Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:04 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post
I am pretty sure I have had very few lots of SK magazine, but I do remember quite a few lots of SK std + i couldnt get to shoot past 25y to save my life.
I had some SK Standard + before that shot great. One thing I noticed about this new lot is it does not have that weird Eley Prime smell when you shoot it. They must have changed it.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
I had some SK Standard + before that shot great. One thing I noticed about this new lot is it does not have that weird Eley Prime smell when you shoot it. They must have changed it.
Has anyone else noticed a change in how the Standard + smells?
Old 09-11-2019, 11:08 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (231)
Quote:
Has anyone else noticed a change in how the Standard + smells?
Are you saying it stinks?

I had a case of SK Standard+ in the "old" gold box that was incredibly good. I used the last of it late last year and because it was so good I bought five bricks of the new "black box". It does not perform nearly as well as the old stuff. Is it lot-to-lot variation or have they done something else between the gold box and black box versions? I don't know, only that I am disappointed in the lesser performance. Haven't noticed that it "stinks" otherwise though.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 11:48 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Even 'if' the formula stayed the same the lot to lot production would make any and all a craps shoot.
Until a new lot of anything proves itself I will consider it only average before firing a shot. The 'bell curve' is real.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:57 PM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I love the stuff!!! I’m a squirrel hunter and this stuff will just plain knock the snot out of a squirrels head at 50 yards... I think your prob shooting the wrong ammo if ragged hunting les at 50 yards is what your looking for..
Although SK STD + will shoot .25” groups at 50 yards out of my 452 and my 457... Wait a minute CCI SV will too lol... Good luck on your quest for the Gold
Old 09-11-2019, 09:31 PM
hickorynut
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post

I had a case of SK Standard+ in the "old" gold box that was incredibly good. I used the last of it late last year and because it was so good I bought five bricks of the new "black box". It does not perform nearly as well as the old stuff. Is it lot-to-lot variation or have they done something else between the gold box and black box versions? I don't know, only that I am disappointed in the lesser performance. Haven't noticed that it "stinks" otherwise though.

Doug
Doug, I'm hoping its just getting the right lot # I have one brick left of the best SK standard+ I've ran across, I have shot 4 cases of that lot # and wish I had 10 more cases. I've also been shooting quite a bit of the SK Pistol match and pistol match special with good results.
Over the years I've had two cases of SK standard + that sucked, it takes a long time to shoot up two cases using it to foul freshly cleaned bores. I haven't tried any of the Wolf match target since they are having Eley make it, I shot lots of it before I discovered SK Standard +
Old 09-12-2019, 09:14 AM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
In a way yes, but not literally. It doesn't smell bad at all. Other lots, and all other Eley Prime ammo I have ever shot, had a very distinct acrid odor upon firing. This lot does not have that, which makes me wonder if they changed something, or perhaps they screwed up and filled my box with SK Magazine by accident.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:35 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Quote:
It doesn't smell bad at all. Other lots, and all other Eley Prime ammo I have ever shot, had a very distinct acrid odor upon firing. This lot does not have that, which makes me wonder if they changed something, or perhaps they screwed up and filled my box with SK Magazine by accident.
Eley Prime is not associated with SK. SK ammo is made in Schönebeck, Germany, along with Lapua.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:19 PM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
Eley Prime is not associated with SK. SK ammo is made in Schönebeck, Germany, along with Lapua.
I did not say it was Eley Prime. I said that other lots I have fired had that Eley Prime smell. Very distinktive smell. Pun intended.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
Now that I know your group was shot with a 10/22, I'll show what my own put-together 10/22 did with a good lot of CCI SV cartridges. This was with a 3~9X scope too.

A different lot of CCI could be completely different as my subsequent experience proved.

Ruger 10/22 action, Green Mountain barrel, Boyd's laminated stock. I reworked the factory trigger myself. I gave this rifle to my son.

Yeah...I've got a dime too! They all would have been under the dime if it had not been for that flyer. Like I said, I saw it tumbling through the scope, so I am not taking the blame for that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_694.jpg (470.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-12-2019, 09:30 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I did not say it was Eley Prime. I said that other lots I have fired had that Eley Prime smell. Very distinktive smell. Pun intended.
You said your new lot of SK didn't have the "that weird Eley Prime smell when you shoot it. They must have changed it." I took your words to mean that you thought your new lot of SK no longer smelled like Eley, while other lots of SK you shot had that Eley Prime smell.

I said that SK was not associated with Eley. Perhaps I should also have added that SK ammo has never had the scent of Eley, but I didn't think it was necessary.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:00 PM
flatlander
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Personally, I've never bought or shot any of the Std Magazine ammo, only Std+. There's a definite difference in the way a Eley discharge smells compared to that of any of the SK or Lapua I've ever shot. How much of that is due to the different type of bullet lube, and how much (if any) is due to the priming compound & powder, I don't know. It's been several years since I shot any Aguila Super Extra, which is advertised as having "Eley prime system", and so I don't recall what it smells like when fired. Will have to rummage through the dregs of my .22RF cache to see if I've still got a box or three of it to test-fire...
Old 09-13-2019, 08:21 AM
Watsky
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For a minute there I thought the SK was going to do the trick for me.
Oh but I was wrong.
Went back to the CCI SV which seemed more consistent .
Old 09-13-2019, 08:50 AM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsky View Post
For a minute there I thought the SK was going to do the trick for me.
Oh but I was wrong.
Went back to the CCI SV which seemed more consistent .
During the "dry spell" I bought every brick of it I saw because of how well the first brick shot out of my 452 Varmint. I wish I had a case of that lot, but instead I have multiple bricks from different lots.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:17 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Yeah...I've got a dime too! They all would have been under the dime if it had not been for that flyer. Like I said, I saw it tumbling through the scope, so I am not taking the blame for that one.
The dime gives scale to your group that it lacked before. Not a bad group except for the flier. Unfortunately, you can't take a Mulligan in a match and that flier would likely have cost you a match. It would have against the guys I shoot with.

The last ten boxes of Center-X that I ordered had three boxes from one lot and seven from another. (Won't order from that company again) The three boxes weren't doing as well as I thought they should have so I took the last 45 cartridges from that lot and weighed them. I came up with 29 that weighed between 51.58 & 51.68 grains. Another 15 weighed 51.90 ~ 51.98 and one was 49. something. With more than .3 grains difference, I think that explains the inconsistency of my shots. They weren't terrible but X's were hard to score.

Then I weighed one box of the seven boxes. They all weighed between 51.80 &n 51.88 grains. Less than .1 grain difference in all 50. I expect them to do much better.

Center-X is about twice the price of SK Standard Plus but can still vary in consistency between lots.