Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Taurus TX22 bad barrel

56K views 97 replies 38 participants last post by  RUT 
#1 ·
After reading a couple of posts of complaints of bad barrels being found on the TX22 I checked mine.

The chamber on mine is not concentric with the bore and has bad chattering near the muzzle.

I'll be contacting Taurus Monday morning to get the problem resolved.

See less See more
#76 ·
I got my barrel in yesterday-took about a month to show up.

My original barrel had no marks on the left side and the new barrel has a II on the left side.

I always thoroughly clean a new barrel and did the same with this one. Ran a few patches of Bore Tech Rimfire Blend and then ran a .22 bore brush through the barrel a few times. Patch came out black and inside of barrel still had some trash in it.

Ran my bore scope through the barrel and saw the problem which was that it appeared that the outside blueing/finish was on the inside of the barrel and was NOT evenly applied like it is on the outside of the barrel. In fact, it looked pretty crappy and I was NOT happy. Could have been some kind of corrosion preventative but if it was, it set up really hard...

I put some Flitz on a patch and ran it through the barrel just a few strokes and it came out pitch black-WAY more than normal for a few strokes as Flitz is really fine. Inserted the bore scope and it looked much better. Ran about 4 or 5 patches with Flitz giving each one about 10 strokes and it now looks awesome.

The chamber is beautifully finished as is the ramped portion if each land that starts at the beginning of the rifling. and the crown is beautifully cut. The lands and grooves have a MINIMAL amount of ANY toolmarks showing and I'm sure that the Flitz treatment REALLY put the shine on the barrels interior. Have to admit that the barrel looks better than my Federsen barrels and is ALMOST as nice as my KIDD barrels. I know the Flitz has a lot to do with it but you have to have something to work with in the first place.

Have to admit I'm really kinda shocked as to how nice the barrel interior looks now!

I'm really glad I checked and did all of this cleaning before I starting shooting the pistol.

#77 ·
That is some good info, I used some JB Bore Paste on mine but may need to go at it again. My main hang up on this TX22 is it does not like to stabilize the rounds when suppressed, I was worried my can was the problem, but it runs well on two other .22 pistols. Kind of perplexed over it, since a 1/3 of the impacts on paper look like a keyhole. Was the reason I got a replacement barrel... and they both do it.

I did call Taurus this morning to ask if the I or II stamping was perhaps a indication of what barrel series it is, but they could not provide the info since the barrel is manufactured by an outside company. They did not share the company, or a contact to ask either.

#78 ·
That is some good info, I used some JB Bore Paste on mine but may need to go at it again. My main hang up on this TX22 is it does not like to stabilize the rounds when suppressed, I was worried my can was the problem, but it runs well on two other .22 pistols. Kind of perplexed over it, since a 1/3 of the impacts on paper look like a keyhole. Was the reason I got a replacement barrel... and they both do it.

I did call Taurus this morning to ask if the I or II stamping was perhaps a indication of what barrel series it is, but they could not provide the info since the barrel is manufactured by an outside company. They did not share the company, or a contact to ask either.
Are you sure the bullets aren't lightly hitting the suppressor somewhere? I don't have any key hole issues. With either of my Form 1 cans.

#79 ·
Thanks for the response, I ruled the suppressor out today. As I do not get the slight key hole concern when I use that suppressor on my S&W Compact or the Scorpion. I just decided that this TX22 will not be a suppressed weapon, as I really like the thing for what it is. Take care man...

#82 ·
keyhole

That's a real shame. It's a great host. My original barrel keyholed badly but the replacement fixed it. Any way the adapter could be your problem? My adapter gets dirtier than the barrel. Had to use a drop of loctite on the original barrel to keep adapter in place.

#80 ·
wait time

Called Taurus Tuesday 6/16. Was on hold 10 minutes. Told rep that my pistol was keyholing. She got my address and serial# and told me that the barrels are backordered with no ETA. Barrel came today. It was dirty like the previous poster said. Looks good after cleaning. 50 shot group with the new barrel is tighter than a 5 shot was with the original.

