Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Rossi 62 jamming

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  SOUTHERN S/PAW 
#1 ·
Just obtained a used Rossi 62 carbine for my son to match the one I have. It's in great shape but is jamming. It feeds the cartridge too high to feed smoothly into the chamber. The bullet gets cut and jammed, then you have to pop the carrier down with your thumb to free it.
Can anyone help me to solve this issue?

Thanks!

#2 ·
WWeldman,

As silly as this sounds, I'll ask anyway: Are you using the correct ammunition? SOME of those Model 62 rifles are labeled for ".22LR" only. That specific variation has no cartridge cutoff, and it can cause all sorts of feeding & jamming problems, if you do not exclusively use the Long Rifle rounds.

BigLoop22

#4 ·
Yeah this one is labeled s.l, and lr and I have tried 3 different kinds of lr but they'll all jam. You can see the carrier positioning the round a hair too high. The bullet jams when trying to feed into the chamber. You can "click" the carrier down a hair with your thumb and it will line up properly. Just had it apart again and can't figure out where the problem is. I've had a few of these 62's and this is the first one I've had difficulty with.

#6 · (Edited)
Pristine. First thing I did was scour and lube everything.

My son and I hit a slight burr on the back of the carrier with some emery cloth and it seems to move more freely when reassembled now. Won't know if that cured it until we send some live rounds through it again. Got my fingers crossed though.

#8 ·
Though this is a fairly old topic, I thought I would share part of the fix for this.

If your Rossi is impacting the bullet on the high left of the chamber instead of feeding it straight in; the issue is that the carrier (when in the feed position) is riding too high.

This can be confirmed by "shimming" the rear left portion of the back of the carrier where it rests against the frame. Note that the right side of the carrier makes little to no frame contact so is inconsequential.

Here is the incorrect feed position:

Wood Bumper Gas Auto part Automotive exterior

The back portion (though the left side) of the carrier is what we will focus on. The left side of the rear portion of the carrier is what controls the feed position:

Revolver Hand tool Tool Finger Cosmetics

Using super glue and a bit of card stock ( a credit card is actually too thick, the amount of adjustment is actually VERY little ) glued to the back of the carrier (just the left side, though) will project plenty of angular movement at the front of the carrier:

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motorcycle Automotive tire

In the photo I have the carrier tied down so I can position the card stock. This was where I actually really noticed that the right side contact is not worth worrying about.

See how much less than a millimeter thickness of card stock corrected the carrier position:

Automotive tire Bumper Yellow Motor vehicle Wood

Now that I know this can correct the carrier position, I will have someone TIG weld a small bead to the upper left corner of the back of the carrier and then will file it in situ until I have perfect carrier alignment.

In the meantime I have another carrier in the gun that works sufficiently well enough that I could address the poorly fitted extractor. It was just tossed into the gun and wasn't fitting at all. This caused extremely hard bolt closure. Careful sanding (in the proper direction) of the exterior of the extractor (because it was bearing on the receiver causing lack of freedom of movement and over tension) and fitting of the claw and beak substantially improved bolt closure.

I am going to have someone TIG the OEM carrier (which is much nicer than the replacement) and then fit it again for final and proper feeding.

Hope this helps anyone with this issue.

#9 ·
Just obtained a used Rossi 62 carbine for my son to match the one I have. It's in great shape but is jamming. It feeds the cartridge too high to feed smoothly into the chamber. The bullet gets cut and jammed, then you have to pop the carrier down with your thumb to free it.
Can anyone help me to solve this issue?

Thanks!
One thing to try take the rifle apart and add a small shim to the back of the carrier just cut the shim to size and glue it on let it dry and reassemble the carrier in the rifle, you might have to increase the thickness of the shim but normally this fix will lower the carrier and put it in line with the chamber. if it works then have someone silver solder the shim to the back of the carrier for a permanent fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.