810
US Army Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
rbseagle

This is a BKL 254 using the rear Unertl block. It's rock solid.

DG
Old 03-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Marty Conry

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are you able to obtain full up and down scope adjustment without shimming the mount? I assume there is a slight forward pitch to the Unertl block? I was looking at this BKL but wondered about the above questions. Is the 254 the 4" mount?

Last edited by Marty Conry; 03-11-2005 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:13 PM
smoke810

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is no forward pitch. The Unertl block on this rifle is parallel to the bore. I am not sure how long it is but would say it's close to 4". If you notice the Unertl block is mounted on the reciever ring.

DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Conry
Are you able to obtain full up and down scope adjustment without shimming the mount? I assume there is a slight forward pitch to the Unertl block? I was looking at this BKL but wondered about the above questions. Is the 254 the 4" mount?
Old 03-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Marty Conry

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No I did not notice where the BKL block was mounted....missed that altogether. I had jumped to the conclusion it was on the Unertl block just forward of the receiver ring. Did you drill and tap or where is your 1st unertil block? mine is just forward of the ring?
Old 03-12-2005, 07:06 PM
smoke810

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marty

That is the first block. This rifle was drilled and tapped years ago. The second block is 14-15 inches in front on the barrel. Note: in the first picture the rear scope mount is loose and not in the correct postion on the Unertl mount.

DG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Conry
No I did not notice where the BKL block was mounted....missed that altogether. I had jumped to the conclusion it was on the Unertl block just forward of the receiver ring. Did you drill and tap or where is your 1st unertil block? mine is just forward of the ring?