Where do I start? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:57 PM
steel1212

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Where do I start?

Ok I've looked around a bit and I've gotten the bug. I like to build things, ARs, 1911s, Classic cars and now I've got the 10/22 bug, but where do I start? I have no desire for a stock 10/22 so do I just buy a aftermarket recieaver and start there or find a used stocker and just strip it?

What is THE place for parts? I know in the USPSA/IPSC/IDPA board I can get all my parts from Shooters connection is there a place like that for 10/22s as well?
Old 12-17-2007, 06:13 PM
YOTE3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The best bang for the buck on a receiver is at shooters discount one of our supporters. If you buy the walmart special it's $180 bucks, and by the time you have finished with all the upgrades you will have spent way more than you needed to. If you can find a pawn shop that has one for cheap than building from the bottom up is way more fun, however I find it hard to locate a 10/22 for under $100 but good luck and have fun.

http://shootersdiscount.com/cart/ind...&productId=705

As far has the BBl and Stock first you need to see what you like and then we can help but be careful once you start you just cant stop I'm on my third build now and have plans for number 4
Old 12-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Hi steel man...and WELCOME...
I have done it both ways many, many times...and to be perfectly honest you are money ahead to find a beater or a good used one to build off of. By the time you buy a Rec. and pay your FFL guy to receive it you will be into it for about what you can buy a used gun. But, usually need to totally repaint or refinish a used one...so if time is money then buy new parts. Read up, and look around...it will all come together for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2007, 11:24 PM
woogie_man
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via MSN to woogie_man Send a message via Yahoo to woogie_man
go to your local store and buy a carbie... that way while you are waiting on parts or what not you can still go out and shoot instead of just sitting at your work bench and looking at the parts... don't know about you but i like to shoot my rifle and not just look at it ....... but i do take her out every now and then just to look at here :P
Old 12-17-2007, 11:47 PM
steel1212

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got pleanty of things to shoot and the building is the fun part. Around here 10/22s are going for 200+ at gun stores but I haven't looked at wally world yet.

That recieaver from shooters discount look real nice though but I don't know much in the realm of 10/22s. The goal would be to join the 1/4" club and look the part.

Build a Limited USPSA rig, no problem, Build a steel challenge rig both centerfire with my STI framed 9mm and Marvel top end for rim fire...no problem...build a 10/22 with the world for options...ummm HELP
Old 12-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Dr. Mongoose

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to the asylum!!! Medication is on alternating odd Thursdays.
The guys at Brownells say there are 10 thousand parts for the 10/22!!! I'd start out with a complete rifle and switch out parts as desired. Start with the trigger! Ruger factory triggers leave a lot to be desired. Shooters Discount is great to deal with as is Hornet Products.
If you need help spending for parts, just let us know and someonr will be happy to assist you!
(If you can properly clean a AR-15 you can build a 10/22 with your eyes closed! Its that easy.)
Old 12-18-2007, 04:42 PM
steel1212

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess learning to build would be best with a complete rifle huh? I would see where the parts go before I remove them
Old 12-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Sprags

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been pretty much thinking along the same lines as STEEL1212 (the guy that started this thread) and I was just about ready to pick up the basic carbine at Dick's for $190.

I kinda figured that if I started with the basic Ruger 10/22 I could add a Revival stock, a Green Mountain Barrel and a Mueller APV scope and have myself a pretty nice rifle to plink with. And then along the way add the other goodies after that.

Can someone tell me how much more accurate and how much better performance of a rifle I would get if I start with receiver/trigger assembly that was suggested at the start of this thread?

Sorry if this is considered hijacking ...if it is I'll try not to do it again.

Sprags

Last edited by Sprags; 12-18-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:40 PM
steel1212

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just realized something as well. The receiver at the shooters discount is a hopped up Stocker right? I was thinking along the lines of a complete aftermarket receiver like from Tac Sol or ?
Old 12-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Sprags...
Good ol' Ruger Rec./TG is what most shoot and shoot real well after mods...It all revolves around your shooting ability and then it starts with many, many variables. Better trigger pull is a must for accuracy, better barrel is a must, good optics is a must. I could go on but it's all in this big ol' RFC book...read up...do some searches and take in all the good info from the good ol' boys that been there and done that.
I can tell you from personal experience and over a dozen builds that there is NO perfect for everyone..it's all personal pref...but you will get much better groups at 50 yds with a minimal amount of mods and aftermarket parts...HaHa..I said minimal...around $300.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:25 PM
SwampF0X

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Welcome to RFC. There is LOT's of info here. There are LOTs of aftermarket parts around here to.

What will you be using this rifle for?
a. hunter/plinker
b. pretend tacktical
c. serious bench rest
d. amater/playfull bench rest

How much money are you willing to spend for the completed rifle?

Do you want to spend a little here and a little there? (You can nickle and dime your way into thousands of dollars, if you're not carefull)

No matter what your intended use for this rifle is, I suggest starting with the trigger. You can't shoot a 5# rifle with a 7# trigger and expect 1/4" groups.
Quality optics and mounts are very important also.
Good ammo is also a must. It's best to try several different brands and types of ammo in your rifle and let the rifle tell you what it likes best. BUT, if you're gonna get a bull barrel anyways.......skip this step on the factory barrel and use it on the bull barrel.
Next is bedding. If the receiver is wobbleing............you can't shoot accurately. I like Rimfire techs adjustable bedding kit myself. ROCK SOLID.
(So pick your new stock out.......No sence doing this twice.)
Next is bolt work. This gets rid of most of that last little bit of inconsistancy.

After all the above mods have been tested, using a quality scope and multible types of ammo.........IF you are still unhappy with your barrel, try freefloating it and/or using pressure pads in different locations.............STILL unhappy? Have it reworked or buy a new one.

Some people wouldn't follow that guide to a T, But IMHO, you cannot tell how accurate your barrel is until everything else has been taken care of first. This gives the barrel perfect harmony, NOW either it will shoot good or not, nothing left to blame except the barrel. That's why I save it for last.

good luck,
swampf0x
Old 12-18-2007, 08:40 PM
steel1212

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My goal is 1/4" at 25 yards and to look amazing. Basically a bench rest shooter.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:02 PM
mfrits

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Steel - Three places to shop for parts. Volquartsen, Power Custom, & Kidd Innovative Designs. I am not convinced that the aftermarket recievers or bolts do much but you cannot go wrong with a Volquartsen or Kid barrel. I have both and they seem to perform equally well. Power Custom makes good bolt and trigger components at pretty reasonable prices, it you want to do your own trigger work. The Volquartsen T2000 is a great trigger group and is more than most people could ever want. By far the gold standard of triggers though is the Kidd. It is not inexpensive but I can honestly say that my finger has never touched a better trigger. It is a two stage match trigger that is completely adjustable. Mine is currently set for 10 ounces and it is unbelievable. Once you have the rifle built be sure to spend good money on your ammo. There is a wide variety of ammo out there and you get what you pay for. I have had great luck with Eley, Lapua, and most recently Wolf Match Target (made by Lapua). Have fun building out your new toy!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:41 PM
steel1212

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What is the major differance between the Volquartsen T2000 and kidd other than 100$? I would say the trigger and barrel would be where your going to get your best accuracy out of these so I won't skimp here but I'm just curious.

Guys my main goal is to do it piece by piece, maybe the more expensive stuff once a month, then get the smaller stuff all together.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Whats the diff? Everything...buy a Kid and don't look back. While at it..look at his barrels...fantastic!!!!