Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

rossi rs.22 rimfire.

23K views 43 replies 20 participants last post by  DaveInDenver 
#1 ·
i'm thinking of acquiring a rossi .22rf semi-auto as a backyard gun for the garden, etc.

what's y'alls thoughts on it so far? does it work pretty good, and what about it's accuracy. the price seems ok.

#3 ·
similar to a 702 Plinkster I believe

Neighbor picked up one. I should see it up at the range this week. Local Rural King had them for $129. I did some reading and found out these were very similar to the Mossberg 702 Plinkster with a different stock and possibly sights? Can't remember for sure but little was available on the web about real precision.

#5 ·
So far not impressed. Trigger, even after some work was like a 2 stage with the second still having some gritty creep. I did like the stock but we couldn't find any ammo in our collection that would shoot better than 1.5" at 50 yards. There are a few features worth mentioning. Last shot hold open and the ability to push the bolt handle in to hold the bolt back. When the last shot is fired, removing the mag allows the bolt to close. The follower fouls the bolt after the last shot is fired. The mag release lever has one heck of a strong spring. I'd change that. I still may buy one in hopes the barrel itself isn't the reason the precision is poor.

#8 · (Edited)
I just ordered one yesterday. Tons of stellar YouTube reviews out there, they can't be predominantly wrong. I got mine for $132.00 including $25.00 shipping. For that money one cannot expect a match-grade trigger, etc. and I don't, and am not concerned about that. What I am seeing on YouTube says the RS22 is every bit as accurate and reliable as a Ruger 10/22, and for my money it has far better stock sights on it. I am excited and can't wait to get my hands on it!

Later. Well, I got it and I LOVE it!
Please see this thread:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1150877

#9 ·
check here on RFC

Member Tom in MO has done lots of testing with the Mossberg Plinkster 702 and the Rossi RS22. Basically the same gun made by CBC in Brazil, only cosmetic differences. I have a 702, but wish I had a Rossi, like the stock design better.

Check the Plinkster 702 posts for good info on these rifles. They are excellent shooters right from the box. Probably the best "cheap" 22 out there right now.

#12 · (Edited)
Member Tom in MO has done lots of testing with the Mossberg Plinkster 702 and the Rossi RS22. Basically the same gun made by CBC in Brazil, only cosmetic differences. I have a 702, but wish I had a Rossi, like the stock design better.

Check the Plinkster 702 posts for good info on these rifles. They are excellent shooters right from the box. Probably the best "cheap" 22 out there right now.
You can knock a pound off the RS22 trigger pull by ordering the MCarbo trigger spring for the 702. Get rid of the gritty pull by polishing all the moving parts, even including the inside of the housing, and the outside of the trigger bar.

For even better accuracy, get the Rossi RB22 or Mossberg 802 Plinkster bolt-action guns. The trigger group is far easier to work on with the RB22/802 design BTW. My five groups, five shots per group average for the RB with AR Tac is 0.34" @25 yards. The RS22/702 is about 0.40", same ammo and distance.

Feed it CCI AR Tac. All three of these guns love it. CCI SV is pretty good too, as well as Fiocchi HV and Subsonic. A ten-shot group of Fiocchi HV had seven shots in 0.25" @25 yards.

#17 ·
Like it Rossi RS22

Just picked up the Rossi RS22 a week ago from my lgs for $107.05 out the door.

Cleaned the barrel sprayed the rest down with Hornady One Shot. Mounted and bore sighted a Simmons 3 X 9. Loaded it up with Thunderbolt for break in. 6 shots later at 30 yards we were on zero shooting off a make shift bench. Nickel sized groups at that range made this senior citizen happy. I like it better than my Mossberg 702 Plinkster. Both guns have been reliable so far with no problems.

The triggers while not great are acceptable and better than the trigger on my Marlin 60 SS with Laminated stock also purchased this year.

It's cheap, light weight, shoulders well, and gets an A++ for value.

#19 ·
Picked one up yesterday

With the weather starting to cooperate and a couple much needed vacation days I was finally able to get a little target time in, my first time out since last September. I stopped into my LGS yesterday and he had one of the RS22's and for the price ($139 out the door) I couldn't pass it up.

I was a little skeptical due to the price and I was unable to find a lot of online reviews. I'm glad to see the mostly positive posts on RFC on this. Hopping to get it to the range next weekend.

