Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Bergara BMR scope rail

18K views 59 replies 25 participants last post by  slicksilverslk 
#1 ·
I can't understand why Bergara is shipping the BMR with a 30 MOA scope rail. I picked it up today, waiting on a scope, so I haven't fired it yet. But when I do I fully expect it to hit about 15 inches high at 50 yards (30 MOA). I intend to use it as a squirrel rifle, not a long range shooter. I would like to keep the scope as close to optical center as possible, so the rail will not serve me well.
What is the best option to cure my problem? I would like a 0 MOA or at most a 5 MOA rail, which is not, as far as I can tell, is not available for the new BMR.
The only option I can think, of other than a new scope base rail, would be shimming between the base and action, or shimming inside the ring. I don't like shims, and don't want to install and remove the scope again and again trying to find the correct thickness to get me near the correct elevation, but it may be the only option.
If I do use shims, is it better put them under the base rail or inside the front ring?
Any helpful assistance is much appreciated in advance....... 250savage

#5 · (Edited)
You have no idea where the scope will zero...it could be close to optical center, but I doubt it...especially if you want to zero at 50 meters. So far, this is just a hypothetical problem. I shoot with a 40MOA scope base on my Vudoo, and I can zero at 50 yards with no issues. Unless your scope turrets have a crazy low elevation range, you should be OK. Most scopes have at least a 60MOA elevation range, so you shouldn't have any issues.

More and more shooters are intending to shoot 22lr at 100 yards and above, so they went with the trend. If they hadn't included a 30moa base, I'm sure more people would be upset with a 0 moa base. The gun is marketed for NRL22 shooters, which has stages that shoot out to 100 yards, and many other 22 matches shoot out to 200.

#9 ·
You are also knowingly buying the rifle knowing it has a 30moa rail, they didn't hide it or misadvertise it. As per the response above, it even lists NRL22 competitions on their page about the gun. I am sure those people are happy about it. They chose to make their targeted market group happy with a rail they can use at once instead of making everyone unhappy by not including anything at all

#14 ·
My method
Scope Total MOA ÷ 2 + rail/mount = approx usable adjustment. Total can not exceed total scope MOA if you want any chance to zero at 50 yards.

My setup, Scope has 113moa, rail 20moa, mount 20moa
So : 113÷2 = 56.5 + 20 + 20 = 96.5
96.5 < 113 = Good to go

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

#20 ·
It's not odd.

BMR is designed with NRL22 and NRL22X in mind....distances of 200 or 300 yards need at least a 20moa rail to be versatile.

B14R is designed to be a trainer that matches your centerfire setup...if it came with a rail, everyone would change it to match their other rifle.

#22 · (Edited)
I can only say I had no problem zeroing my BXR Carbon (also with 30MOA rail from the factory) at 25 yards with a older Sightron 3-12x scope, I'd be just as happy with a 0 MOA rail but have no problems with what came on it. I've got a BMR on the way with a 30 MOA rail and expect no problem there.

#23 ·
This morning I got a response from Bergara:

The 30 MOA rail is the only rail they have, but...

"We may look at other rail options in the future."

Note, that's "may" and with an indeterminate future.

I mounted a Leupold VX-2 6-18x40 AO scope on mine and didn't care for the amount of elevation adjustment required for a 50 yard zero. So I used Burris Signature rings with the inserts to compensate. But that shouldn't be a necessity.

At the very least Bergara could/should offer 0 MOA and perhaps 10 MOA rails in their Accessories line. If they can develop and produce multiple types of rifles, the resources needed for additional rails is a pittance.

Doug

#25 ·
Email EGW or DIP and see if they can make a rail for it. They also sell rails that aren't drilled so you can custom drill for the BMR spacing. I looked through all of EGW's available rails and no other rifle pattern comes close to matching the BMR. I'd expect someone to offer a rail for the BMR in a few months, as well as a +2 or +3 magazine extension.

#29 ·
I did a bore sight the old fashioned way, bolt out and sight down the bore/scope on a spot WAY down the road (100yds+). The reticle adjusted to center on the spot so my first impression is that there is enough adjustment...the range work will tell. I did order the Burris rings with Pro-align offset inserts just in case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.