Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:09 PM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
German Shorthaired Pointer

Contemplating getting a dog that can do it all. It's got to be good w/the family and I'd like it to hunt squirrel, rabbit, and birds. The german shorthaired pointer looks like they've been bred to fit the bill.

Anyone have experience with GSPs?

Last edited by Bradical; 09-13-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:07 PM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
I had one and it was the best dog I ever had. Just remember, you have to spend a lot of time with them just like any other dog.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:21 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE View Post
I had one and it was the best dog I ever had. Just remember, you have to spend a lot of time with them just like any other dog.
Good to know. I grew up w/Goldens. Great dogs. The main reason I have not had a dog in 30 years is that I know how much work and attention they require.

Now my business is getting to the point where I'm beginning to think I could give a dog the attention they deserve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2016, 09:24 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I had a couple of German Shorthaired Pointers about 30 years ago. They are wonderful dogs, not only for hunting, but for family pets.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:30 PM
exdetsgt
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had one some 30 years ago. It seemed dumb. But I had a full-time job and no time to train it.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:14 PM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Make sure you're getting one from hunting stock and not show stock.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:50 AM
natebelle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had 2 German Shorthairs in the past . Both came from proven field stock . Both were great bird dogs with superb noses . They are high energy dogs and can be a little stubborn but are very good pets . My kids were young at the time and they were good with all kids that came around . The last one we had was 13 yrs old when we lost him in 2005 . My brother has a 3 yr old female that is a very good hunter that I hunted behind this past fall . She was pointing birds that his friends 2 Brittany Spaniels missed .
Old 12-19-2016, 08:03 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natebelle View Post
I have had 2 German Shorthairs in the past . Both came from proven field stock . Both were great bird dogs with superb noses . They are high energy dogs and can be a little stubborn but are very good pets . My kids were young at the time and they were good with all kids that came around . The last one we had was 13 yrs old when we lost him in 2005 . My brother has a 3 yr old female that is a very good hunter that I hunted behind this past fall . She was pointing birds that his friends 2 Brittany Spaniels missed .
Neat. I grew up with female goldens. All 4 were great family dogs, but the last was an alpha female. Tough, hearty, wouldn't back down from anything, and she'd swim all day if you'd let her. Sadly, we lost her to cancer at 8 years. Our first, lived to an unbelievable 15 years.

Are there any common traits, better or worse, one may prefer of the male and female GSPs?

Last edited by Bradical; 12-19-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:17 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a beautiful liver and tick male several years ago. He had excellent bloodlines and he sure could hunt! Definitely high energy and he was a little stubborn (as mentioned) but the kids loved him and he was great with the kids too. Also a great protector of the family. We lived out in the country and when a stranger would knock on the door it sounded like there was German Shepherd on the other side.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:58 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
Neat. I grew up with female goldens. All 4 were great family dogs, but the last was an alpha female. Tough, hearty, wouldn't back down from anything, and she'd swim all day if you'd let her. Sadly, we lost her to cancer at 8 years. Our first, lived to an unbelievable 15 years.

Are there any common traits, better or worse, one may prefer of the male and female GSPs?
I had a female and a male.

The female was the best overall dog. The male was a wonderful dog, but he ****ed on everything including the outside of the house. I never could break him of that. If he didn't have that problem, he would have been a better dog.

Since having GSPs over 30 years ago, I've had Dobermans. They are actually part GSP and you can see the similarities. A Doberman without the cropped ears and docked tail, doesn't look like a Doberman, but a GSP with different colors.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:32 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I have a German Short hair right now and absolutely love her. She is actually laying right beside me with her head on my leg, her normal potion. She is a great hunter and awesome family dog.

I have always had labs, I'm 53 and bought my first Labrador when I was 15. The difference between the 2 is that when hunting a Labrador will stay fairly close, easily within shooting range if trained property, a German Short Hair will circle the field more. They check for scent and in turn cover far more ground, a Labrador is a flush dog so 2 different types of hunting. I do miss my Labs and especially my last one witch was a pointing Lab. She would hunting like a flush dog then lock up on point when finding the bird. My only other problem is my current GSH in the pickup hardly sits down, constantly trying to look out every window.

I can't really say one is better than the other, they are different in small ways and it depends on how you like to hunt. You can't go wrong with a German Short Hair. She is very smart and I'm sure if we had focused on breaking her of the things we don't like it could be done. The one thing I would suggest is get her as a puppy. This is the only dog I got older, she was 8 months. She was a military families dog and he was getting deployed again, couldn't give her the time she deserved and wanted her to go to a good home. The other thing I like is a female. I have had both and the males are always peeing on everything and sniffing the rear of every other dog. Sometimes when hunting with other people all you get done is chasing them away from the females.

To summarize, the GSH is a great dog and wouldn't hesitate to get another. When my current dog Addie goes to the big hunting ground in the sky I will definitely think about a short hair again. As I am getting slower though and would love a dog that will hunt hard but stay close enough and sit beside me in my truck I will probably go back to my Labs. Mine have all lived to be 14 except one which got cancer. If you haven't looked at Labs and you have kids you may be making a mistake. You can get pointing Labs and they are awesome. If I sound like I am waffling on this it's because I am, I love both breeds.

Good luck and I'm sure after reading back through this I was of no help.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:09 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I'm crazy about ours; the best hunting dog I've ever had the pleasure of being in the field with.

I did a mini thread w/ pics here if anybody is interested:
I'm not hunting the rabbit - the dog is. :-)
Old 12-21-2016, 07:45 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thumbs up ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE View Post
I couldn't agree more. The more time spent with your dog the better. I believe if you keep em in the house (not out back in a kennel) you'll be rewarded with a dog that wants to hunt with you, not by itself.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:23 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Sitting down with the wife and youngest son for supper and asked which they liked better, Labrador's or German Shorthair Pointers and my wife brought up a point I forgot to mention before, Addie is a GSP/Lab mix. I have never had anything but registered dogs until her and I don't think she realizes she isn't royalty. She is a mix of my 2 favorite dogs and since we were flipping between a chocolate lab and GSP I guess we got the best of both worlds. She is the build and demeanor of a pointer and color of a chocolate, not sure if the pics do her justice but beautiful dog.
Here is a pic of when we first got her at 8mo. She is now 4, Nick is a little bigger as well.

Now in one of her and my favorite positions, notice what I'm reading to her.

Back to our discussion, nobody could say which breed we like best. If you treat them right, read the signs they give when your picking them and spend lots of time with them as the others have said they are all good breeds.
Let us know what you pick.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:01 PM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thought someone would have mentioned this but you never let a pointer chase squirrels or rabbits. They point instictively but will soon loose that ability if you let them chase anything. I would go with a setter or spaniel if I wanted a flush dog.