Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Taurus TX22 bad barrel

56K views 97 replies 38 participants last post by  RUT 
#1 ·
After reading a couple of posts of complaints of bad barrels being found on the TX22 I checked mine.

The chamber on mine is not concentric with the bore and has bad chattering near the muzzle.

I'll be contacting Taurus Monday morning to get the problem resolved.

See less See more
#6 ·
Mine has chattering just like that pictured, but I have not inspected the chamber side yet.

I %%%% mine 400 rounds yesterday, and it did very well.

So, I’ll look at it some more before I decide what to do.

wbwanzer’s thoughts mirror my own.

#7 ·
I just checked my cheap-%%% Kel Tec P32 (that I paid $200 for new) and it had chattering, but not to the extent of the TX22. I'm a bit disappointed in the Taurus. It functions flawlessly, but you know in the back of your mind that it's less than perfect.

I also checked my Springfield XDE and it looked very nice. No chattering at all.

I'll be checking my other pistols as I get to them.

#9 ·
Did they have any comment about it, or just say 'Send it in'? I was hoping that you could just send the barrel in. Maybe they want the whole gun to see how it shoots with the current barrel. Then they might decide that it shoots well enough with that barrel. It will be interesting to see what Taurus does with this situation. As I've posted above, I have the chattering also. I'm sure that others do too.

#14 · (Edited)
I'd be interested in knowing if others have a chamber that is bored out of line to the bore.

What prompted me to check mine was a post where a guy had his TX22 start keyholing...he noticed his chamber was out of line and when he cleaned his barrel slivers of lead came out. My wasn't leading yet but accuracy was poor. An out of line chamber will cause the bullet to enter the rifling crooked and cause bullet dispersion.

What I did to look at my chamber (and bore) was secure the barrel in a vice and camera on a tripod setting the camera to manual mode to adjust shutter speed and then set focus to manual. I lined the camera up with the chamber (and bore) focusing the camera and got a pretty good view of things...then took the picture.

#49 ·
I'd be interested in knowing if others have a chamber that is bored out of line to the bore.
Mine has the chattering, but the chamber is in line with the rifling and bore.

shot the new barrel today...leaded up after a couple of hundred rounds

Wow! I've shot 300 plus rounds in mine in a session and it did not lead up like that!

I really like the design of this pistol, I like how it feels in my hand, I like the trigger, I like how it breaks down. But if Taurus can't get a good barrel on this gun, it's not going to last. :(

#17 ·
So, I called Taurus yesterday and asked them about the barrel problems I have been reading about "chattering". They said they have heard nothing about this problem.....Which is funny, because I have read multiple threads about owners sending their pistols in for the exact reason I am posting about and Taurus actually replacing the barrel. So they are either ignoring the problem.....or just flat out lying! Which is it? Makes me wondering, considering I will take ownership of one Friday.:eek:

#19 ·
Just spoke to Taurus about the TX barrel issue. The CS lady was very nice, and the shipping both ways is covered.

A few interesting things I learned -

Free shipping is covered only for the 1st 90 days, after that it's $50 - even though there is now a lifetime warranty on the actual service.

She said this was the first TX that she has written a repair ticket for.

They want the entire firearm and all magazines returned. Also said to include a spent case.

They wanted my DL number and wanted the firearm shipped to the address on it. I made other arrangements.

She said up to 12 weeks.

I'll send it in next week, and we'll see what happens.

My luck isn't that good. This is my 3rd new gun that has had to go back to the factory for repairs in the last 6 mo or so. The others were a S&W and a Ruger - so it's not just Taurus.

#20 · (Edited)
I called Taurus CS on 4/15/2019 about the TX22 barrel issue. A rep wrote up a repair ticket and emailed me a shipping label.

I checked the tracking number and they received the TX22 on 4/17/2019

As of this morning 4/18/2019 when I checked the Check Repair Status on their site it only says Firearm Received...so they haven't had a look at it yet.

#21 ·
I called Taurus CS on 4/15/2019 about the TX22 barrel issue. A rep wrote up a repair ticket and emailed me a shipping label.

I checked the tracking number and they received the TX22 on 4/17/2019

As of this morning 4/18/2019 when I checked the Check Repair Status on their site it only says Firearm Received...so they haven't had a look at it yet.
Update as of 4/24/2019: Taurus Check Repair Status now shows Repairs Completed.

#25 ·
Shipped it to Taurus 4/15/2019
Got the TX back today 4/26/2019

They had it 5 business days...Good Friday wasn't counted. Not bad service time wise.

They replaced the barrel. The new barrel has worse chattering but at least the chamber is concentric with the bore on this one. They also did not return the magazine I was requested to send in with the gun.

Won't have time to shoot it till after the weekend.

#26 ·
So it sounds like some good news and some bad news. I'm glad they sent you a new barrel instead of saying that there is nothing wrong with the old one (that was a possibility in my mind). And that fixed your concentric problem. It's disappointing that the new barrel still has 'chatter' and they kept your magazine. But at least they did it in a timely manner. Hopefully it shoots well for you.

#27 ·
I have more than twenty 22’s. I am very familiar with Taurus’ reputation and know that their new management team is trying to improve their image by making real improvements. I was ready to order a TX22 based on the good things that I heard. After seeing the pictures of their barrels, I will be ordering a Ruger. They may have a material problem but they definitely have reaming and rifling issues. If I ran the company and my people said that was the best that they could do, I would subcontract barrel production. As a customer who expects a pistol to last and perform, I am not willing to play barrel roulette. When the TX22 was introduced, the perception was that Taurus had a winner. Now I think that they a a lot of people that will want to wait for a year of good barrel feedback before they will buy a TX22.
This is the same problem that S&W had with their M&P Compact and I still wouldn’t buy one of them until I did a thorough barrel inspection.

#28 ·
I sent mine in a few weeks ago for the chattering issue on a Tuesday. I got it back the next week Thursday, a total of nine days. I put a note in with the gun requesting that they replace the barrel. There was a hand-written note in the box when I got it back that said "I replaced the barrel" and the initials of the repair person. There was a repair slip in the box that said it was test fired with 32 rounds of CCI Mini Mag 36 gr. hollow points. The bore of the barrel I got back with the gun looks fine - no chatter marks at all.

I think the new barrel had shrunk the groups by 1.5-2" at 25 yards. I'm getting on average 2.75" at 25 yards, benched with Mini Mag 40 gr.

#32 ·
I took my wife with me this morning and we put another 200 rounds through the TX22. No problems whatsoever. The barrel accuracy seems pretty good to me even though I have some 'chattering'. I shot my best group of the day very near the end of the 200 rounds. I haven't inspected the bore yet, but fouling can't be too much of a problem for me as I just shot it better than ever. I don't think I'm going to send mine in for a new barrel. This one seems to be working well for me and I'm not convinced that Taurus would return a better barrel.

#37 ·
Finally did a close inspection of my barrel after seeing all the posts about chattering, guess I got lucky as mine seems pretty smooth. I've run about 400 rounds total of MiniMags (round nose), Blazer, Federal and Aquila Super Extra thru it with only one FTF, and that was with a Federal. It has a much better trigger than my M&P 22 Compact, so I think I'll keep the TX.