Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:10 PM
lessisbest

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Colt getting out of the rifle market

Just read this. I'm passing it on without comment.

Colt will no longer make or sell rifles to civilians. (all, not just AR-15)
Old 09-19-2019, 09:15 PM
toivo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Maybe just my ignorance showing, but I didn't know that Colt made any rifles that weren't AR-15s.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:16 PM
Tailwheel

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Now I only have to pick from 99 different manufacturers of Armalite Rifles

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 10:21 PM
lessisbest

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toivo View Post
Maybe just my ignorance showing, but I didn't know that Colt made any rifles that weren't AR-15s.
Nor did I. Just quoted what I read. Here's the news article:

https://www.wnd.com/2019/09/colt-sus...vilian-market/
Old 09-19-2019, 10:48 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel View Post
Now I only have to pick from 99 different manufacturers of Armalite Rifles

They didn't have that big a share of that market anyway. I know lots of folks with an AR-15 pattern rifle; none of them is a Colt.

Last edited by Sophia; 09-19-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:16 PM
smatda

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Much easier to get military contracts that don't have the price and regulatory pressures of the civilian market. And Colt has been doing that extremely well for over a century...
Old 09-19-2019, 11:31 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Colt pulled this PC nonsense long ago with handguns, it nearly killed them back then. Guess they didn't learn their lesson. Just when they are making a good comeback with nice 1911's and new revolvers, they have to go and crap in their nest.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:03 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (148)
They had little following this time around anyway. I can see though, those who are are shooters, will never buy a revolver from them now. They will go under again. I know Maggie Reese is a 3 gun shooter for Colt, so what will she shoot now?
Old 09-20-2019, 05:22 AM
JMKnowles

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lot's and lot's of competition out there for Colt. You can buy, or build a top quality AR these days for a lot less than Colt sells theirs.

Nobody's gonna miss them, no matter what their reason is for stopping their AR production.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:56 AM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Colt pulled this PC nonsense long ago with handguns, it nearly killed them back then. Guess they didn't learn their lesson. Just when they are making a good comeback with nice 1911's and new revolvers, they have to go and crap in their nest.
I have family members in Colt management - one recently retired and another still there. Both tell me this is a business decision and not based on politics. Their civilian rifle lines have not been selling well for years. Because the military and law enforcement contracts have stricter record keeping and compliance regulations, Colt's cost to manufacture is higher than a typical sporting arms only maker.

Their ratio of government to civilian sales volumes doesn't justify maintaining separate production capabilities for the private sector, and the higher costs of government product lines has priced their civilian rifles out of the market.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:55 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieNH View Post
I have family members in Colt management - one recently retired and another still there. Both tell me this is a business decision and not based on politics. Their civilian rifle lines have not been selling well for years. Because the military and law enforcement contracts have stricter record keeping and compliance regulations, Colt's cost to manufacture is higher than a typical sporting arms only maker.

Their ratio of government to civilian sales volumes doesn't justify maintaining separate production capabilities for the private sector, and the higher costs of government product lines has priced their civilian rifles out of the market.
Not to the OP, but; to those family members:

Where does the record keeping and compliance explain what an equal quality 1911 or SAA will cost double those from the competition? Too many years selling gold plated toilet seats to compete in the real world. What govt agency buys SAA. Colt really helped make Ruger the giant it is today.

A classic example of how colt values the 'pony' stamp was buying cap and ball revolvers from Uberti and rebranding as colts and selling for 2x ing the price. And that is excellent apples to apples because the same Uberti were sold later with honest pricing under the Uberti name.

I do have some colts and they are nice. I was lazy on the homework or had to have something, at the time. Obama related panic comes to mind. It would probably take a meteor strike to get me off the bench to buy anything more.

OH, let me add, my colt gold cup had a beautiful finish but would not shoot for beans! New barrel, link and bushing were needed just get it to shoot good enough to keep. Not my best, by a long shot. My most expensive 1911 all said and done. I feel like an idiot - multiple times. Never again.

Last edited by fourbore; 09-20-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:52 AM
dlong

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe they should go back to their core competencies and make real nice 1911 and revolvers. Diamond back comes to mind.
......Tom Petty
Old 09-20-2019, 09:54 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like ol shooter I have a long memory and as far as I'm concerned Colt got out of the gun business a long time ago. Don't own one and never will but hey that is just me.

