Any interest in a short range match category ? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:11 PM
pointfocus
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
I can afford to buy targets, and at under a dime a page, these may cost you less than making photocopies. And the tag board makes it a LOT easier to score the targets. Pellets at their slow speeds tend to tear paper making out where they hit difficult.

A 17
50 Foot Small Bore
11 Bullseye, 1 Sighting, 10 Record
Official NRA Target
Size: 10 1/2 X 12
Type: Tag Board
Per 250: $23.50……….9.4 cents each
Per 500: $37.50……….7.5 cents each
Per 1000: $67.00……..6.7 cents each
(Plus shipping)
Here is a downloadable link for printing your own. A A17 50 foot rifle target.

http://www.lassensharpshooters.com/PrintableTargets.htm

10 for record and two extra for sighters.

This is ONE A17 WITHOUT ADVERTISING. http://www.lassensharpshooters.com/P...re%20Rifle.pdf

I have found a way to get a fairly clean hole with a low velocity pellet. Staple or tape the target to a standard pizza box. It's thin and a little weak allowing the pellet to make a cleaner hole.

I like the target and we have a backup to make your own.

If its all right with you lets try it.

Pointfocus
P.M.O.E.

Last edited by pointfocus; 11-22-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:28 PM
artanmac
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Point focus
Thanks for finding the printable targets. I couldn't get the link to post correctly. So thank you.
I'm good with shooting the A 17 too.
Anybody have any other thoughts?
Old 11-22-2014, 09:39 PM
pointfocus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artanmac View Post
Point focus
Thanks for finding the printable targets. I couldn't get the link to post correctly. So thank you.
I'm good with shooting the A 17 too.
Anybody have any other thoughts?
I rechecked both links. I use FireFox. Their is a note at the top of the Firefox browser that says "This link may not open correctly" but it did. I right clicked on the page and their was a option to select other options to open it including "Internet Explorer". I don't use IE any more so I didn't check. That might be the problem?

I'm going to try a practice run as soon as I can figure out how to post a picture of the target.

Thank you for your interest in this endeavor.

Pointfocus
P.M.O.E.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2014, 05:47 PM
ShootsAtSky

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The second link worked well with Chrome (PC) and Firefox (Android), didn't try the first link.

I like that target, but if you're using in with a DoAll type pellet trap it has two 'gotchas' you have to watch for.

First is actually a problem with the DoAll clip on the top, it sits right between the two sighters. If you get off the sighter and hit the clip it will bend the clip and ricochet almost anywhere. (It probably only SEEMED like two minutes while a pellet bounced around in my garage and I only heard one hit behind me, but it wasn't worth repeating to check the time.) BTW, if you use a smaller clip (after bending the first one), and a pellet hits the flat clip hanger the pellet comes straight back at you. (I'm a slow learner sometimes.)

The second problem is also partly the DoAll design and partly the target. If you hang the target using the hanger and clip, the bottom row of bulls can give you ricochets if you hit a little low. The picture below shows the top of the blue tape at the high point of the trap curve, it's just at the edge of the five ring. But, that's as far up as I could get it using the clip as shown in the DoAll instructions, if you aren't paying attention, you can have it mounted as low as the outside of the seven ring.

Pellets right at the top of the tape MIGHT go into the trap, or they might go straight up. Any pellets lower down on the tape are either coming back at you, or down into the bench and then somewhere else.

I was able to get about another half inch by either popping up the clip hanger or by bending the top of the target and clipping it to the top of the trap (no hanger). You could also just tape it at the top and bottom.

Clip hanger popped up, this caused the target to bulge out and put the top ring of the sighters above the trap, not a great idea.

This gave a flatter target, but no room for a backer.

I think tape top and bottom is probably better, and you can tape a backer to the trap, with the right target placement marked for repeatability.

Bob
Old 11-23-2014, 06:50 PM
pointfocus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootsAtSky View Post
The second link worked well with Chrome (PC) and Firefox (Android), didn't try the first link.

I like that target, but if you're using in with a DoAll type pellet trap it has two 'gotchas' you have to watch for.

