LR/ELR Targets - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:28 PM
TT92
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
LR/ELR Targets

I am hosting a Rimfire Long Range match in July. There will be five stages, with steel targets at 100, 225, 285, 300, and 355 yards. I think I have a pretty solid plan for the course of fire.

What Im flexible on is what size targets to employ. Im thinking 3 round at 100, 6 round at 225, 10 round at 285, 12 square at 300, and a 2/3 IPSC (about 12x16) at 355.

Ive shot a couple NRL22 and Rimfire PRS matches, but the matches I have gone to only stretched a little past 100 yards. But the targets were pretty tiny, down to 1 MOA or so, which is fun. My above plan keeps targets generally in the 3-4 MOA size range, considering the longer distances.

For those of you with more experience at LR Rimfire matches (and I mean matches, not just shooting on your own), what size targets seem most common/reasonable?
Old 06-08-2020, 09:36 AM
TT92
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
A week here with no responses, so I'll fill in with what I have found.

Seems there isn't much of a standard for Rimfire ELR targets, although I have seen several mentions of 12"x12" steel for 400 yard targets.

The only standard i found useful was the following language from ELRCentral.com:

"ELR Rimfire is defined as 300+ yards, but all targets dont need to be at that distance to qualify as an ELR match. As long as more than 1/2 of the targets are located beyond 300 yards, the match is considered to be an ELR Rimfire Match."

In case anyone else might be looking for good targets, I did locate some terrific steel from JC Steel Targets. They have a line of rimfire targets that are only 3/16" thick, AR500, and when hung on a steel hook ring like a loud bell when struck by a little, slow, 40gr bullet. The light weight of the targets plus their ringing qualities will enhance a spotter's ability to identify hits. I have had some trouble reliably spotting hits with my heavier steel (the plate may not move much) or when hung by rubber or firehose straps (dampening the sound).
Old 06-08-2020, 10:05 AM
MacMoov
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The following link has some of the courses of fire for the matches hosted in my local area. https://midatlanticrimfireseries.wordpress.com/matches/

Only a few of the early matches were not cancelled due to Covid, but there are a couple of examples for you to review. Matches are just starting to pick back up with the first one next weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2020, 11:04 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I run an informal match for a bunch of we old retired people (ROP Match) that has been paper only so far. While in hibernation, we've discussed having a .22 long range match as a change up.

My Bergara rifle has been sighted in using official NRA .22 rimfire silhouette targets with chickens at 100, pigs at 150, turkeys at 200 and rams at 250. For the match, however, we plan on beginning with the 3/8 size pistol silhouettes which are larger. As the scores rise, I'll begin working in the NRA targets among the larger ones to increase the difficulty. Seeing the targets go down when hit is always fun.

Our idea is to have fun and not make it so difficult that shooters don't come back.

The sizes you've selected for your match would seem to be OK and I think you'll have a great time. You may want to consider some odd shapes rather than just circles.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:17 PM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Think you have good target sizes. I never design my matches for the best shooters. People want to hit targets and enjoy the match. Adding a few smaller (gamble/slightly higher value) targets give the better shooters a target to challenge them. It might move them up a bit or can be misses.

A shooter can also start out on the larger then drop down for their next shot or stay on the bigger one. Sounds like you have things figured out and should be a fun match.

Good Luck

Topstrap
Old 06-08-2020, 02:25 PM
MacMoov
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would also add, many of our clubs use the Magneto Speed target indicators for those 250+ yard longer range shots. They work with 22LR.

https://magnetospeed.com/products/t1...-hit-indicator
Old 06-08-2020, 02:33 PM
TT92

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMoov View Post
I would also add, many of our clubs use the Magneto Speed target indicators for those 250+ yard longer range shots. They work with 22LR.

https://magnetospeed.com/products/t1...-hit-indicator

Thank you all for the input!

MacMoov, I have used those magnetospeed flashers, they ROCK. But I've never tried them with a long-distance 22 impact. I will have an opportunity to test that in two weeks. Good idea, thank you!
Old 06-17-2020, 08:29 PM
LeShaghal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
basics

There's no standard because no one has posted a field chart of avg dispersion @ XXXyrds. The [email protected] is the best resource extant, and that would say a 4x6" group at 200yrds is your best expectation.

(We did the math and put up our 1" lollipops @ 200, we figured with the avg dispersion of SK rifle match, Best case was 35% hits with a perfect shooter. Best score of the day (33 shooters, 46 attempts) 3/10.

If were were to take the ratio of dispersal....(or rather the decay of accuracy) and come up with an equation that provided Approximate numbers; Then, and only then, could we begin to standardize targets based on whats possible in real world conditions.
But we don't so do a little guess work based on the the following:

1. determine your shooter disposition.
-Voodoo shooters with $5k scopes and a sponsorship for Center-X?
-Casual long range shooters with a nicer than usual rifle and some SK?
-First timers with a 10/22, a pocket full of thunderbolts, and a dream!

2.What's your wind like!?
-Imagine your match is a bench match where all the rifles shoot .001moa: then ask yourself, "how much spread does my range induce?" Honestly asses your wind and its effects on dispersion!

3. MOA
-Do the math! take your target demographic X, and your wind situation Y then make yourself a little X+Y=Approximate Target size in MOA

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Add a few angles to that:
-cold shots
-range finding
-"Gambler" targets (as mentioned by Topstrap)
- Some Odd shapes (Same area in square inches, different or offset center of mass, Off axis lay lines, etc.

And you have really solid course of fire.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:24 PM
mrt949

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How did your match work out
We shoot 1/5 nra silhouette targets at 50,100,150 ,200 meters
Old 01-09-2021, 11:40 AM
TT92

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt949 View Post
How did your match work out
We shoot 1/5 nra silhouette targets at 50,100,150 ,200 meters
The July match worked out great! So well, I put on another one in November.
Im using a 10 round plate and a 12 x12 plate for shots at 300 yards and beyond. One tip Id offer is the thinner steel will make a nicer ring when hit, much easier to hear. My targets are 3/16 thick.

Ive been competing locally a couple times a month in NRL22 and PRS Rimfire, but so far my two matches are the only ones in the Houston area with targets beyond 200 yards.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:00 AM
Steve Newman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TT92, congrats on the successful matches. I think your basic targets sizes are just about ideal. They are challenging enough to be difficult, but not so small as to be impossible at the longer ranges. A tip you might consider.....at each yardage have an optional, true 1 MOA target for those advanced shooters who have the skill and are feeling frisky enough to attempt them. Make it a Know Your Limits type scoring system....if you hit the 1 MOA target, you add 5 points to your score at that particular yardage; if you miss you get zero for that yardage stage. Should make it interesting!

Last edited by Steve Newman; 01-10-2021 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:48 PM
TT92

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Newman View Post
TT92, congrats on the successful matches. I think your basic targets sizes are just about ideal. They are challenging enough to be difficult, but not so small as to be impossible at the longer ranges. A tip you might consider.....at each yardage have an optional, true 1 MOA target for those advanced shooters who have the skill and are feeling frisky enough to attempt them. Make it a Know Your Limits type scoring system....if you hit the 1 MOA target, you add 5 points to your score at that particular yardage; if you miss you get zero for that yardage stage. Should make it interesting!
I like KYL racks. I had one at our November match, went down to a 1/4 target at 65 yards.