light primer strikes - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:43 PM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Hi Cottontail, I had an issue like that a few years back. It was a MkIII, and would give light strikes often, from the day I bought it.
My issue was inside the main spring housing. During assembly the top "plunger" or hammer strut cup was missing. Never installed. When you took the main spring housing out, and looked into the hole, you were able to see the spring.

It was a 4 dollar part, but a real PIA to install. I made a jig to remove the mainspring, then reinstall it with the proper parts.

I never heard of this prior to my issue. It is sure worth looking at.

Good luck

Rich
Old 01-12-2021, 03:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
94% (12)
Just get bolt upgrade kit from volquartsen firing pin and extractor then if you still have issues send it to ruger or try different bolt!
Old 01-15-2021, 07:59 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Read all the posts, have an 86 era MkII wife has a current MkIII. On both of them I polished the sides of the firing pin starting with 400 paper and finishing with 2000. Then went over all the edges with an Arkansas stone. Also polished the groove in the bolt the pin runs in. On the MkIII I filled the notch in the firing pin to allow it about .006 more forward travel, it still has the loaded round indicator.........wife likes it.

Rich