Squirrel Hunters! The Tree Kind! - Page 3540 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:29 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE View Post
Al, were those squirrels female??
If you meant the mangy ones they're not dead, yet.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:50 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Al, I feed a few squirrels here at the house and as they like to grab a nut and hop up on a limb to eat. I make artificial limbs low on the trunks to where if they jump up on them, they will be facing my gunroom window. They will naturally put their backs to the trunks. It is easy to tell males from the females with a high mag scope. I only have two den trees and both are always occupied by female squirrels . Both females are currently nursing young and this pretty much is the case year after year. Males are coming over from the neighbors property and leaving the same way. In about another month I will see young squirrels climbing about on the two den trees. The females will only come once a day right now and that will be very early in the morning they will sit on their den trees about every sunny day but will not venture down with the exception of that one trip to the feeders. The males chase each other around and off. Nothing chases the bred or nursing females or tries to get on their boards . They are interesting to watch and the young ones are always fun to watch as they first decide to go to the ground. They will venture out a few yards and then run back to the tree , time after time, gradually increasing their distance. The bred females are extremely wary and if they see me through the window they will hit the den trees. I can raise the windows and shoot the rimfires and most males won't move except to get another nut. Later on when the young leave the nest the females will calm right back down.

Last edited by Lerrab; 04-01-2021 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:55 AM
lovesmausers
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here's one from early in the 20-21 season. They were in the process of building a nest in a tulip tree before I brought it to a screeching halt.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:27 PM
bowdog
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here we are as well as diabetic people can be. It’s been a rough couple of years. Lis almost died. And I drink too much alcohol. We are working on healing each other.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:05 PM
Hanshi
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can't recall if I ever posted previously so I'll post something. No photos of the squirrels but can post the most prolific .22LRs.

Remington 514 single shot.

Marlin 39A.

Kimber of Oregon.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:33 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdog View Post
Here we are as well as diabetic people can be. Itís been a rough couple of years. Lis almost died. And I drink too much alcohol. We are working on healing each other.
Best wishes for you both Bowdog.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:29 AM
Taff

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Here we are as well as diabetic people can be. Itís been a rough couple of years. Lis almost died. And I drink too much alcohol. We are working on healing each other.
My thoughts are with you both, look after each other.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:59 PM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
Bowdog,
Y'all hang in there. We send our prayers. Hope to see both of you back at Shawnee.