Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Taurus Model 62 on it's way

4K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  wproct 
#1 ·
Guy's/Gal's

Just purchased a used Taurus Model 62 off of GunBroker. I use to have a Rossi Model 62 and regretted getting rid of that rifle. Love the action on it. I did buy a Henry pump action to replace it but that Henry didn't come close. The Henry was not near a smooth as the Rossi was.

So I decided to find me another model 62. I finally decided on the Taurus because of the shorter barrel and the fact they have the life time warranty.

When I get it I will cut the stock down to a 12.5" LOP (for my shorter statue) and probably remove the shinny finish from the wood, refinish the wood with wax only. I like the feel of the soft warm wood that way.

Anyway really can't wait to get it. Love 22's, especially lever 22's. So this pump will fit right back into the fold.

#5 ·
Gerald,
That is a beauty, as are all of you're rifles. Thanks for posting it.

That first Rossi that I had the only problem was I had to replace the firing pin. The nub that locked the action up with the hammer back was worn down. New firing pin took care of that. Never had a problem again with it.

Hoping for the best on this one.

#6 ·
Congratulations J, know you've been wanting one. Does it shoot s, l, lr? Or just lr?

No scope on a pump, top eject. So what sights are you gonna use? Its too bad the Henry didn't work out. Im assuming not smooth means not able to rrck another round in easily off the shoulder. My win 1906 , ugly but is as smooth as glass . Hope your Taurus is the same:bthumb:

#7 ·
Toomany22s,
The Henry's work just fine, but they are stiffer to rack because the way they are designed. They racked like you mean it. They work great just stiffer.

I will probably end up putting a set of Skinner sights on this rifle. Take the original rear leaf sight out and replace it with a peep sight.

Wish I could put a red dot on it, but you need a 22 with factory or peep sights for that quick shot once in a while. Like when coyotes are coming to close to the dogs or property. Stray dogs attacking yours on your property and have to have a quick grab of the rifle no time to mess with Red Dot.

So this should be good for all that.

#9 · (Edited)
I live in a vey rural area, I have had two Boston's killed by neighbors dogs over the last 10 years. I have three dogs myself. A mutt medium size female, a Chocolate Lab male that weighs 110 pounds and another Boston my wife's dog.

So yes once in a while if I don't recognize them I dispatch them. Immediate neighbors, I know their dogs and just give them a call and chase them off.

Skunks are really bad. Last year my dogs got skunked three different times. Man that stuff smells horrible for weeks.

#11 ·
Well Guy's/Gal's

Got my Taurus Model 62 in on Wednesday afternoon. On inspection the rifle looks very little of use on it. Loading or Shucking the action it is a little stiff but I believe that is because it has not been used much. Loved the looks of the rifle right off and also Loved the size of that small 16.5" barrel and 13" LOP. Feels great to shoulder.

But while inspecting it I noticed that the Magazine inner tube was missing. It was showing on the pictures on GunBroker. I went ahead and signed for the rifle and took it home. I figured the guy sent it by mistake, so I figured they would find it and everything would be ok.

Called the seller and he said that he boxed the rifle up and the magazine tube was there. I told him I was there when it was unboxed and that we looked in the box 3 times and there was no magazine tube to be found. He looked around the gun shop with no luck. Told him if he could see about getting me one and I would also see what I could find.

About 2 hours later he called me and said he found the magazine tube. He had placed the rifle muzzle down in a tube while he was getting the shipping box ready. Said he remembered doing that and checked, sure enough that is where it was.

I asked him to ship it over night if he would, He said he would try. He finally sent me a tracking number and it is suppose to be delivered this Friday 11-8-2019.

Can't wait to get this little rifle to the range.

#12 ·
Glad to hear that the seller found the magazine tube, hope it gets delivered undamaged. My Rossi 62 looks almost identical to the one Gerald has in condition and color of wood except mine has an octagon barrel. They are great little rifles, light weight and fun to shoot.

#13 ·
wproct,
Got the magazine tube today (11-8-2019) It was packaged very well but still the magazine follower was really bent. So much so it would not go into the magazine tube. I tried to slowly bend it back but it broke/snapped. Should have heated it up.

So I ordered one follower from GunPartsCorp and another Brass style like came in the rifles original magazine. This one stated for a Henry .22, but I am sure it is the same length and will work just as good as the original but it will be brass.

I did make the old broken one work though, until the new one arrives. I ended up taking the broken vase part looking end and drilled a hole through the center the same size of the shaft that broke. Sanded the shaft to ruff it up and added a little superglue. put the pieces together and looks good and works well.

The rifle is a very good shooter and really enjoyed it today before I had to stop and run errands.

Love the small short size of this rifle. Life is good, to steel it from Hickok45.

#14 ·
Glad you like that model 62, Looked high and low for mine and tried hard to like it but the hammer was raising cain with the knuckle on my thumb. I made a curved brass butt plate for mine and it came out really good. With 32 hours of work it should have. Anyway a friend wanted it badly and he is the proud new owner now. Enjoy!
Anita

#17 ·
Ok Guy's/Gal's
Got the new follower in, and the rifle is running great. Now I just need to get to the range and do some paper punching in the next couple of weeks to set the sights properly. This rifle with that 16" barrel is very small little package. I am going to enjoy shooting her very much.

Between my new S&W model 41 with the three barrel that I purchased and set scopes and Red Dots on. My new Henry .410 Lever action ( shortening the LOP)

I have plenty of range work for sighting things in properly this week.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Roadrat, that is a nice rifle and very nice photo!:bthumb: I love my octagon bbl Rossi 62 for what it is. It has a very nice crisp trigger and good action. However, the sights are crude and accuracy is so-so, good for making tin cans bounce around, and that's really what I bought it for. It's just a fun little rifle to carry and shoot.

#26 ·
I think that it is some of both in my rifle as well. The bore and rifling are far from perfect. Externally my rifle is in very nice condition and I don't think it has been abused or neglected, I have just come to believe that the barrels on these rifles are not top notch, at least the two that I have owned haven't been.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.