Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:53 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
T1x with peep sights

Maybe it's the Covid distancing we're experiencing, but I've been wanting a project to work on.

I've also been wondering what a T1x with peep sights would be like.

After a few weeks of gathering parts I got the rifle finished, early indications are that it was well worth the time and effort.

The rear sight is straight forward, anything that'll fit an 11mm dovetail should work, although I have minimal clearance between the bolt throw and the sight base. Doing this with a CZ 455 or 452 with a higher bolt throw might be a problem.

The sight I used was made by Unique, a French company that used to build target rifles.

I didn't find much on the 'net just by Googling the rear sight itself. A query in the sights and optics forum turned up a gent that knew quite a bit of the history behind Unique.
It has 1/8 minute clicks, with a Gehmann adjustable iris. It looks to be really good quality, right up there with Anschutz or Walther IMO.

Fitting a front sight to a Tikka is a bit more involved. I didn't have a barrel extension (bloop tube) handy, and I don't really like the look of them on a light rifle anyway.
The front sight I have is a basic Anschutz 18mm globe, sitting on a custom made sight block, which in turn sits on a 21mm 1/2 - 28 UNEF thread protector from the good people at Nordic Marksman in Nova Scotia. I chose the 21mm model over the 19mm version because I knew the sight block would extend past the protector on both ends. Cathy at Nordic showed a lot of patience with what I'm sure seemed like an odd request for measurements. Great folks to deal with, I highly recommend them.

I wanted to be able to index the thread protector so that the flat I filed on it to mount the sight block was perfectly level. Rather than take a chance on screwing up the thread protector, I added a shim between the barrel and the thread protector, made from a 3/8" steel washer.

The washer was 0.070" thick to begin with, and I sanded it to 0.0675" thick to get the alignment perfect. If you do this, be aware that a half thou over or under the "ideal" size will result in poor alignment, with the front sight canted slightly instead of vertical. It's that sensitive! It took me three attempts to get it perfect.

Between fabricating the sight block, cutting the flat on the thread protector, and the shims, there was a lot of filing, measuring, and test fits.

I drilled and tapped two holes to mount the block to the thread protector, then used some blue Loctite 243 to secure the protector to the end of the barrel. It got tightened with a pair of vise grips padded with leather to avoid marring the finish. The shim, sight block, and top of the protector got several coats of cold blue before installation.

Special tools..

Bits and pieces, pre- and post-assembly

Another friend offered some clear front sight inserts, which I prefer, along with other bits and pieces.
It turned into a group effort to get this done!

The front sight is slightly ahead of the muzzle, but I don't mind the look. Plus with a 20" barrel, the Tikka already has a short sight radius. I may eventually build a custom threaded barrel extension, but this works well for now.

I've got a T3 Hunter stock on my T1x, as the last pic shows. Sight alignment is perfect for me, nice solid cheek weld and the comb height is ideal.

This makes a great light target rifle, even with CCI SV it's easily accurate enough to hold the 10 ring on a Canadian 50m sporting rifle target.

I like the way it turned out, it's a fun rifle to shoot set up this way.

10 minutes will put it back to the original configuration if I decide to go all the way back to original. If I want to shoot it with a scope again but leave the front base installed, all I have to do is slide the front sight off the base and mount the scope.

Shooting it prone without the bipod and rear bag is surprisingly nice, it's just heavy enough to hold well without being a strain on my arm.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:10 AM
justinp61
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've done something similar to mine. For the rear sight I bought a williams for the 11mm rail and later bought a Anschutz adapter so I can use my Redfields if I want. For the front I made a simple bushing that the redfield front base screws to, it attaches to the threaded end with two nylon tipped set screws. I have since made an aluminum bloop tube that clamps to the smooth part of the end of the barrel. The extended sight radius will help.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:12 PM
blue72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2020, 03:27 PM
john the plinker
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good job! Some serious high tech machinery you used!
Old 06-05-2020, 05:20 PM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john the plinker View Post
Good job! Some serious high tech machinery you used!
I don't think the file will ever be the same
Old 06-05-2020, 06:51 PM
62Ranger13
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Outstanding!
Old 06-13-2020, 11:01 PM
LR308Guy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Great job, love the complex engineering and machine work involved.
it is a well thought out piece of work.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:34 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the compliments, guys. It's turned what was another scoped rifle in the safe into something that's a fun alternative.

While the Tikka has the potential to be an amazing rifle accuracy-wise, the stock design and light weight make it a challenging rifle to shoot consistently. My scoped rifle expectations are a bit higher than those for iron sights.

I'm hoping they'll introduce a heavier "varmint" version of the T1x (T1V, maybe?) at some point in the future.

A friend shot the rifle yesterday and got some one-hole groups with it at 25 yards. Another convert maybe?