Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

TX22 Range Report

8K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  outdoors 
#1 · (Edited)
As I mentioned before, I bought a TX22 at my local LGS over the weekend in a combo deal where I received the TX22, a Rossi RS22, and 500 rounds of Remington Thunderbolt 22LR ammo for the price of the TX22. Then there is the rebate. The example that I purchased seems to be well made with no chatter in the rifling.

This afternoon, I took the pistol to the range after I had cleaned it. For ammo, I took a bulk packaged box of Federal Auto Match.

I put 256 rounds through the pistol with nary a hitch, standing, using a two-hand isosceles hold. Everything worked like it was supposed to. I shot 4 targets - two at 30 feet and two at 45. On the first target, I had to get used to the trigger. It has a long, mushy takeup similar, but not the same as, to a Glock. Just before sear release, the resistance increases dramatically. Without testing it with a trigger gauge, I am going to estimate that the trigger breaks around 4.5 to 5 pounds.

With the first target, I was getting used to the pistol, so it was nothing to write home about. The sights on this pistol are a pretty high visibility three dot model. While they are small, they are easy to see and aim. On the second target at 30 feet, I could see the group tightening up the more I shot. The second target was much better. Out of 64 rounds, all but 4 were in a two inch circle. I am sure that the 4 that were outside the 9 ring were due to me pulling the shots.

The third and fourth targets were 64 rounds each at 45 feet. On the third target, all the rounds were in a 3 inch circle (8 ring) with the vast majority inside two inches (9 ring). The fourth target had 6 out of 64 outside the 8 ring, and at that point, I figured I was experiencing fatigue, since I had not been shooting pistol for the last 6 months.

Overall, I was pleased with the gun's performance. I can see this as the woods handgun I was hoping it would be. The combination of weight, good sights, and capacity mean I will be taking it with me a lot - just as soon as I acquire a holster.

Considering the combo deal in which I bought it, I think the TX22 is an excellent value. It's not a Ruger Mk IV, but then, it was not intended to be. My only major concern is how long the plastic magazines will hold up.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Glad you're liking yours so far and having good luck with it. You got a sweet deal getting the RS22 thrown in.

The barrel quality seems to be hit or miss. Some folks have had bad barrels, more than once. My first TX22 has mild chattering but it doesn't seem to affect my accuracy or lead fouling in the barrel. I've got 700 rounds through it with zero malfunctions of any sort. I've since bought another in FDE that I've put 200 rounds through with no failures either. It has no chattering at all that I can see. I got this second one for $251 before the $50 rebate. Not bad.

I feel bad for the folks who are experiencing bad barrels. I guess I just got lucky with mine. I'll continue to enjoy them until something goes wrong. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

#7 ·
With mine, I've put more than 1000 rounds though it, no leading issues, and I have NOT cleaned the barrel with anything other than a couple of passes with a boresnake. After about 200 rounds, it started shooting really well, and so I am going to shoot it until the groups open up.

At the price of the gun, if it lasts for 5000 rounds, I'll have spent more on ammo than the pistol.

#9 ·
With all the bad barrel posts, I wanted to add a positive post. I love my TX22. Barrel looks fine. No issues in 700ish rounds. All shot suppressed. I will probably buy a fiber optic front sight because my eyes aren't great. And a few more magazines. Oh, and a second TX22 so wife and I don't have to pass it back and forth. TX22+Full Mag+ Form 1 Suppressor=23oz. Fantastic.

#12 ·
Lakeline has other Taurus sights I like. But they are not listed for TX22 fitment. An email confirmed they do fit but as they are steel sights, LL does not recommend using them. They are concerned about a customer damaging his aluminum slide installing steel sights. As someone who has installed their sights, how likely is it?

#11 · (Edited)
On the first target, I had to get used to the trigger. It has a long, mushy takeup similar, but not the same as, to a Glock. Just before sear release, the resistance increases dramatically. Without testing it with a trigger gauge, I am going to estimate that the trigger breaks around 4.5 to 5 pounds.
Don't forget to utilize the short trigger reset and lighter trigger pull.

That takes some getting used to training the finger position, but it gives the ability to line up a more precise shot, or rapid fire.

#13 ·
I installed the steel rear sight and had no problem. You do have to file the rear sight to fit the dove tail slot, but it's not hard to do with needle file. Just take your time and file then try it in the slot until you get a snug fit. I felt it was worth the effort.

Pck

#16 ·
#19 ·
Fired my friend's TX22 yesterday for the first time. I think he said he has 800 rds and one FTF, that was reloaded and fired normally. The rear sight seems to be a tad problematic but with or without his Dead Air Mask suppressor it worked pretty darn well in my estimation. Like many on this forum I have had a fairly large pile of .22s over the years and a lot of handguns. I would rank this one close to the top in terms of value, ergonomics and that trigger is pretty darn good right out of the box. As a trainer for beginners who have or want one of the new plastic wonder nines it would be hard to beat.

#20 ·
I've put more than 3000 rounds through mine since I cleaned it last (after about 500 initial rounds). Federal Automatch, CCI SV, Wolf MT, Winchester M-22, CCI Minimags, Aguila SuperExtra HV, and Winchester SS HP. It all cycles, some groups are better than others (CCI Minimags, CCI SV), and it's a lot of fun! A great trainer for anyone with a striker-fired SD pistol.

I've looked at the new Glock 44 -- a dedicated 22LR pistol. 10 round mags and a mushy trigger. The TX-22 has it all over the Glock, IMO.

#23 ·
[/QUOTE]
The Glock & the Taurus are the only striker fired .22's on the market.
I bought some extra mags & had some failures to feed. Each was the first time loaded & I put all 16 in each. All ammo was Mini-Mags.[/QUOTE]

Try using the loading tool provided. Rimmed cases are a little picky. The rim of any given case must be in front of the rim of the case below. This might help with your feeding issues. I know I have to watch for this.

#26 ·
As stated, the factor sights are subpar. Dressed mine up with a FFIII which upped the fun factor a bit. Before I installed the plate and FFIII, my TX22 would function great with all ammo tested. After installing the sight, the 36gr bulk champion was not as reliable as before but all 40gr was good to go which is fine since I have a pile of bulk federal (white box).

Forged Tec makes a nice holster and will also customize it to fit the a red dot.

I purchased a magazine extension from Galloway and have not been pleased with it. Usually has an issue with the first 3-6 rounds regardless of ammo flavor.

#27 ·
Aluminum slide is lightweight. Adding weight to it will alter the reciprocating mass & slow down the cycling enough where lighter bullets won't reliably cycle the slide. Reducing the recoil spring rate would compensate. Galloway charges a premium price, would have thought they would thoroughly test everything.

#28 ·
I was expecting issues with 36gr after installing the plate and sight. I think I was getting 1-3 stovepipings per mag. I'm sure a lighter spring would correct the issue but doubt I will even bother.

Forgot to mention in the above that using a suppressor with the 36gr made them reliable. More back pressure.

#32 ·
Took mine out again today. After 3 boxes of bulk Automatch and a brick of Aguila Super Extra, I have yet to experience an FTE or FTF with this handgun. I know that is not a lot of shooting compared to some folks on this forum, but, hey, I have a lot of other rimfire firearms that need my love too.

#33 ·
One Fail to feed in about 550 rounds last weekend, I can live with that rate of failure with bulk cheap ammo.

My TX22 is more reliable regarding stoppages than my marlin 795. I think it had about 2 stoppages per about the same round count.

Taurus just needs to fix their production quality control inconsistencies and maintain good customer service with this gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.