Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:07 AM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)

I only have two dogs in this fight. The Mk IV Competition and the Buck Mark Hunter. The Hunter is good out of the box, and the Competition was one of the batch recalled. The good news is that the recall resulted in a slightly better (as in lighter) trigger pull. Also, the Competition got an aftermarket VQ firing pin kit, and some blue loktite on the front pivot screw, as well the magazine "fix". After all of this, I still like them both. The Competition is ammo picky, and the Hunter isn't. The accuracy factor: They really do take turns shooting best groups with different brands of ammo (at 25 yards from a rest), and I have tested them many times. The Hunter has a better trigger, at least in my opinion. I have noticed with cleaning, the Hunter has more carbon and lead buildup than the Competition. Verified with a borescope. I really do like them both, and can't imagine selling one or the other. I would suggest having one of each, that way you can have twice as much fun at the range! ....... AH

My 14 year old G-son likes the Hunter best. Then again.... he hasn't cleaned either one .....yet.

Last edited by ammohog; 11-18-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:29 PM
staff3704
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrlarr View Post
From all that I have read over the years, it is generally conceded that Buckmark has a better trigger out of the box than does Ruger. It is also conceded that there are many more aftermarket parts for Ruger than Buckmark and that the triggers can be made comparable or better with the judicious addition of such parts. I think it is also generally conceded that the Buckmark is a bit more accurate out of the box (watch me get all sorts of arguments about that! ).
No argument from me and I have owned all of these however with that said I believe customer service is better with Ruger. And I can give examples of that. Know also that with work and/or after market parts you can get better performance out of the Ruger than the stock Buckmark (been there done that). But better performance will cost you extra time/money.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:42 PM
flphotog
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got both the Ruger MKIV and a Buckmark Medallion and much to my surprise I really prefer the Buckmark. Very surprised because I used to have a Buckmark hunter really didn't like it at all.