Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

I have the Ruger Mark 4 22/45 Lite Factory recommended barrel nut torque spec

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TMW99577 
#1 ·
ok so the background...

Acquired the pistol via gbroker (was a great deal) back in Oct. 2018 but haven't shot it much, maybe a total of 120 rounds. Been shooting my other guns till now.
Pistol is bronze in color ....its got William Firesights front and rear, Volquartsen accurizing kit and custom grips.

I took it out and shot about 100 rounds through it, on the barrel nut I had a hand tightened compensator on it. The pistol shot great had a nice outing with it.

I arrive home and proceed to clean the pistol, to my dismay when I tried to loosen my compensator the barrel nut also came with it! The barrel without the barrel nut securing it on the end basically can rattle around the upper.

I google this and apparently I'm not the first. I am unwilling to reverse the mods I've done just to have Ruger add epoxy to the barrel nut and torque to spec.

Disclaimer: I'm communicating this info out but your on your own if you break your pistol!

I called Ruger and the barrel nut torque spec is 18 ft lbs...yes, eighteen foot pounds, NOT 18 inch pounds. I had the Ruger rep triple check this.

Luckily I have a barrel clamp with a leather strap from a earlier project and that will prevent from marring the Ruger Mark 4 top while I re-install the barrel nut myself at home. I plan to use Rocksett on the threads - the only thing stopping me is finding a spanner tool for the 1/2" (measured across - center hole to center hole) barrel nut that will allow me to use a torque wrench and measure that torque. Any ideas or suggestions folks?

See less See more
#3 ·
I used a barrel clamp and secured the upper of the Mark 4 22/45 lite in it, cleaned the barrel end and the barrel nut threads, used Rocksett adhesive and used two 2mm spring pliers and torqued it has hard as I can. Having the barrel clamp allowed me to really apply some force down.

Went and shot 260 rounds through it with no loosening. Grouped great and I see it not moving at all. :bthumb:

Your mileage may very and do this at your own risk. :bthumb:

#4 ·
This is why I keep my Gamechanger PRO on the pistol and do not remove it for cleaning. I just spray it with some Gun Scrubber and use a cotton swab to remove the residue. I greased the threads well when I installed it so I am not worried about it seizing in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.