#22 ·
My grandfather got one of these for free at academy a while back when he bought a taurus pistol. We got it out yesterday and shot it for the first time. I cleaned it first and despite that it wouldn't extract a round every 3rd or 4th shot. I would have to take a cleaning rod and pop the spent round out. The casing had scratches around it like the chamber was too tight. I shot federal bulk cci standard and aquila super extra did it will all three brands. Anybody experienced this or got any suggestions?

#34 ·
I bought one for my girlfriend because she liked shooting the CBC 7022 that my dad gave me. I have been having problems with the extractor too. If we get a dud primer most of the time it will not extract. I am local to the new Taurus repair facility but I don't know if they will accept walk ins, so I will probably just tinker on it myself. Probably sharpen the claw and play with the spring tension.

#24 · (Edited)
I'm very happy with my 3 RS22 and 1 RB22. My average price for my 4 rifles was $110.00 (not including FFL transfer). So far, they've been exactly what I hoped for... cheap, accurate firearms. Although, I must say that I don't look forward to cleaning them (the RB22 is infinitely superior/quicker in comparison) the same way I look forward to cleaning my handguns. If I could change only one thing, it'd be that, take down and cleaning process.

My favorite set up of the bunch: RB22 (in OD color), 2-7x32 Feyachi scope mounted on Redfield 1" See Thru Scope Rings for 3/8 dovetail systems.

#25 · (Edited)
Got a black RS22 otw.

Found it for $97 at gundocks.com in KY. Bought an additional mag for $16. Shipping was $20.

Got a scope a friend gave to me waiting to go on it when I get some rings. Probably going to remove the open sights and drop the scope down as far as possible.

I've built a dueling tree and plan to compete against my son and his gf for bragging rights (she shoots pretty good!). He's got a cheap Savage and she has a cheap Marlin semi with scopes. We'll see how the Rossi does.

Looking forward to it!

EDIT: Came in -

Took it apart and lubed it, took the hood off the front sight, dropped some red paint in the sight adjustment markings and arrow in charging handle, added some weight to the fore-end and butt of the stock. Trigger didn't seem terrible.

The mag release has an annoying need to be held down completely to remove the magazine, even after the mag has been disengaged. It looks like the spotwelds on the edge of the mag at the top drag on the release unless you hold it down completely. I tried smoothing the welds but it didn't make much difference, so then I filled the divots with JB Weld and will sand it smooth when cured. We'll see if it cures the issue.

EDIT 2:

Filling the spot welds on the edge of the mag where the release rides didn't do much. The overly strong spring on the mag release seems to be pushing the magazine forward hard enough to make the raised dimple on the mag drag firmly on the groove in the stock, binding it.

Reducing the spring pressure may be one way to correct it, or opening up the groove on the stock at the bottom to make it less likely to bind after it is released may be another.

Anyone have a good/better solution?

Thanks!

#28 ·
Had a chance to get the RS out last night, and it went well - mostly.

I shot about 100 CCI SVs without a malfunction. The accuracy off-hand at 10 yards was very good. I have added some weight in the fore-end and stock, but the rifle is still pretty light.

Did have one issue. One of the mags I have (1 came in the gun, the other was purchased at the same time) will not fully seat in the rifle. It goes in about 3/4 of the way and stop. The other slides in smoothly. They look identical, and I don't know which actually came with the gun. Next time I'll mark it...

Anyone have any similar magazine issues? Not sure exactly where to look for the problem.

Thanks.

#29 ·
Reducing the spring pressure may be one way to correct it,
I tried this on a 702 and started getting misfeeds. Apparently the strong spring is needed to hold the mag in place, maybe because of the rifle's light weight.

The 702 Plinkster is the same as the RS22 except for the stock.
The RS22 also has a larger bolt handle, which IMO is good.

#32 ·
This article pertains to Aquila, in general, tested with the author's rimfire weapons.

If you notice the results of the test, it's possible to achieve some very good groupings with relatively economically priced ammunition.

I've been quite content using the ammunition (.22LR) that produced the 4 smallest groups with my Taurus TX22, Rossi RS22/RB22 and Remington 597 rimfire weapons.

... just a suggestion, try some of these too.

Attachments

#33 · (Edited)
As a follow-up to my RS22 magazine issue -

I had a chance to investigate the problem I was having with one of my factory mags where it would not fully inset and lock.

I found that the front edge of the magazine that has a curve cut to clear the bullet had a rolled edge/burr on the outside instead of a clean cut like the other.

After removing the burr the mag dropped right in and latched properly.

I also flared the mag well a bit with a Dremel to help ease mag insertion, but I still may take a look at cutting or replacing the overly powerful mag release spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.