First is actually a problem with the DoAll clip on the top, it sits right between the two sighters. If you get off the sighter and hit the clip it will bend the clip and ricochet almost anywhere. (It probably only SEEMED like two minutes while a pellet bounced around in my garage and I only heard one hit behind me, but it wasn't worth repeating to check the time.) BTW, if you use a smaller clip (after bending the first one), and a pellet hits the flat clip hanger the pellet comes straight back at you. (I'm a slow learner sometimes.)

The second problem is also partly the DoAll design and partly the target. If you hang the target using the hanger and clip, the bottom row of bulls can give you ricochets if you hit a little low. The picture below shows the top of the blue tape at the high point of the trap curve, it's just at the edge of the five ring. But, that's as far up as I could get it using the clip as shown in the DoAll instructions, if you aren't paying attention, you can have it mounted as low as the outside of the seven ring.

Pellets right at the top of the tape MIGHT go into the trap, or they might go straight up. Any pellets lower down on the tape are either coming back at you, or down into the bench and then somewhere else.

I was able to get about another half inch by either popping up the clip hanger or by bending the top of the target and clipping it to the top of the trap (no hanger). You could also just tape it at the top and bottom.

Clip hanger popped up, this caused the target to bulge out and put the top ring of the sighters above the trap, not a great idea.

I think tape top and bottom is probably better, and you can tape a backer to the trap, with the right target placement marked for repeatability.

Bob
That's the first time I've seen a pellet trap like that. My first thought was, that's interesting. Then it appears there some things that need revision.

Don't forget to wear eye protection. I would put some rags inside to catch/slow down the pellets. I did find a review posted by a can-do safety minded shooter that my be helpful.

http://www.airgunone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744

Try taping it to a pizza box lid. 2 ply, thin cardboard, with the accordion center. In all the crazy things I've tried, it works the best with light, low velocity (390 FPS) wad cutter pellets.

Thank you for your interest and sharing your setup with us.

Gil
Pointfocus
P.M.O.E

Last edited by pointfocus; 11-24-2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Grammer
Old 11-23-2014, 07:56 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Target backstop

When I was a child, my folks let me shoot the bb gun inside the house and an old rug was hung as a backstop. The target was hung from a narrow strip of wood, maybe a 1x3, which was itself hung from above and about a foot in front of the rug. The rug had plenty of give and the bbs would pretty much drop in place and could be reused.

Thinking about the issue of pellets bouncing back and the small existing bullet traps, I would bet a good rig could be designed using wood or PVC pipes, making a one yard square place to secure cardboard onto which targets could be taped and hanging a heavy rug or something that would give with the pellet's impact, so as to eliminate bounce back, behind the target. When the winter is over, and I get back up North where I have a shop, I can experiment with this idea.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:00 PM
ShootsAtSky

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It's sold by quite a few companies, Midway has it here, I got mine at Gander. I usually set it on a piece of old carpet and drape another piece over the angled backstop to damp down the 'clank' when a pellet hits.

They actually work pretty well, it can stop LR standards along with most air guns except some of the heavy magnums.

I got it when my .22 pumper started bending up my old Crossman trap even on light pumps. That one really was a no-go with any .22 including Super Colibris.

No issues with it, other than it could be a bit higher to hold full letter size targets with a better safety margin, and I'd rather see a setup for a drop in replaceable backer instead of the clip holder. But, taping a backer on and then holding the target with tape or staples works fine. It really can hold an 11 inch target safely, but you have to watch the placement.

Bob
Old 11-23-2014, 08:12 PM
ShootsAtSky

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good point.

I use a piece of 1/2 inch mdf about 2 feet square (from the scrap bin), with a piece of old carpet stapled with the backing out, as a backdrop. It's not stapled down tightly, so it can give and bounce the pellet back (usually). They don't bounce far, usually right in front of the trap to be swept up.

But, using rug or a blanket behind the target for an accurate pellet gun is not a good idea. While they would stop BBs that were spread around, a good pellet gun is going to hit the same place and will break thru after not too many shots. Found that out by using three Denver phone books (two inches each), my 1377 pistol got thru after only 40-50 shots. Got a real surprise when I heard a crack from a plastic VCR case behind the target box.

Gil, I forgot to mention, that trap is a sort'a snail trap, it doesn't have a full spiral like a snail trap, but it does have the top and bottom angled in to a curved section in the back. That's the curve you see coming from underneath the lower part of the pictures. The problem is the angle doesn't go all the way down to the bench, it starts about an inch up off the bench.

