Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Are there any types of ammunition that the Rossi rs22 has trouble with

17K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  DaveInDenver 
#1 · (Edited)
I've read that there are some types of ammunition that doesn't cycle well in the Rossi RS22. Is this a issue that can be a problem with each individual rifle . Or across the broad spectrum of all Rossi RS22's

#2 ·
Not that I've heard so far.

I haven't had a chance to take mine out yet, but 90% of my rimfire ammo is CCI SV. It's the most consistent trouble-free .22 out there, and usually groups really well in almost everything.

If my RS didn't function consistently with it I'd probably look into a different recoil spring.

I typically don't shoot higher velocity .22 ammo like MiniMags unless it's needed to cycle the slide consistently, but then I look for a mod of some kind so it will run SV ammo.

#8 · (Edited)
My Rossi rifles will function using most types of ammunition. I use CCI and Aquila mostly...but my ammo boxes contain several other manufacturers products. I don't shoot the "elite" ammo, except for a few boxes of Federal 922A Gold Medal 40gr LDRN. I don't buy much "bulk ammunition", (although I'm very interested in the Federal Hunters ammunition), so that helps.

In this regard, my Rossi's are a lot like my 597s'. Easy to please.

...and I've had very good results with the ammunition posted below.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Since I last posted in this thread I have had the RS out a few times, and it did fine with SV ammo from CCI and Aguila.

I did disassemble, clean, and lube everything, and smoothed a couple rough spots on the bolt before taking it out.

I've been spending my range time with other rifles lately, but really need to play with the RS some more. For the price it's a pretty solid little rifle, and I can recommend it without hesitation.

Did a few things to it, including adding some weight to the stock - which makes it feel a lot more substantial.

#12 ·
Since I last posed in this thread I have had the RS out a few times, and it did fine with SV ammo from CCI and Aguila.

I did disassemble, clean, and lube everything, and smoothed a couple rough spots on the bolt before taking it out.

I've been spending my range time with other rifles lately, but really need to play with the RS some more. For the price it's a pretty solid little rifle, and I can recommend it without hesitation.

Did a few things to it, including adding some weight to the stock - which makes it feel a lot more substantial.

In terms of bang for the buck, I couldn't be much happier than I am with my RS22. This budget rig shoots great. Other than cleaning up the trigger grit the internals are bone stock. I might do the Mcarbo trigger spring and a little tweaking, but for the price the stock stuff is more than good enough after cleaning it up a little.

I'm thinking about adding some stock weight also. It's so light that it's a bit tough for me to shoot offhand well. Looking at options as to where I want to add the weight.

The cheek riser isn't a bad idea either. I've modified my hold and cheek weld enough to be happy with the stocker, but the riser might give me getter consistency.

As for ammo, I've put bulk Winchester and Federal through it, then some various low end Eley, all without issue. I did have some Armscor that caused some stovepipes and feed issues, but always seemed to go bang still.

It's shooting well enough that I think I'm going to put some mid range ammo through it soon and see if I can tighten things up even a little more. Most of what I've put through it is high velocity stuff, but I did put some subsonic Eley Contact through it without feed issues. No need for the HV stuff in this thing.

#13 · (Edited)
I've had my RS out just two times. A brick of Fed RTP ran problem free. One box of Aguila HV also ran fine. I had one last box of Win Wildcat ammo that none of my other guns like (cycling and/or POI) and it was poor again with the RS. Blazer is next on my list.

Shooting SV ammo? I'm sure I will give that a try at some point but not until I have 1K rounds through it first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.