Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:42 AM
smgchandler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New savage 17wsm hb in boyds

I ve read neg and a few pos posts on these rifles. I just purchased a cheap new 96972 savage and i like the thoughts of the 17 wsm but want to ask the fellas that have this rifle in the Thumbhole Boydís and heavy stainless barrel what suggestions on mods to stock or rifle it needs and what ammo you prefer. Not sure what scope but i have several vari power probably 30mm. I want to think this rifle is going to shoot if the rimfire ammo of today is more consistent ? Anyone comment on that too be great and any other suggestions welcome. Thanks
Old 09-13-2019, 03:49 AM
smgchandler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also anyone sort by weight their ammo and does it help with fliers ?
Old 09-13-2019, 09:31 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smgchandler View Post
22rf sorting results vary but generally no, too many variables of components.

Its hard to say which ammo will shoot the best in a particular firearm until its tested.
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 10:22 AM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smgchandler View Post
I did a certain amount of weight sorting in the early days of owning my Sav. HB SS Bmag but then stopped when I was still hitting, mostly sage rats, what I was aiming at with un-weight sorted ammo.

It certainly isn't going to hurt anything so if you want, weight sort away, but I've taken quite a few 17 WSM rounds apart and the weight variance mostly comes from the amount of priming compound used in each case. Of all the ones I've taken apart and weighed out the components separately the powder charge was always spot on from one to the next.

As for what to do with your new Bmag, I'd start with getting an in.lb torque wrench, loosen then re-tighten the action screws to 18 in.lbs
Old 09-13-2019, 02:14 PM
smgchandler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I appreciate the info - Iíve read a lot of post and most were from 2013 or not so recent and feel that the problems with inconsistent ammo maybe has been corrected. I have purchased a brick of hornady 20 gr for it. Donít have the rifle yet but will receive next week. I will mount a scope and see what happens at 100 and 200. Can anyone tell me if the hb in Boydís Thumbhole has any type of pillars ? It states barrel is floating. Any suggestions for bedding first few inches of barrel ? Or bedding stock - will tighten action screws at 18 - Iíve read the action screws are hid under trigger guard - are both under guard ?
Old 09-20-2019, 09:17 PM
smgchandler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rifle Arrived yesterday and i mounted and zeroed scope using dip rail. Common problem with barrel not lined up in stock but barrel was free floating. Best group i could achieve was 4 maybe even 5Ē group. A little disappointed but gonna do a search on best way to bed and maybe try to improve the way the stock is anchored down. The action screws and where they mount is like nothing Iíve ever seen. Not really sure where to start. If anyone has improved their hb bmag in a Boydís stock with bedding or any other mod i sure would like to hear about it. Thanks
Old 09-20-2019, 10:03 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use a piece of inner tube in the forearm for mine.
Here's someone else's bedding thread when I posted 'bedding' into the 'search feature' in this forum. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...hlight=bedding
Old 09-21-2019, 06:51 AM
RimShot1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got my girl a Bmag lady hunter, it came in Boyd's stock and Bushnell 17wsm specific scope! Like so many other Bmags action hugged left side of stock! Could not do better than "2.5-3" groups! So used JB weld and bedded action! After proper set up time, set target up at 40 yds. For test fire, results in photo! 4 shots in 1 hole!!🎯😁
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190903_075318~2_1569066499285.jpg (474.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 09-22-2019, 12:28 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow! Nice!
Old 09-22-2019, 07:16 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
Wow! Nice!
Pretty colors eh?

Good bedding with target report RS.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:49 PM
smgchandler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well i havenít bedded the action but have placed aluminum tape in the only area that could be bedded - tried different ammo and grain of bullets - q tip test on crown and different torque settings on action screws. Still shoots like crap so i emailed savage about it. Awaiting a response. Maybe it has a bad barrel or maybe this is as good as it gets but figured i better not modify too much if Iím going to send back to savage. Iíve read savage is pretty good to follow up and i will post back on outcome. Thanks for the input here. Anyone else ever contact savage ? I personally have never sent a rifle back to a manufacturer.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:47 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They replaced mine the first year they came out.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:00 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Technical support: 1 (413) 568-7001

I posted this for you over on AccurateShooter also, but calling Savage Tech support is easy and very good to deal with. You'll talk to a live Tech person right away without being on hold. Everyone is different, but I'd MUCH rather talk to someone on the phone versus play the email back and forth game that can take much longer to reach a resolve.

It sounds like your gun definitely has some kind of issue if 4in groups is the best it will do and I'd contact them on the phone and get it sent back right away so you they can fix or replace whatever is causing the accuracy issue and they can get it back to you sooner than later.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:09 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
They replaced mine the first year they came out.
Edited to add- my original wasn't as bad as SMG's. I did explain how it didn't meet Savage's accuracy guarantee with different ammo and I sent pix of a best target and the damaged muzzle/crown and bore from the maroon that reamed out the crown.
Ditto calling instead puter/email chatting.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:01 PM
smgchandler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
B23 i took your advice and talked with savage and sent rifle back first of this week. Iím curious will they tell me what they did to rifle or what they find ? What is average turn around - weeks or months ? Just for personal knowledge i would like to know what the problem was. Never had a rifle that shot that bad out of the box and itís kind of like i have a natural desire to fix it and make it shoot and i donít have nightmares about it but - Well it just wont work i mean itís gonna shoot or i wonít own it long but i really like the caliber. I also cut it some slack because of rimfire ammo - no changing that other than gr choice and brand and that could change with each purchase. Iím realistic and donít expect one hole but do expect minute of prairie dog