Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:03 PM
Air-cooled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dual extractor issues

How many of you folks own a dual extractor bolt and have used it without cracking issues? I'd like to hear from folks who have either left both extractors in and those who removed the inner extractor without filling in the channel.

Last edited by Air-cooled; 11-10-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:00 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Few

I wouldn't expect many replies from people using both "extractors". Removing the inner one has been a common practice for many years.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:05 PM
Air-cooled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, but I was wanting to know how many bolts cracked when the other extractor was removed. Some folks filled in the channel with epoxy or metal, and I didn't want to consider those cases. Just wanted to know if it was safe to remove the extractor and shoot the gun without fear of the bolt cracking.

Last edited by Air-cooled; 11-04-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 10:15 PM
DRob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry

Sorry I can't help you with that. One of the first pieces of advice I got here was remove the 2nd extractor from your magnum. I didn't have 10 rds through my first one at that time. I've been here a while and have never heard of a bolt failing after the inner extractor was removed.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:35 AM
Eye Relief

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I understand what you seek, I have removed the inside extractor but did not fill in the void. No problems for 17 years and countless bricks of ammo. I need to qualify my results tho. I only shoot the 30 grain cartridges not the heavier 45 grain which should generate higher initial pressure and higher initial recoil. I shoot the lite bullets for their accuracy not because I worry about the bolt.

If I do understand what you are after you might consider rewording your question to clarify that you want to hear from all that removed extractors with no further bolt modification.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:55 PM
Ladykiller

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
The cracking was due to the inner extractor colliding with something else. You don't need to fill the void if you remove it. Ruger only created a problem by adding the inner extractor.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:29 PM
DRob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup

Put 50 rds of 33 gr VMax through one of mine today. The inner extractor was removed years ago and the groove has not been filled. The gun shoots both WMR and HMR with just a barrel change and has had many hundreds of rounds of each through it with no problems.

I think this is what you're asking about.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:23 AM
Air-cooled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, that is what I was asking! Glad to hear that simply removing the extractor is the key. I suppose if you left it in you would run the risk of bolt cracking?
Old 11-10-2019, 07:15 AM
DRob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exactly. If/when that extractor comes loose, it is captured between the bolt and the receiver. The result was often breaking the thin section of the bolt below the extractor groove.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:09 PM
Texas-Gun-Man
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the duel extractor model one of the 1st things I did before firing was remove the inside extractor. I replaced the outside with a Volquartsen knife edge extractor. I also changed the stock metal buffer pin with a polymer piece to cut down on wear and tear on the receiver. I've probably shot around 250-300 rds with no problems. TGM