Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2021, 01:01 PM
Av1at0r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
M4-22 Charging Handle Problem

Over the past three or four months, I've been searching for an AR-style .22LR firearm that is reliable and relatively malfunction free. A few weeks ago, I thought I had accomplished that goal with the M4. But last weekend, imagine my surprise when both the pistol and rifle proved my assessment to be false.

During my first match with the weapons, all five stages ended with a live round in the chamber. In each case, I safed the weapon, released the magazine, and attempted to extract and eject the live round with the charging handle. The first time it happened, I cycled the handle multiple times to no effect. Unable to leave the last position in the stage with a live round in the chamber, and with RSO concurrence, I fired the round into the berm.

I originally started this thread in another forum on this site and received three troubleshooting suggestions. Prior to shooting this morning, with the bolt removed and a fired case, I tested to see if a live round could be inserted under the extractor with minimal effort; that with a round in the chamber that the rim extends over the extractor cut, and that the extractor cut is clean and free of debris. I also loaded five snap caps into a magazine, closed the bolt to chamber the first one, and extracted all five with the charging handle.

Troubleshooting continues, and I welcome any suggestions.

W.H. Mcintosh
LtCol USAF (Ret)