John
Old 09-20-2019, 10:37 AM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
They had little following this time around anyway. I can see though, those who are are shooters, will never buy a revolver from them now. They will go under again. I know Maggie Reese is a 3 gun shooter for Colt, so what will she shoot now?
Perusing this thread, one would think that nobody has read the actual press release. I can't blame y'all, even the mainstream media is reporting on this as though it's some kind of victory for gun control.

NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH.

Copy/Paste from another forum.

"COLT CONTINUES: Pauses Civilian AR-15 Market For Military Contracts.

The statement also explains the company has a number of high-volume military contracts and that their entire rifle production capacity is needed to fulfil these orders.
This is something which Colt has done in the past when completing large scale military contracts.
The statement follows the news that the company has been awarded a $41,924,594 firm-fixed-price contract to provide M4s to more than a dozen countries through US Department of Defense foreign military sales.
While the number of rifles to be produced is not specified the completion date is set for 18 September 2024, and depending on per rifle cost may run to between 50-70,000 rifles, not to mention earlier M4 contracts recently awarded to Colt."

So the truth is that they've landed a huge contract that will consume all of their production capabilities until 2024. Good for them.

They do continue to expand their line of revolvers available. If you check their website, you'll see six or seven offerings, with more planned in the future.

Their 1911's will continue to be offered, and are an excellent value, despite one members experience. Personally, I've never seen those issues with a Gold Cup, and most problems can be traced back to a loose nut behind the trigger.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:43 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
EDIT: I see dbmjr1 beat me to it while I was typing.

Show of hands -- how many of you read the whole article instead of just the snippet summary introduction posted on the WND site?

First, let me say I'm in the group of people who believe this is purely a business decision based on practicalities driven by the market. Businesses are in the business of making money. That's their number one priority. Nothing else matters. That said, I'm fascinated at how a purely factual discussion gets spun both by the news media and the various groups of people reading that news depending on their political bent, their level of paranoia, etc.

Quote:
Colt’s chief executive officer, Dennis Veilleux, says it is not permanently ending production but believes there is already an adequate supply of sporting rifles on the market.
Group A: Demand is at a low point now as the market is practically saturated. Just about everyone who wants one has one. There is lots of competition meeting the remaining demand. Colt can't compete at those price points.

Group B: See! They are unhappy with all the weapons of war on the street and are doing their part to make a difference!

Group C: See! They caved to pressure being applied by the anti-gun activists! Those bastages! I'll punish them... I will never again buy anything they make!

Note how most readers completely skipped that part about "not permanently."

If you clicked on the link to read the full article and not just the snippet written by WND -- World Net Daily, an internet site described as "news for the far right fringe" -- you would have read more of that conversation:

Quote:
“The fact of the matter is that over the last few years, the market for modern sporting rifles has experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity,” Colt’s chief executive officer, Dennis Veilleux, said in a written statement. “Given this level of manufacturing capacity, we believe there is adequate supply for modern sporting rifles for the foreseeable future.”

Veilleux said the company, which emerged from bankruptcy in 2016, remains committed to the Second Amendment. He said the company is expanding its lines of pistols and revolvers.
In the same article an outsider looking in said this:

Quote:
“Given these sales and the history of Colt being a completely disorganized, dysfunctional company that goes into bankruptcy and can’t keep anything going properly, my assumption is that this is a business decision that is being driven by their own business problems,” {Winkler) said.
Winkler is an academic at the University of California, Los Angeles School of Law specializing in issues and legislation related to guns.

Quote:
“We’ve seen in the past that when gun manufacturers are viewed to have given in to gun-safety advocates, gun owners will boycott them and really hurt their business,” he said. “If they think a company like Colt is disrespecting their identity or giving in to the other side, Colt’s likely going to see serious damage to its other firearms brands too.”
So, yeah, let's all boycott Colt for not making rifles for the civilian market and drive them completely out of business, meaning one less maker of guns for the civilian market. Yeah, that will show those gun grabbers that we're serious!

Last edited by Sophia; 09-20-2019 at 05:11 PM.