Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

TX22 sights worthless

49K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  dblshock 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Recently acquired a TX22 and quite happy about almost everything. Able to function with any ammo I've tried so far. Ergonomics have great feel and comfort even for girlfriend with small hands. 16 Rds a plus.

After all the good things Taurus built into this gun.

In my opinion, the sights leave something to be desired.

Don't understand after building a completely new pistol why the sights are an afterthought. Need jewelers screwdriver to adjust. So much pretravel and backlash is movement. Elevation is a total joke, would not hold elevation after adjustment and firing one round. I have a 50 year old Daisy air pistol with better sights. Taurus really missed the target with this (pun intended).

Seems to be a great gun but having to spend another $80 or so for decent sights makes it not such a bargain.

#3 ·
My original rear sight had no "clicks" and would not hold an elevation setting... when firing the gun the sight would drop to its lowest setting. Taurus sent me a replacement...it too would not hold elevation adjustment.

I recently sent my TX back to Taurus for a second time with barrel issues and I also requested another sight....we'll see if they come through on both problems :confused:

#4 ·
Hmmm... Mine seems to work just fine. I had seen some reviews of not enough elevation adjustment, along with some aftermarket options for new front sights to address this. So, I was prepared to do the swap if needed. But, mine came out of the box pretty much spot on for the range that I tend to use the gun for. The smallest bit in my Weaver screwdriver set fits the adjustment screws perfectly although I didn't have to use it. Just checked for fit...

And I have seen some complaints about the rear sight mounting screw coming loose, so I loctited it straight away to prevent an issue.

While perhaps not the "best" sights available, for this guns purpose, I actually like the sights quite a bit. With that said, I only have a bit over 400 rounds through the gun so far. If I start having issues holding zero I'll come back and update my opinion. But so far... no complaints with anything on this gun at all. :bthumb:

#9 ·
:yeahthat:

I agree that the sights could be better, but for a pistol that you can buy for $250 to $300, I think the sights are workable. I've had no issue with mine holding zero, and I've fired at least 1000 rounds through mine since March.

#5 ·
I agree the sights could be better, and just ordered a fiber optic front sight to replace the stock dot. I saw it in a YouTube review, and it’s from Lakeline LLC, $19.99, plus they have a Magazine Speed loader for $9.95 which they claim is better and faster than the stock one. We shall see, both just ordered.
Any suggestions on where to get extra 16 round mags. Only place I found in stock is direct from Taurus full pop on price & shipping.

#7 ·
I agree the sights could be better, and just ordered a fiber optic front sight to replace the stock dot. I saw it in a YouTube review, and it's from Lakeline LLC, $19.99, plus they have a Magazine Speed loader for $9.95 which they claim is better and faster than the stock one. We shall see, both just ordered.
Any suggestions on where to get extra 16 round mags. Only place I found in stock is direct from Taurus full pop on price & shipping.
I'm sure hoping for after market metal mags, Tandemcross is also going to have a loading tool with lanyard..

#8 ·
Sight upgrade & mag loading tool Lakeline LLC

Okay, so I got the front optic sight upgrade from Lakeline LLC and installed it with the orange rod (comes with 3 rods to choose from: red, orange and green). Here's some photos of the orange one and it installed. I like it! I noticed the "dot" on the new sight is slightly lower than the dot on the original white dot, but shooting it seems to hit right on at about 15-20 yards, so good to go.

And their magazine tool is quite handy too. It uses two posts extending inside to press down on the tabs of the follower, and it does a good job. has a hole you cold install a lanyard if you so desired. I actually don't mind the polymer mags now, they work fine. You just have to remember to load the rounds with the bullets facing up in front, or it jams the bullet into the front of the magazine interior, not easy to fix, but with a little practice loading I'm getting quicker.

I just ordered two more mags direct from Taurus, nobody else seems to have them in stock :mad:

#10 · (Edited)
I bought a TX-22 a little over a month ago, the kids took it and shot the hell outta it.
They said it shot real fast and didnt jam.
I asked how accurate it was and they kinda hem and hawed about the accuracy.
So I finally got to spend some time firing it.
Its poa and the poi didnt come close.
I adjusted it using the leather awl on my pocket knife (it fit)
Initally it did shoot right on after adjusting.
But then problems with keeping the sights zeroed surfaced.

I can see how Taurus may have kept the price down to a really attractive amount buy going with plastic sights.
So far the cheapness seems to be just the plastic sights.

Other cheap mfg measures might crop up but so far the handgun itself just above the 400 round mark has yet to exhibit any mechanical operating problems other than the wandering plastic sight.

Once back home I had to see what was up with the sight.
The TX-22 sight is all plastic and has very crude shallow detents, prone to movement on recoil.
It might be a great sight on a Air Gun.
The elevation adjustment detent clicks nice and clean but in reality the plastic roller cam is either Full up or Full down.
The detent clicks twice before any elevator Up movement, then takes up slack at third click and rises, it mushes out on the 4th click, as it hits the apex of the cam travel drops down on the other side to the detent, so it wont solidly click at the top most of movement and lock in the detent.
The same with the windage detents, the detents click nice and clean and move the windage nicely.
However after a mag full
The detents release on recoil and the rear adjustable sight wanders around like a grazing cow..

I call the OEM Taurus plastic rear sight the Waltzing Matilda.

