LINUX - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:34 AM
lefty222
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)

That's the one place l don't like going into, to me it's like going into a cave no light and unarmed.
ls, there a setting in the bios that could be easily found l aim now running in Linux?
Old 05-09-2020, 07:45 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Every computer/chip set is a little different. But during boot up, there should be a key you can press, ESC or F2 perhaps. This will interrupt your boot process and take you to a DOS-type BIOS screen. There will be a list of drives for a boot sequence. Most older computers check either a CD-Rom or another drive first before going to the boot sector of the main drive in case the HDD fails and you need to boot from another device. But the list is editable. The computer checks the drives listed one at a time for a boot sequence. We are quickly getting to the limits of my knowledge about these things, though.

FWIW, some Linux distributions allow you to set up a "dual boot" system where the computer will give you an option at start up for which OS you want to run. That might be a practical solution in your case.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Last edited by flangster; 05-09-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:45 AM
lefty222

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Thanks for for your replay your little knowledge well surpasses my, but l will keep chipping away at it little by little, they should make a sticky on other IOS or add it to to the forum listing I'm sure other could use help, l know this is a gun site but you need a computer to get here.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:07 PM
lefty222

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron IL View Post
I have been running Linux for several years now. I dual booted with windoz for quite a while and found I quit using windoz completely. I run the mint version. I recently dumped windoz and installed the newest version 19.1. It had just come out. Problems with quite a bit of stuff not able to work. I finally dumped it and went back to Mint 18.3. Everything loaded back up and running normal again. I normally don't upgrade to new systems until they get the bugs out. I will stay with this one until it times out now. It just runs too good. I don't even own a windoz computer. Linux does everything I want it to do.
Did you have an old copy of mint 18.3 or were you still able to down it from there Webb site? l downloaded mint 19.3 and installed it on a pair HD in my PC but it seems to have some bugs in it not everything is working, can get my printer to work mint. wish l had one more HD l would put 18.3 on it and see how it pans out.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:27 PM
lefty222

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Every computer/chip set is a little different. But during boot up, there should be a key you can press, ESC or F2 perhaps. This will interrupt your boot process and take you to a DOS-type BIOS screen. There will be a list of drives for a boot sequence. Most older computers check either a CD-Rom or another drive first before going to the boot sector of the main drive in case the HDD fails and you need to boot from another device. But the list is editable. The computer checks the drives listed one at a time for a boot sequence. We are quickly getting to the limits of my knowledge about these things, though.

FWIW, some Linux distributions allow you to set up a "dual boot" system where the computer will give you an option at start up for which OS you want to run. That might be a practical solution in your case.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
l found another way to boot the driver's you want on startup without going into the bios and that is to kill the power that is going into the drive that you didn't want to boot and it will boot the next HD in line and that would be Linux in my PC, so until happy with mint 19.3 and it is fully working to my liking l can bounce back and forth with going into the bios right now I'm just pulling the plug not what l want to all the time so l found a sata power switch that could handle four HD switch it is plug and play once hooked up you just push the on the button for the HD you want to use, l will get 3rd HD and l will play with another OS, l kind of like that one HD with a couple of OS got to keep my mind going all the ranges l use are closed even the club l belong to.

Link to the Sata switch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDD-Power-C...72.m2749.l2649