Bob
Old 11-24-2014, 03:26 PM
artanmac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So it sounds like the A17 target is what we will use then?
As mentioned on the previous page do we do :
Ten shots standing
No time limit
10 meters (33 feet) or as close as you can get. Keep it fun let's not get too wrapped up in differences of a few feet.
I know I'm forgetting something ,or 2, so feel free to add your ideas.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:23 PM
pointfocus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Proposed Winter Air Rifle Match

Shot 10 rounds today. The wind here in South East Ohio was gusting to 60 MPH. A gust took one shot off the bull.

The only thing I can't get working is posting the target picture. I tried joining IMUR. Couldn't get past the sign in gate. Opened up the computer and ended up with 2 virus. My antivirus software got them though. I can always email the pict's if needed.

Count me in.

Gil
Pointfocus
P.M.O.E.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:52 PM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
But, using rug or a blanket behind the target for an accurate pellet gun is not a good idea. While they would stop BBs that were spread around, a good pellet gun is going to hit the same place and will break thru after not too many shots.
Bob
Polycarbonate (Lexan) will stop a pellet at 800fps at 33ft., and barely leave a mark in it. New would be cost prohibitive per sq/ft, but a plastics supply or glass shop may have scraps of the stuff.

You guys have my brain churning here now with this match proposal.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:17 PM
artanmac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Air Rifle Match

That's some crazy gusts to be shooting an air rifle in Gil. What kind of score did you end up with? I hope to shoot a target or two tomorrow or the next day. I will post my scores just to get something going. Maybe try to get some scores posted by multiple people by December 1st as a trial/ practice match?

As far as frequency of the air rifle match do we want to try just once a month or twice a month to submit scores?

Posting score format I like what point focus has proposed in post # 11 of this thread.

I'm good with .177 cal and .22 cal all shooting in the same match and same target. Let's just have some fun and keep improving.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:44 PM
ShootsAtSky

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thinking about comparing apples and oranges...

Does it make sense to be able to submit two (or three) targets per cycle, one with iron/open sights, one with peep/aperture and/or scope. Lump peep and scope into one group like some matches do, or maybe get creative and give peeps and red dots/holo sights a group?

Or does it just complicate posting?

Might also be a good idea for the 'owner' to create a Scores and Standings post with the first five or ten posts already reserved so you can post entries without a lot of chatter between listings. Some of the early games got out of hand really fast and had to add a second list of entries five or more pages down when the first post got too big to add names to.

Oldblades, the pellets are going to bounce off that Lexan just about the same speed they arrived at, make sure you know where they're going next! That's why the layer of carpet, you want something to absorb the energy without returning it as a ricochet, but the Lexan would be great as a layer behind it, probably better than my MDF.

Bob
Old 11-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:

Oldblades, the pellets are going to bounce off that Lexan just about the same speed they arrived at, make sure you know where they're going next! That's why the layer of carpet, you want something to absorb the energy without returning it as a ricochet, but the Lexan would be great as a layer behind it, probably better than my MDF.

Bob
Well Bob, that'll teach me to post right before my most anxious moment. That would be the dinner bell.

Yes, what I meant was hanging the Lexan about a foot behind a chunk of scrap heavy carpet.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:25 PM
ShootsAtSky

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Funny, my most anxious moments usually start with "Does this xxx look ..."

You shouldn't need any room between them, in fact having the top of the carpet next to the lexan will actually trap any that get thru the carpet, instead of letting them bounce around.

Getting off my soapbox for a minute, the reason I'm pushing the safety issues is that most of us will be shooting this indoors, and standing doesn't exactly lead to bench rest shot placement.

Its going to be easy to have one miss now and then, and if it ricochets inside it will be at best a funny or embarrassing story (like hearing a ricochet hit behind you), or at worst a very, very bad day.

That's not even addressing that most airguns require either pumping or cocking and don't exactly lead to keeping the muzzle pointed at a small trap and backdrop.

It's going to take a lot of attention to keep it safe. Make sure you know where the kids, pets, family heirlooms, etc are and be careful with each shot.

Bob