Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Local Gun Store got some Colt Woodsman pistols in stock

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  bangbang 
#1 ·
Long story short, I've got some guns I'm trying to sell to save for a Vudoo and to clear out some room in the safe. Isn't going well. Nobody's buying. People must be hold'in on to their cash due to economic uncertainty. I'll have to save the dough another way.

So I'm thinking of just trading in some stuff at the local gun store.

Some Colt Woodsman Match Targets showed up. Seems interesting. Maybe I'd like to have one.

WOODSMAN MATCH TARGET: $900

MATCH TARGET: $1,295

WOODSMAN MATCH TARGET: $1,995

Last one is engraved by Neil Hartliep.

Prices reasonable? Any tell tale signs I should look for that a gun has been fired with high velocity ammo? Anything else I should look for in a Colt Woodsman? Whatever I get, I'll definitely shoot it. It's not gonna sit in the safe to be fondled once in a while.

See less See more
#2 ·
you dont say if you tried to sell on any gun selling/auction sites on the internet.

you will get way more lookers.

but when you say people are holding onto their $$$ due to whats going on, i saw that months ago when i was selling my toys.

but what it comes down to is that there are people with secure jobs and much bigger salaries or even if they are retired/unemployed they dont have to worry about $$$.

You could always put them up for sale on the web and put a reserve and see what happens, if you want.

to me, there are always collectors out there, its just that you need the exposure.

#3 · (Edited)
All of those Woodsman are rated for high velocity ammo, so that is not a concern.

Prices are tough to determine unless you are actively in the market. In this market, the $900 shooter-grade one is high. It will not appeal to a collector due to condition and lack of rarity, and most shooters will not want to spend $900 as a Challenger can be had for $400 (I just bought one from a website for that exact price and am refinishing it in Cerakote). Whether target sights, a last shot hold open, wood grips, and the magazine release location are worth $500 to a shooter is tough to say, but I am doubtful.

My feelings are the same for the $1300 Match Target, but that price is closer as condition is better, the grip adapter is present, and the wood grips are very nice. That pistol will likely sit for some time before it sells, and it will likely sell for closer to $900 than $1300.

The engraved one is a wild card as the engraver is a "name". Personally I would buy that pistol for my collection, knowing it would never be fired.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
I think the prices are a little high. That $1300 MT has replacement grips and the original 2nd series grips are almost impossible to find. Actually I think the $900 MT is not too bad of a price. I rarely see them much lower than that and for a shooter it looks ok to me. I would try to get the price down on it. Looks like 3rd series grips on a second series gun on that one so not sure if the mag latch has interference. I don't know anything about values of engraved guns.

#5 ·
Woodsman

I saw those Colts when first listed. This gun shop normally has a good feel for what the market can bear as they list on Guns International as well. You may want to ask if the Colts are owned by the gun shop or are they on consignment. If on consignment you could make a reasonable offer and they can call the owner. I have bought guns from them for many years. Good folks that have a good return policy.

#6 ·
It sure seems like the first MT pictured is a Second Series pistol with Third Series grips.

The mag release won't work with that configuration, unless someone knows a trick I don't.

$1200 should get you a pretty nice original Second Series 6" MT.

A nice 4.5" Second Series MT is a whole 'nuther story. :rolleyes:

#13 ·
fwiw, i like odd.

so having a foreign proof mark is "odd" to me. Since it left the country and came back somehow.

i have a couple firearms with with import marks. I also have a S&W that was lovingly modded from 38 spec to 22LR. They made a barrel for it to match the original (it appears). But it had proof marks too.

#11 ·
It is not import stamped. It was proofed in another country and that is not the same. It is still a nice 3rd series Match Target Woodsman.

I purchased a S&W 586 revolver brand new while in England. It has British proof marks and I wouldn't knock a red cent off the value because of it were I inclined to sell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.