Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:48 PM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Choice for an entry-level ATV

Guys, Im in the market for a 4 wheeler. Single rider, not a SxS.

Imma big guy, 63 and 280 lbs. This will be my first ATV. Im 56 and I have decided to treat myself to some help working in the woods and hunting.

Opinions and experiences are welcome. I have been considering a Polaris Sportsman 450 HO, but am open to other brands/models.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:58 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
That would work..
I am a Honda fan.. look at the FourTrax Rancher 4X4 420cc..
https://powersports.honda.com/atv/re...specifications
https://powersports.honda.com/atv/re...ancher/gallery

Dunno what price range ya wanna be in but that one is a great entry level.. and for your size 400+ cc is best.. get one too big they are IMO too Bulky
Old 09-12-2019, 06:27 PM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I've had two Honda Ranchers, the last one a 2016 model with electronic shift, and last year purchased a Polaris 570 Sportsman. The Polaris 450 HO and the 570 Sportsman are both basically the same machine with different engines. I can tell you that after one year of use that I wish I had either kept the Honda or purchased a Rancher with power steering and independent suspension. The Polaris with its engine braking is awful. Every time you let off on the gas the machine acts like the brakes have been put on. You're either lurching forward or lurching backward depending on what you're doing with the gas lever. The Honda can be had with a foot shifter, the thumb shifter, or automatic. In eleven years of owning the Hondas, I rode in 2nd or 3re gear ninety percent of the time and it was all you needed. It had a lot of torque and it was very rare to need low gear or go above third gear when off roading. I'd suggest you ride both and decide. I have yet to meet an experienced/unbiased rider who liked the engine braking on the Polaris, and no one likes the Polaris in the hills with out some type of braking assist going down hills. The Honda greatly excells in this area for off-roading and hill riding. Also, the Honda is a shaft drive, not a belt drive. The belts stretch and slap on the Polaris constantly. Sign me off as a disappointed Polaris owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 07:46 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (148)
Find a good used Honda. The run forever. My cousin raises cattle, and uses it to check the cattle twice a day and drag deer out during deer season, and fix the fence, and he is bigger than you and has owned nothing but Honda's.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:03 PM
shootbrownelk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd say you should look for a used Yamaha Grizzly 700 EFI. Don't get one with a carb. I had a Grizzly 700 that I sold and bought a Rhino 700. That Grizzly 700 would go over 60 mph with me on it, I'm 6'2" and 250lbs. I got the Rhino to stay out of the elements and to stay warm when elk hunting in the late season. I never had one issue with my Grizzly and pulled a couple of Polaris' and a Can Am back to camp with it. I've seen more Polaris machines break down than any other.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:19 PM
popop

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You will not do better than a Honda

Have ridden 4wheelers for years, started out on three wheelers, Big Red. Have owned at least one of almost everybrand. Raced sport two strokes ( Banshees). You will not find better or more well engineered than Honda and Yamaha. Your a big fellow and those brands will work for you.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:21 PM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I liked the 3 wheelers much better, myself.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:50 PM
fugawe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I worked on ATV's for 38 years. To say it politely, I'm not a Polaris fan.
All of the suggestions above are good ones. You won't regret buying a Japanese ATV.
When you find one that suits you, go on the ATV forums and read, read, read on that model.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:26 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
I liked the 3 wheelers much better, myself.
Can't say I liked them better than the modern day 4-wheelers... BUT, I LOVED this one.. bought it new in 1983.. Honda 200X.. Fun Fun Fun.. and it pulled out several Deer and 1 Spike Elk for me Was my Pet for 36 years.. I let it go to a good home this July.. still heart-broken over it. My back can't handle the fun anymore.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:50 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why not really treat yourself and buy a Jeep Wrangler.. at least when you tip over youll have a seat belt on
Old 09-13-2019, 06:00 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes to a used Honda. 5 years ago we purchased a pre scratched '97 Honda TRX300FW. Within a week I managed to shove a sharp stick through the flexible fender extension. That is why spending $1,200 on a used one v $6,000 on new made sense. Mine has been very useful around the property. I have two carts, front end loader bucket, driveway drag, sled for pulling very large pieces of tree trunk to the splitter, disc and a heavy duty rake to turn over the limestone driveway. One word of advice. well two. If used hard change the oil often and find a 12v fan from a water cooled MC and mount it in front of the cylinder head. Not only a great workhorse but fun just to take on the trails to enjoy life. Not a racer by any means.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:17 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Honda Rancher should fill your needs.
I have owned many Honda and Yamaha motorcycles over the years, and wouldn't hesitate buying from ether on a reliability standpoint.

We got two of the Honda 4 wheelers in 2007, a 400 for me and a 250 for the wife. We traded the two in 2015 on a Honda 700 Pioneer side by side. As long as you keep up on oil changes you'll get a lot of trouble free use out of a Rancher. Anything smaller than the 400 would be to small for you, but with the 600-800 comes weight that can be a drawback in tight areas. If you get into a spot where you have to drag the rear or front around to clear something you'll wish you didn't go for the extra power.
I put a snow plow on mine and it would do the job with no problems. I also put a boss plow on the side by side that replaced it. Since 2007 the Rancher and Pioneer have plowed the neighbors driveway more than a few times while he was waiting for parts for his Polaris.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:19 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Zero experience with a one-by ATV: have a Kawasaki Mule 610 side-side 4X4, and have had it for 14 years. We use it for chores around the farm and typically carry 4-5 bales of hay from my storage shed to the barn. Can easily carry three on the front seat and another two in the bed if need-be.

It is more sedate than a one-two person ATV, but far more utilitarian. At your age, consider how easy it will be to mount an ATV in 5-10 years. Getting into our 610 is just as easy as getting into a golf cart, and we're in our late'60s to early '70s. Has about a 1,100# towing capacity, too. Made a plywood hard-top for it and a 3/4 windshield to keep the rain off our faces (the lower 1/4 is clear, but lets us see where we're going without rain in our eyes).

Will go pretty much anywhere an ATV will go, for about the same price. The newer ones are fuel-injected and are an improvement. And still will fit in a full-sized pickup truck bed.

It is about the smallest 4X4 UTV available in terms of overall sizes. Fits in our garage, with a roof and tools on top just fine. And a decent-sized bed.

Just worthy of consideration...If a meteor vaporizes this one, will get another...
Old 09-13-2019, 03:06 PM
Bottom Gun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’ve owned two Honda Recons (TRX250) in the past. Both were 100% reliable and trouble free.
I still own a Honda Foreman (TRX400) that I bought new 18 yr ago and I also have a 5 yr old Honda Rincon (TRX680). These have also been 100% reliable and trouble free. They get a LOT of use.

My friends who ride Polaris are constantly having issues with them.

My friends with Yamahas have much better luck than the Polaris riders but still have some issues.

If I were buying an ATV today, it would be a Honda.

Last edited by Bottom Gun; 09-14-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:53 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As far as a smaller size having the power required I don't see it being an issue. Our 300 pulls my Wife and I up some pretty steep grades with ease. When the FE loader is filled with limestone it's so heavy the rear wheels come off the ground if I'm not sitting far back on the seat. Polaris reliability? That's an oxymoron from what I'm seeing.