Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Woolly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumair View Post
I'm a new member of the forum and I live in Canada. I just want to say hello to all the other members. My problem is Iown this gun and it is brand new but it will not chamber a round once the mag is loaded with .17 HMR AMMO. If I cycle the lever 5-10 times somtimes it will chamber a round but most times no. Does anyone know what could be wrong with my rifle?I would love any help I could get, Thanks very much, George.
Give Henry a call or email themy. They are usually VERY fast getting back to you. You may also want to contact the dealer where you bought it or SIR (the main Canadian importer).
Old 01-23-2009, 05:26 PM
haertig

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Google has a preview of a book illustrating a Henry rifle disassembly:

http://books.google.com/books?id=r_i...le+henry+rifle
Old 06-24-2010, 02:53 PM
JoeGun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Guy's,

This is one of the Best Info Thread's that I have came across on FieldStripping a Lever Action Henry.

My Vote goes to make this Thread a "Sticky" Please,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 06:27 PM
BigLoop22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ladies & gentlemen,

Just to give my 2 pennies, and no offense meant to anyone, but if I have to clean a gun from the muzzle, then that's the way that I do it. If I can do a better job of cleaning a gun from the breech end, then that is included in my cleaning regimen. While I understand the issue of keeping the muzzle crown pristeen, I have no fear of cleaning only from that end. I do not beat up myself for cleaning any gun from the muzzle only. I prefer that a gun can be easily disassembled, so that it can be cleaned from all angles. If I can get out the breechbolt on my boltgun, then I add cleaning from the breech to my operation of cleaning from the muzzle. (Insert gasps of horror, here.)

...and, I'll give you another one of my deep, dark, dirty secrets: I break in a barrel on a new rifle by shooting it, exactly the way that I shoot all of my guns, regardless of age, or rounds through the barrel. (Insert shouts for crucifixion, here. )

BigLoop22
Old 06-27-2010, 02:16 PM
swdw
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Posted this in the cleaning thread. Here's a youtube video on breaking it down far enough to clean the internals. This is not a complete disassembly.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:28 AM
JoeGun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swdw View Post
Posted this in the cleaning thread. Here's a youtube video on breaking it down far enough to clean the internals. This is not a complete disassembly.

SWDW,

Thank you much for posting the link to Fred's Video,, it sure did help me a Bunch.

And also Thank You Admin3 for putting this Thread in a Sticky.

Great Forum,, and Much Appreciated,
Joe
Old 01-13-2011, 10:38 AM
snakewake

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Is the .17 the same as the 22 when disassenbling
Old 01-20-2011, 05:53 PM
sea157

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumair View Post
I'm a new member of the forum and I live in Canada. I just want to say hello to all the other members. My problem is Iown this gun and it is brand new but it will not chamber a round once the mag is loaded with .17 HMR AMMO. If I cycle the lever 5-10 times somtimes it will chamber a round but most times no. Does anyone know what could be wrong with my rifle?I would love any help I could get, Thanks very much, George.

Just a stupid question but.
You did put the inner mag tube back in after you loaded the shell in didn't you?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:11 PM
longislandloco
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
UnidenSoup, the Ithaca was the Model 72 Saddle gun, made by Erma of West Germany, before unification. these were really slick little rifles. I really thing the Henry is the same basic gun, looks like Henry purchased the old Erma tooling.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:35 PM
plinkin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used this thread and a previous YouTube video I watched a while back to assist me in disassembling my H001L far enough to give it a 1st cleaning. I have 100 rounds through it and I figured it was time to clean. Although many feel it is best to do this prior to 1st firing it I didn't do that. I see both sides of cleaning prior to firing or waiting to clean it after a few rounds. Anyway, I just finished and I am amazed how much more smooth the action is after a little lube.

Thanks RCF
Old 04-03-2011, 10:02 AM
D Harry

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
Keepandbeararms:

Below is a copy of disassembly instructions that I copied from a thread in Rimfire sometime back. I can't vouch for it's accuracy so move slowly and carefully. I have six Henrys now and have never had occasion to tear one down. The furthest that I have ever gone down that road was to remove the receiver cover on my Henry pump in order to dislodge a jammed bullet. According to Henry, the rifles shouldn't need to be torn down and quite frankly, I tend to agree with them.

Good luck.

