Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:20 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not Happy With This Lot of SK Standard +

10-shots at 50 yards off of a rest. There seems to be a lot of vertical dispersion. The lateral I will take the blame for, but the velocity just does not appear to be consistent. The obvious flyer I could see tumbling toward the target through the scope. It is a Lilja barrel. My bone stock 452 Varmint shoots better than this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_691.jpg (468.8 KB, 80 views)
Old 09-09-2019, 01:49 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
SK Standard Plus, like so many cartridges in that general price range, seem to vary according to lot. Some shoot lights out and some shoot like those on your target. I've had the same experience with Wolf MT, CCI Standard Velocity and others. My current lot of Center-X has more fliers than previous lots.

If you're lucky enough to find a lot that is consistent, try to buy as much of it as you possibly can.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:06 AM
flatlander
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Early this summer, I got samples of five lots of Std+ to test, and put them through a Krieger bbl I'd chambered & fitted to a V-22 action. They all five shot pretty fair; in fact, it was a little tough to figure out which lot was actually the best. I shot another series of 10-shot groups at 50yds with all five lots, and finally settled on the one I felt was best. Bought a case of that lot, and have been very pleased with the way it has performed in all five of the custom-barreled rifles I shoot regularly. Hope finding a lot of Std+ as good as this one isn't a fluke...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 08:30 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Every new lot is a mystery until it proves itself in your gun(s). You simply cannot assume it will be like the last good lot. Aggravating when shooting for our own gratification but a likely disaster in even a casual match.
It is imperative to give each cartridge a visual for obvious, though often subtle, defects if doing serious shooting. The internal defects we have no control over (but 'trust us' say the companies, we put 'match' on the box!).
Old 09-09-2019, 09:32 AM
DWS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
weighing ammo

Competition match shooters using 22 rf ammo often sort ammo by weight. I do that with 22 shorts because the match grade is not available any more. In a random box of 100 cci I find a +/- variation of nearly a grain and a half, or slightly more, in the cartridge weight.
If sorted out they pretty well fall into a standard bell-curve. We generally assume that the bullet and case are probably more likely to be QC standardized. The largest variables assumed to be are in the powder and or primer charges.

Sorting 5 boxes into .2 gr increments takes time but it pays off. I save the larger number in the center of the curve back into boxes marked with weight. then the others into boxes noting their weight + or -. Shooting boxes using the ones with close to the middle variable works best and I'd reserve them for matches. I Use the odds and ends on the extremes just shooting into the dirt to warm up the barrel. {warming barrels and barrel lube coating is a whole 'nother topic.}
In a heavy benchrest 22 rifle--based on a ruger #1 action---I have noted a one or two MOS vertical dispersion between the extremes.

{Some of the more anal competitors have gauges that measure rim thickness as an extra step----with the idea that rim thickness variations effects ignition-----and they swear by it----but I'm not yet that far down the rabbit hole)

Last edited by DWS; 09-09-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:11 AM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If Std + was match grade ammo you would have to pay more than 5 cents a piece. They would put it in the other box for 15 or 20 cents each. It's still great low priced ammo.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:48 AM
armtx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
10-shots at 50 yards off of a rest. There seems to be a lot of vertical dispersion. The lateral I will take the blame for, but the velocity just does not appear to be consistent. The obvious flyer I could see tumbling toward the target through the scope. It is a Lilja barrel. My bone stock 452 Varmint shoots better than this.
Outside of that flyer at about 5 oclock...I dont see an issue. You are paying $5-6 dollar for 50...Lapua makes stuff in $10-15 range, that will cure that vertical stringing.
With that being said, you know this stuff varies, lot to lot. It begs the question: WHY are you upset about it?
Old 09-09-2019, 07:44 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armtx View Post
Outside of that flyer at about 5 oclock...I dont see an issue. You are paying $5-6 dollar for 50...Lapua makes stuff in $10-15 range, that will cure that vertical stringing.
With that being said, you know this stuff varies, lot to lot. It begs the question: WHY are you upset about it?
Well...I said "disappointed" not "upset" but I concede your point. The flyer was interesting. I actually saw it tumbling through the scope and it almost keyholed on the target. Maybe I will get some Center-X and see how it does. BTW, the rifle is not a CZ. It is a Kidd 10/22 with a Lilja barrel. I posted here because the folks on the 10/22 forum would probably be impressed with that group, but I know the CZ crowd is a bit more discerning.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:09 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Did the poi tend to go up shot after shot?
Old 09-09-2019, 10:31 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
stuff can even vary from day to day with atmospheric conditions. so you might want to keep it around and try it on a different day.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:51 PM
jdc1244

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
Well...I said "disappointed" not "upset" but I concede your point. The flyer was interesting. I actually saw it tumbling through the scope and it almost keyholed on the target. Maybe I will get some Center-X and see how it does. BTW, the rifle is not a CZ. It is a Kidd 10/22 with a Lilja barrel. I posted here because the folks on the 10/22 forum would probably be impressed with that group, but I know the CZ crowd is a bit more discerning.
True.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:22 AM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The SK Standard Plus I tried you could hear the difference in ignition in what they call inconsistent ignition. The rounds that sounded light would hit off from others. I finally gave up on it and never have bought any more. I have way better luck with SK Pistol Match.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:45 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Not surprised. SK Standard+ is just one step above SK Magazine.
It's the cartridges that weren't good enough to be labeled "Match".
Use it at 25 yards it'll be adequate, at 50 yards it just isn't as consistent as the better grades.
That's why it's cheaper.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:33 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Now that I know your group was shot with a 10/22, I'll show what my own put-together 10/22 did with a good lot of CCI SV cartridges. This was with a 3~9X scope too.

A different lot of CCI could be completely different as my subsequent experience proved.

Ruger 10/22 action, Green Mountain barrel, Boyd's laminated stock. I reworked the factory trigger myself. I gave this rifle to my son.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:10 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I am pretty sure I have had very few lots of SK magazine, but I do remember quite a few lots of SK std + i couldnt get to shoot past 25y to save my life.