Seen for Sale. High Standard Model S-101 Super Matic, 22LR.. - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:15 PM
jeepwm69
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
It does appear this pistol has been shot quite a bit. My NEIGHBOR started collecting HS in the 70's. The first thing he inspects is the 45* edge on the slide that contacts the slide stop. If this edge is peened over or malformed then the pistol has been shot a lot or shot with HV ammo. The edge on this pistol does look slightly peened but I have seen much worse.
Not sure if I understand what you're looking at. Can you dumb it down a bit?
Old 04-08-2021, 01:09 PM
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Look at the right side of the slide. On the end that contacts the barrel there is a small 45* slant on the bottom corner just below the extractor. When you retract the slide fully with a magazine in place this forces the slide stop up to contact that 45* corner on the slide to hold the slide back. When the edge of this small corner is peened over or malformed that is a good indication that pistol has been shot a lot or with HV ammo.

Last edited by OldDave; 04-08-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:00 PM
matchgrade

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Look at the rear edge of the barrel too, the first posted pic. The sides should be flat not flared out / peened from from slide impact.
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM
jeepwm69

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
Look at the right side of the slide. On the end that contacts the barrel there is a small 45* slant on the bottom corner just below the extractor. When you retract the slide fully with a magazine in place this forces the slide stop up to contact that 45* corner on the slide to hold the slide back. When the edge of this small corner is peened over or malformed that is a good indication that pistol has been shot a lot or with HV ammo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchgrade View Post
Look at the rear edge of the barrel too, the first posted pic. The sides should be flat not flared out / peened from from slide impact.
Ok, that's what I couldn't figure out. I was thinking the slide stop was on the right side, which can't be seen in the attached picture. Then I realized there was a link with more pics.

Yep, I'm a moron.
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM
dlay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 101 that my dad bought me new, box and all, weights, 6.75 barrel, have shot a truck load of hv ammo thru it. We never thought about sv ammo then, manual says hv ammo. No cracked frame yet..
Old Today, 08:07 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I always mention the possibility of frame cracks to new owners so that they will not treat their new-to-them Hi Std to a diet of very common High or Hyper Vel ammo and/or fail to keep a good unworn recoil spring in their gun. Would it not be a shame if a new owner ruins a perfectly good Hi Std gun simply because no one told him to change out the recoil spring and to not use anything but Standard Velocity ammo? In the time of my first Hi Std before the Internet, I used several boxes of High Velocity ammo in my Supermatic Field King due to the lack of knowledge about the frame crack. This webpage set me right! Why would any new owner suspect that any 22 pistol should not be using the most common of all 22LR ammo?

CCI SV had been the least expensive accurate, regularly readily available SV ammo on the market place before the pandemic and the wild gun and ammo sales with the astronomically high pricing on those items. Of course, you can use other SV ammo! Just verify that it is at about 1080FPS. Hi Vel ammo is generally at several hundred FPS higher and should not be used. And yes, it is energy not velocity that is the problem. But ammo normally does not list that measurement on the box. Velocity will have to do.

While regular attenders to this forum yawn with boredom every time I do this informing of new owners, I will continue my efforts to save as many Hi Std pistols as I can with this cautionary message. If you don't want to hear this then don't read my posts. My goal is to inform the un-informed!

And yes, I understand that there is only a small chance that abusing these guns will crack the frame. But what if it is your gun that cracks because you abused it? Better to operate safely than suffer the loss of a valuable gun. Remember that the crack is invisible, but microscopically there, only to be revealed too late.

LDBennett
Old Today, 08:58 AM
Edcnh

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
+1 for the information in LDBennett’s post.
Old Today, 09:53 AM
coltlog

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post

While regular attenders to this forum yawn with boredom every time I do this informing of new owners, I will continue my efforts to save as many Hi Std pistols as I can with this cautionary message. If you don't want to hear this then don't read my posts. My goal is to inform the un-informed!
LDBennett
As long as new HS owners continue to find their way to this forum, there will be a need to revisit info on driving spring replacement and frame cracks. I'm reminded of the saying "repetition does not necessarily spoil the prayer."

Nonetheless, maybe it's time to open a new 'Sticky' for each topic with supporting photos.
Old Today, 01:10 PM
travelingman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why doesn't anybody ever address the hammer spring when discussing frame cracks. I admit I am new to this game but I know the hammer spring does a lot to slow slide velocity. Not trying to be a wise guy but has this ever been discussed? Operate your pistol (by hand) without the hammer spring and you will feel that the driving spring does little to slow the slide.
Old Today, 01:42 PM
coltlog

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
Why doesn't anybody ever address the hammer spring when discussing frame cracks. I admit I am new to this game but I know the hammer spring does a lot to slow slide velocity. Not trying to be a wise guy but has this ever been discussed? Operate your pistol (by hand) without the hammer spring and you will feel that the driving spring does little to slow the slide.
The mainspring's roll in slowing the slide is undeniable, but I can't recall it ever being discussed in this forum in the context of frame cracks.

Moving to a stronger mainspring—while it would certainly dampen the speed of the slide—would also make it even more difficult to rack manually; and many shooters find it nearly impossible to rack now when the hammer is dropped.

Something about robbing Peter to pay Paul........
Old Today, 03:56 PM
SGVictor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
I have discussed the engineering aspects of the frame crack phenomenon from both a frame geometry and the mechanics of the slides motions on more than one occasion. I have specified that some design series show little tendency to develop frame cracks. Those comments have been generally ignored and are now gone.

Also ignored has been my comments of specifying velocity as the only criteria for the ammunition. That simply is not true.

I have no calling to tell the new people abut the fact that relatively few pistol frames have cracked or will likely crack in the future. My calling is research of High Standard, the company and its products.

All series that have tendencies to crack do not crack in the same location even though most do. Some series have shown very little tendency develop a frame crack The type II takedown pistols have a different weak link but it is seldom a problem.

High Standard did in fact play around with the mainspring and driving springs for some .22 short models but in the end went back to where they started.

The change from the 102 to the 103 series was done to try to alleviate the frame frame cracking issues of the 102 series. The change was an improvement but not the whole solution. The 102 series had several problems as a completely new design and some were changed during the 102 series production run and one was changed by ending that production run.