Old Blue
__________________________________________________ ___________
__________________________________________________ ___________

Henry Lever Tune Up and Repair.
Here is the diagram in case you do not have your manual handy. Thanks to BigLoop22 for the diagram!
Check and ensure your rifle is unloaded.
During disassembly pay attention to where things are, you will need to put them back in the same manner.
Ok, now before getting started: Check and ensure your rifle is unloaded!!
1) Take of the Front Sight Hood (33).
2) Unscrew the Barrel Band Screw (30) and slide up and off of the barrel/mag tube assembly and then gently pull the Forend (52) forward and off.
3) Unscrew the Stock Screw (50) and gently pull the Buttstock assembly down and off.
4) Unscrew all 4 Cover screws (42) and carefully work the receiver (01) up, back and off of the Carrier Axle.
5) If the Bolt (35) did not come off with the cover, remove it now by working the lever all the way down and leave it down. Even if the bolt is off already work the lever down anyhow to ensure the hammer is locked back and leave the lever down.
6) Remove Lever Pin (15) and carefully work out lever (14)
7) While holding the Lock Bar (16) in place, remove Locking Bar pin (18), then remove Lock Bar (16) and Locking Bar Spring (17).
8) While holding Hammer (21) press trigger (19) and slowly allow hammer to go as far forward as possible.
9) Slide up and remove Hammer Guide (23) and Hammer Spring (24)
10) Remove Hammer Pin (22) and then gently slide out the Hammer (21)
11) Remove Trigger pin, Trigger (19) and Trigger Spring (20)
-Now focus on the Bolt-
A) At this point with the bolt you can remove the pins to clean or replace the extractor and ejector as well as their respective springs.
B) At this point I removed all the pins and polished everything before reassembling the bolt.
Now that everything is completely apart polish all of the following pieces until they are shiny (do not change the angles though):
- entire bolt (you only have to do the parts of the bolt that make contact with the Carrier Axle, but I do the whole thing because it looks cool shiny)
- the portions of the carrier axle that the bolt rides on.
- the portion of the receiver which the bolt (may) contact when sliding through.
- the portions of the lever that (may) contact other parts.
- the portions of the lever which rotate on other metal.
- the portions of the trigger which rotate on other metal.
- the portions of trigger that engage with the hammer.
- the hammer guide ball.
- the portions of the hammer which make contact with the trigger (I also reduced this engagement just a teeny bit, but I donít recommend that if this is your first time doing things like this).
I have done the following with 100% success on 4 Henry's now:
A) reduce the locking bar spring by 1.5 coils and stretched back out to correct size. (I used a set of outside calipers, I set them to correct size when the spring was stock).
B) reduced the trigger return spring by 3.5 coils and then stretched it back out to the correct size.
Lightly lube all components and then re-assemble by doing steps 1 through 11 in the opposite order.
Your lever should now be as smooth as silk and your trigger should be about a crisp 1lb
I should probably write up all the minor issues I have had with it over the time it took to get to where it is, it might be useful for someone or other... so let's see...
1)Front site hood went Bye Bye - I always lose these things, I have a bunch of Henry's and now any that get scoped I take the hood off and save it so I actually have some that way.
2) Around 70K rounds (wild guess there) Spring 17 got weak and the lever did not lock in the closed mode any more - I am sure this is due to the mod I make to the spring rather than any design flaw, but when you get the lever as smooth as mine is the huge click to lock in place is out of place, so I make the mod. (I will update my page with this I guess)
3) The receiver of this is not blued, glossy black paint from a model shop works perfect to fix it right back up though when it gets too scratched- and it will - however I really like my textured paint I used which is hard as a rock, wish I still had the recipe I used to make that paint I tried to make something like the touch up paint for my large gun safe, maybe I will experiment with that next.
4) Twice I tried an idea I had and modified the carrier/carrier group, the best I can say after my expirements is: "don't do that" I buggered it both times.
Well, enough talk, I'm going shooting
Alright Then.

Updated on ... January 29, 2005
I think this info should be taken down. You cannot cut a spring and then stretch it back to original length. Even the OP has not used this info... he just posted it.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:32 PM
kurtinnj
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magnumair
Are you sure you have a Henry that is chambered for a 17HMR? If your rifle is chambered for a 22WMR or 22LR the 17 will not work. Anyway welcome to the forum, I'm new too.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 PM
bigfatdave
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
kurtinnj - Magnumair's post is from 2007, I assume he figured it out by now
Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 PM
plinkin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtinnj View Post
Magnumair
Are you sure you have a Henry that is chambered for a 17HMR? If your rifle is chambered for a 22WMR or 22LR the 17 will not work. Anyway welcome to the forum, I'm new too.
A rifle chambered 22mag will chamber a 17HMR round but not the other way around.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Fotheringill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You wouldn't believe how many sites I went to to find the above instructions (including this one. Now I know to read all stickies). Thank you.