The jumping detents allow the sights adjustments to walk-about as each round recoils the sight, so its an adjustable sight in name only.

Your best bet is set the sight to hit as close to POA/POI as possible then remove the sight and crazy glue the internals so it will never wander again.
Or spend $30 to have a Lakeline fiberoptic sight mailed to you.
The Lakeline is a set screw windage adjustable fixed sight you need a tiny trox bit to set the screw.
It has no elevation adjustment.
The OEM Taurus front sight is plastic and should work ok if not abused.
It has one those wierd security torx head screws if you go to replace it.
The Lakeline front sight comes with a phillips head crew to secure the front sight.
You may have to remove a bit off the end of the Lakeline supplied screw as it protrudes up and interferes with inserting the fiberoptic rod.
(Remember to blue locktite the screw threads)

https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/wierd-observations-of-22-rimfire-handguns.200460/

#12 · (Edited)
Is there any type of rail, or D&T holes for one? I was just over on the squirrel hunters thread posting about a Simmons 2x20 pistol scope I have, but not a dedicated .22 for it.

That TX might be a prospect if there is a rail available for mounting a scope.

VH :eek:man:

I just went back and looked at the pics at the beginning of the post. It doesn't appear to have a rail or provision for mounting one. :) (

#13 ·
The thing is your mounting the scope to the slide and the extra weight along for the ride might slow down when the round count is high, being dirty with extra drag you could encounter feed issues?

Im not aware of a frame mounted scope mout as of yet.
Its possible one soon comes out that uses the light mount on bottom the frame infront the trigger guard.

#16 ·
Saturday I bought a Taurus TX22 and took it out to the range that afternoon. I just ran a bore snake through it a couple of times. No other cleaning or lubing. It ran great but both my wife and I had trouble with the accuracy. Seems to put a couple of shots on top of each other and then it shoots off somewhere else. Tried it again Sunday with a pard I do cowboy action shooting with and we had the same results. I ordered the fiber optic front and rear sights from Lakeline and they should be in Saturday. I will see how they work out.

Pck

#19 ·
I put the LLC plate on my TX22 and installed a Vortex red dot and the pistol is awesome with this combo. Extremely accurate and good practice for my Canik competition pistol. I'm shooting the CCI AR 22 ammo as it takes alittle more oomph to cycle but it again is good for practice as it's got alittle more recoil.

#21 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, greetings from Brazil.

I just got mine on Friday 07/23/2021, great weapon, but I had the same problem, the elevation adjustment was not maintained at all, back form the range, I was tinkering with the gun thinking about how I could solve the problem without locking the rear sight permanently when the solution came from its own design, the hole that gives access to the screw that fixes it to the slide, goes through the movable part of the sight, so I found a fine-threaded screw of a diameter enough for it to screw into the hole and voilà, when you tighten/release the screw raises/lowers the rear sight, in the end it was a matter of cutting the screw to be flush with the surface and make a slit to adjust with a screwdriver, now in addition to keeping the elevation adjustment can still adjust the azimuth.

I know it's third world workaround, but it could be an option.

All the best to you all

#25 · (Edited)
Thank you for a clear and clever solution. I picked up a 5mm set screw and did the same as you describe. I got the shortest screw the hardware store had, and had to shorten it up with the grinder so it wasn't visible while sighting the gun. A quick spritz of black BBQ paint on the ends where I ground on the screw and it looks like a factory installed part.

#31 ·
Yep, I installed one a few months ago. It was a TIGHT fit in the rear sight cutout, but once in it's not budging.

I mounted a 3MOA Cyelee Shake Awake sight, and have it zeroed at 25 yd. Off a bench I can get 3" groups with Aguila ammo. I do miss the open sights a bit, but the accuracy improvement from the red dot are worth it IMO. At first I was having a lot of cycling issues, but realized the provided optic screws were too long, binding the slide. A slightly shorter set of screws solved the problem.

#28 ·
I had a 2018 era TX22 rear sight would walk out of its adjustment detents on recoil.
Id zero the sights and run a mag full only to have them wander off like a grazing cow.
I could only get Lakeline fixed sights and tried them.
POI were no where close to POA.
At 15 yds they were way out in Left field.
I received a replacement taurus sight and had no problems so far.
If these start wNdering my fix will be to zero them then superglue the into a fixed sights.

#29 ·
Sights from aliexpress

I went cheap, I ordered a set of sights from aliexpress . I will post a couple of pictures in a bit. They were 30 bucks, and the fit is perfect. Fiber optic front and rear. I got red for the front, snd green for the rear. The brand is FTODSP.

#34 ·
Recently acquired a TX22 and quite happy about almost everything. Able to function with any ammo I've tried so far. Ergonomics have great feel and comfort even for girlfriend with small hands. 16 Rds a plus.

After all the good things Taurus built into this gun.

In my opinion, the sights leave something to be desired.

Don't understand after building a completely new pistol why the sights are an afterthought. Need jewelers screwdriver to adjust. So much pretravel and backlash is movement. Elevation is a total joke, would not hold elevation after adjustment and firing one round. I have a 50 year old Daisy air pistol with better sights. Taurus really missed the target with this (pun intended).

Seems to be a great gun but having to spend another $80 or so for decent sights makes it not such a bargacheesy plastic sights, all copying I guess.in.
It is a Taurus, after all. S&W Compact 22 M&P has cheesey plastic sights. Gotta copy some things from Glock I guess.