#85 · (Edited)
I called them on October 3rd, and told them that I had a TX22 with a rough bore. They told me that they would ship a replacement barrel but it might take up to 10 weeks. With everything going on and with the local ranges being closed, I waited until June 16th to call and was told that I would receive a new barrel within two weeks. I called on July 6th and was told that the computers were down. I called on July 13 and was told that I would have the barrel within 3 weeks.

I am still waiting. I really like the TX22 but the even allowing for vendor delays and coved problems, it appears that their customer service is nonexistent.

Update: I called again today and after waiting 40 minutes, I spoke to someone who checked and made a comment that I needed a non-threaded barrel. The guy who entered my order in October put in the wrong part number. So I asked when they can ship a standard barrel, I got the same answer..... maybe two to four weeks.

#87 ·
My shooting buddy has the same problem. Our LGS where he bought his replaced the gun and the replacement had the same problem. A new barrel was ordered and seven weeks later it came in and leaded up first session. Anyone know if an aftermarket barrel is available? Just for the record, my TX is an early one and shoots great...

#88 ·
Most folks get all exciterated whenever a new product is introduced and they want to be the first one on the block with one, but it often pays to just sit back a while and wait to see if anything crops up that may require attention, tweeking, or even a design change by the manufacturer. Often times this is the case, exemplified by the early-on-in-the-game TX22 barrel issue.

After reading about the initial TX22 barrel woes I decided to hold off on purchasing one. Then of course after the issue had been "reportedly" resolved I found it impossible to locate one, and when I did by chance see an example one day at a local shop I was shocked to see the pricetag on it for $349 :mad: ...so I passed.

Six months or so later after inquiring at another local shop if they had any, they'd in fact received one that very morning - but it'd already been spoken for. Moments after finding this out from the counter help the shop owner walked by and said to me "What's up?", so I asked him if he had any other TX22's coming in and he replied no, but he'd call up the customer who'd wanted the one he'd just got in to ask if they were still interested...well, 5 minutes later the answer was no, so I bought it.

I gotta' say that I'm pleasantly surprised...it's got great ergonomics, a very "grippy" grip texture, I like it's light weight, the feel of the trigger, and the bore and chamber both look just fine. Not to mention it's reliability...it's eaten everything it's been fed through the factory 16 round mags without a hitch, including subsonics, ejecting the empties with great authority.

Finding the factory sights a bit lacking I have a set of Ameriglo orange ring front sight night sights en route direct from ShopTaurus which should help my older eyes have an easier and quicker time of target aquazishun, which should then equate to greater ackerussie po-tenshul ;) Considering the relatively low cost of the pistol I had no qualms dropping $79 + shipping on those sights. As an FYI these sights, item #322-0005-00 found here fit the Taurus G3 and G2c models as well.

It's a keeper!

#91 ·
i know I'm late to the party......but have any of you realized that the barrel does not "center" in the slide when it returns back, ready to fire? You can wiggle the dang thing. What does that mean? nothing good in my opinion

1) how could you expect much accuracy out of this thing?
2) the weight of a suppressor HAS GOT to throw accuracy off...how wouldnt?

I know my barrel has way more slack than I'd like.

#94 ·
Mine had the 3 I marks on the barrel. You can see just slight tool marks on the last half inch of the bore. The rifling is strong and even. No problems and it's accurate enough for my use. The lead build up does not seem to be any worse than anything else I own that sees rapid fire.

#95 ·
My brother-in-law just picked up a TX 22 and that thing cannot shoot with our darn at all at 11 yards and 15 yards. Does nothing but keyhole every round going through it. At first I thought it was him the way he was shooting but I started shooting it and the same thing nothing but key holding so we switched to my M&P 22 in between both of us using the same ammo that we were using on the Tx-22 there was no key holding at all and his group was a lot tighter.
I know he's not the greatest shooter cuz he's never shot in his life and he's now 67 but he was actually shooting coffee can size groups at 15 yards while he should have been even doing soda cans. So tomorrow he will be calling Taurus to see if he can get a new barrel for that thing cuz I also have pictures for documentation on everything we were doing on targets.

#97 ·
Don't waste your time and energy arguing with Taurus only to have them ship you another bad barrel.. I've been through it... just bite the bullet so to speak and order a Lakeline LLC barrel for it. A thousand times better barrel than what Taurus will give you and worth every penny.