brass jag question - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-06-2021, 04:26 PM
ky4some

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
brass jag question

Ok, so I've decided to go with a one piece cleaning rod. Either going with Hoppe's carbon fiber or the Proshot micro polished steel.

For jags I prefer the pointed jags rather than the eye jag. My question is do I get a .22 caliber jag or .20 caliber for a .22 caliber handgun? Don't want to get something stuck again. And any suggestions of quality brand products are welcome.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:35 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I've never had any issues using a .22 rod in a .22lr barrel. If your asking about brand recommendations for a brass jag I would say it doesn't really matter, it's a pretty hard item for a manufacturer to screw up. Same goes for the cleaning rod. I use coated or carbon fiber on my rifle barrels but when it comes to pistols I still use a cheap aluminum rod. I'm not too concerned about hitting the sides on a short barrel. And even if you do an aluminum rod probably isn't going to hurt a steel barrel.

Last edited by Nick7274; 01-06-2021 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:40 PM
Pat McCoy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I too prefer the flat or pointed jags, as opposed to the slotted ones.

I think your original problem (stuck patch) came from too large a patch. I cut mine to about 5/8" and they still clean fine. I use BoreTech Rimfire Blend to clean, and finish with Slipp2000 oil for storage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2021, 10:13 AM
Rick H.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
FYI, the last stuck patch I fixed for a local was due to the fact he had installed a patch that was too big for his jag. The "tails" on the patch became wedged between the rear shoulder of the jag and the inside of the barrel. He made it worse by pulling on the rod in a vain attempt at removal and all he accomplished was to wedge the patch tighter against the barrel and jag. If the ends of the patch extend beyond the shoulders of the jag you are headed for trouble and a lot of work. It takes two seconds to check this and a pair of scissors to fix it.

Rick H.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:01 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like to apply my bore cleaner using a slotted jag, let things sit for a few minutes, and then use a solid jag to finish up with.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:44 PM
ky4some

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
FYI, the last stuck patch I fixed for a local was due to the fact he had installed a patch that was too big for his jag. The "tails" on the patch became wedged between the rear shoulder of the jag and the inside of the barrel. He made it worse by pulling on the rod in a vain attempt at removal and all he accomplished was to wedge the patch tighter against the barrel and jag. If the ends of the patch extend beyond the shoulders of the jag you are headed for trouble and a lot of work. It takes two seconds to check this and a pair of scissors to fix it.

Rick H.
Good tip, thank you!
Old 01-07-2021, 01:13 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you use Pro-Shot products, they have several sized patches for use with 22 rimfire that can be used to avoid stuck patches. Their 1 inch round patches are listed for use with 20 caliber up to 270 caliber; I find that these are a bit too large for my 22 rimfire handguns, so instead I use the 3/4 inch square patches. The Pro-Shot 3/4 inch square patches are listed for use for 17 caliber to 22 rimfire, and I find that they work great in my 22 rimfire handguns. I use them with the Pro=Shot 22 caliber brass jag, they clean the bore without being overly tight.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They come in drastically different thicknesses as well. I've picked up different kits over the years and the ones that come with large calibre sets are substantially thicker than others. It might just be different manufacturers or quality, but I use the thin ones in 223/5.56 and now 22.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I use the Dewey pointed jags;

https://deweyrods.com/product/22-cal...male-threaded/

With the Pro Shot 1 1/8" square cotton flannel patches when cleaning from the chamber, you can run it back and forth with solvent in the leade area and cleans like it was a Parker Hale jag. Works great for .22 rifles and pistols.

Last edited by ammohog; 01-07-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:26 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Dewey's older .22 jags years ago use to have cross hatching across the ribs before the new smoothy ribs, and I believe a diameter change...

After making a request and asking about the change, Mr. Dewey himself talked with me on the phone, sent me the last two out of his top drawer, FREE!
... said folks were saying the old style was ruing their barrels and was asked for a change

They were a little 'robust' but could make them perfect with a file, I had used them for years

My jags don't get much use any more

Just a little story for the evening for the jag enthusiasts

pipestone
Old 01-07-2021, 09:12 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've been using a set of brass jags I got from Midway quite some time ago. It has jags for every caliber I own, plus a few and they are extremely well made. However, the most important point has already been made- use patches that fit your bore or you will have problems.

With rifles, I like to soup up the patch while it is on the jag just as I'm pushing it into the barrel through the bore guide. I've always felt this gave the best chance of coating the entire bore with cleaner and the patch drops off at the muzzle so it doesn't drag dirt back through the bore...
Old 01-11-2021, 01:49 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky4some View Post
For jags I prefer the pointed jags rather than the eye jag. My question is do I get a .22 caliber jag or .20 caliber for a .22 caliber handgun? Don't want to get something stuck again. And any suggestions of quality brand products are welcome.
Either will work fine if you experiment and find the correct size of patch.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:03 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
I like to apply my bore cleaner using a slotted jag, let things sit for a few minutes, and then use a solid jag to finish up with.
I use only a pointed jag. I run a few patches through until they are coming out nearly clean, then leave the bore wet with Hoppe's 9 for a couple of hours, with the barrel laying horizontal, then repeat. It is amazing how much more crude and copper comes out after a good soaking like that. I will do three or four cycles that way before the bore is clean. I have bore brushes and fancy solvents and various "removers" but rarely use them any more.

After the soak for a couple of hours the patches look like this:

Last edited by SavagePlinker; 01-13-2021 at 12:36 PM.