roundabouts - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:06 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
roundabouts

While I'm not a big fan of roundabouts here in Upper Michigan they appear to work somewhat despite ill planned engineering faults.
The 2 problems as I see them in our area are;
(1) the turning radius is too tight for tractor trailers and the like w/o using part of the other lane;
(2) the Einsteins here are putting em in at some intersections just to slow traffic down on trunkline 4 lane sections of highway where the accident rate is higher than average because of those who run red lights these days. What??

Popcorn?
Old 09-11-2019, 10:30 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We have two on a two lane that connects a semi-rural area to the rest of the city. Good size, no real problem.

Three new ones on a stretch of 2 lane past a community college. Size seems based on traffic (?) One connects to a similar cross street with fairly heavy traffic. It is a good size, no real problem.

A second one is where two roads into the college connect. Slightly smaller, sometimes a problem for larger vehicles.

The third is a joke, wasn't even needed, and way too small. A residential street connects with it, very little traffic. I can barely get my city bus around it. I've seen several semis give up and run over the raised and landscaped center. The construction crew that built them, and the other roadwork being done, can't get their own equipment through it. The curbing for it is black from tire rub, in less than a month. I know some of our firetrucks would never fit.

I see two major problems with even good sized roundabouts. One, even though they are quicker that traditonal intersections with signal lights, some people still aren't satisfied and dive out in front of the roundabout traffic. Second, if there is a crash, it blocks everything. Traffic is a standstill until the wreck is cleared.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:47 AM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
In Yuma there was an intersection where the Interstate exits dumped the traffic off onto surface streets. It was very well controlled with stoplights, never a problem. Of course, the powers that be just HAD to put a roundabout there and yet another one just up the street a couple of hundred yards. After all, roundabouts are SO COOL . I had to go through one just after they opened and almost got creamed by some idiot changing lanes right in the middle of it. Never again, there is a way around these dang fool things and that is the route I take now.

I think a lot of the problem with these is that out in the flyover states there aren't any, or very few, and people just dont know how to drive in them. When Country Mouse goes to the Big City, things get confused.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:33 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I hate 'em, and will go out of my way to avoid one...

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 09-11-2019, 12:08 PM
shootbrownelk
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Put me down as another vote in the I hate them category.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:10 PM
dlong

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Round a bouts or jug handles. No problem if you know how to drive.
......Tom Petty
Old 09-11-2019, 12:16 PM
wmrike

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I don't know what the stats are, and don't much care.

There's too much judgement involved. If someone can't negotiate a stop sign or traffic light safely, there's no way they will breeze through the turmoil of a circle.

In my neck of the woods there are signs as you approach them, but the circles themselves are poorly marked. In the dark, in the rain, in deep snow, they're frightening.

What does it cost to put in one of those? They spent ten weeks on the most recent one in our area, and we're out in the country.

Honest to God. I couldn't believe it. Two years ago I was out in rural Kansas, two lane roads, and hadn't seen anything but wheat fields and cattle for perhaps 15 minutes. And there's a roundabout. The only explanation I could come up with is that there was tax money that someone needed to burn. Here's the kicker. Before you get to the roundabout, and you wanted to make a right turn, there was a whole separate lane of pavement that by-passed the roundabout - it was marked as reserved for government vehicles. What's going on here?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:33 PM
rjinaz86323
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
we have some in my small town. They work well for the locals. Many tourists have no idea how to navigate them.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:37 PM
Revvv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've only found one good use for round abouts; they are fun to play on with the Mustang. Beyond childish mayhem they are a waste in my opinion.

They make for a great go cart track. The one we have in the middle of nowhere is also fun for children with remote controlled cars. It's a perfect racetrack for that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2019, 03:00 PM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A much overlooked benefit of a roundabout is that there are generally no traffic signals to fail when the power goes out.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:09 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Old 09-11-2019, 03:33 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (148)
I am one that hates them. Rude people that do not wait their turn just fly through and you're left sitting there while car after car cruises through and traffic backs up behind you. I prefer a light. I never did understand why they think this is a good thing.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My city did one as a trial, in an attempt to reduce stop signs. It was made of those flattened, orange plastic tubes arranged in a circle, with a yellow line around it on the pavement.

Problem is, it was done at a small residential intersection. A hook & ladder plowed through it in an emergency and that was that. They scraped it off and put the stop signs back.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:10 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like them if they are properly designed and used as intended. Some numbskull put one up in Ohio where you have a stop sign in two places in the circle. Has anyone seen one where two roads intersect at 90 degrees but one of the roads has right of way entering the circle?
Old 09-12-2019, 07:35 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
I am one that hates them.
I never did understand why they think this is a good thing.
Because engineers and designeers that cheated in school have jobs now?