Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:43 AM
chetc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
aftermarket recievers

i may build a 10 22 from scratch, for starters, i don't seem to see any recievers with a rear tang for 2 screw mounting. did i miss them

chet
Old 09-07-2019, 07:30 AM
Andrew22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You will want to look up Kidd recievers as they have an option for a rear tang. There may be another but I can't think of it right now.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2019, 08:03 AM
RCP Phx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MOA is the only other one I know of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 08:04 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
CST makes a very nice receiver with a rear tang.

http://cstmtech.com/shop/
Old 09-07-2019, 04:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Someone please tell me what a rear anchor point is really worth to the average to above average shooter that is willing to add a short section of bedding under the barrel just forward of the V-block?? It's probably a no-brainer if you are using a stock that comes ready to accept the rear hold down even if it really doesn't do much but to to me inletting to accept something that IMO is overkill has to be questioned. Very accurate 10/22s were built long before the rear hold down existed. I think it falls into the same category as a properly adjusted barrel tuner.. Very few of us will gain any benefit from it.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:30 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
MOA was made out of cast stainless steel. I have two of them and have never used the rear lug. I’m sure it may make a small improvement but you would have to be much better than me to tell the difference.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
MOA was made out of cast stainless steel. I have two of them and have never used the rear lug. I’m sure it may make a small improvement but you would have to be much better than me to tell the difference.
This response coming from a man with 28K post here I don't feel to bad about questioning the advantage of the system.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:49 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
It may not make a significant difference (especially if you properly bed your 10/22) but I still like the piece of mind of having 2 anchor points instead of 1. I have plenty of very accurate 10/22's that don't use a rear tang also. So while I think it's a great option to have I'm not going to go out of my way to inlet a stock for one that doesn't already have it done.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:24 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
This response coming from a man with 28K post here I don't feel to bad about questioning the advantage of the system.
We did some testing on the Ruger Custom Shop guns when they were the hot new item. There is a little data on the Stock Gun forum in the Custom Shop thread.

Personally I'm not sold on it, shooters were getting fantastic groups on bench guns prior to the tang, but some felt it produced results. I haven't seen enough data to confirm or refute its efficacy so links to threads with good testing are always helpful. I won't rail against it, I just hate to see people accept something only because others have, without proof that it actually produces better results.

Last edited by Bigbore; 09-08-2019 at 03:47 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:02 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Those super accurate Joe Chacon builds do not have rear tangs.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:24 AM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick67 View Post
Those super accurate Joe Chacon builds do not have rear tangs.
Nope. Mine don't either. It is the most accurate 10/22 I have.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:06 AM
wonshott

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
in my case a rear tang took my average 50 yard group from 5/8 inch to 3/8 inch. that is a huge performance increase. but in my case i am using a hogue overmolded plastic stock. originally i bedded 3 inches of barrel then stiffened the forend, then bedded the bottom rear of the reciever. i was never happy with it until installed a rear tang. my guess is a stiffer stock may not benefit as much. still, if your starting from scratch id go with a rear tang.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:36 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I didn’t use the rear lug on the MOA receivers mainly because they wouldn’t work with the Boyd’s stocks I was using. The Boyd’s stocks had more of a pistol grip than a regular grip which didn’t allow for me to drill the screw hole.

Using the rear lug certainly wouldn’t hurt anything.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:00 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonshott View Post
in my case a rear tang took my average 50 yard group from 5/8 inch to 3/8 inch. that is a huge performance increase. but in my case i am using a hogue overmolded plastic stock. originally i bedded 3 inches of barrel then stiffened the forend, then bedded the bottom rear of the reciever. i was never happy with it until installed a rear tang. my guess is a stiffer stock may not benefit as much. still, if your starting from scratch id go with a rear tang.
it’s not just your Hogue stock, although I have found that every synthetic stock that I’ve bedded- 10-22, CZ, Remington 700- ALL improved substantially with bedding.

I’ve built many 10-22 customs and for the last 5 years, ALL of them have had Kidd rear tangs. I didn’t used to- I bedded quite a few with only a pillar, receiver and some degree of barrel bedding. I started adding rear tangs because its a far superior way to counter the teeter-totter forces inherent to the original Ruger design once the barrel band was removed. Every rifle that I’ve built with a second hold down HAS improved in accuracy and consistent performance over time. Admittedly, some only improve a little, but more often than not, the gains are noticeably significant.
My rifles’ results speak for themselves, just check the leaderboards in the Ultimate 10-22 shooting games. The original Ruger design was not intended to support the heavy bull barrels that we free float today.

Is a rear tang necessary to build an accurate 10-22 rifle? NO! Many people have proven just the opposite. I believe MKnarr still holds the record on RFC for the smallest group @ 100 yards with a single screw rifle that was pillar & partially barrel [email protected] .319”, 5 shots.

Does it help create a much more solid action? Yes!
Adding a 2nd hold down, along with pillar bedding, results in a rifle that will MAINTAIN consistent accuracy over time through many disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly cycles.

I think we can all agree Tony Kidd knows what he’s doing. He designed his rifles with a second hold down for a reason.

To all those who have posted how a rear tang is “overkill has to be questioned” & “Very few of us will gain any benefit from it.”... I’ll ask- have you ever owned one with a rear hold down?

How many of your OTHER rifles have 2 screw mounting systems?
Would you REMOVE the rear action screw on any of them, squirt some JB weld under the barrel, and expect accuracy to IMPROVE?

Telling those who genuinely come here looking for accurate information that a modification HAS NO BENEFIT when YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH THE MOD is disingenuous, at the very least.

I often wonder if those who go around disparaging a rifle modification that they’ve never tried, do so because the mod itself is beyond their technical expertise or financial commitment to accuracy?

I know one thing for sure- the solid feel of a custom 10-22, Devcon bedded with rear tang and front pillar is an amazing thing. A free floated barrel on a rifle built that way hums like a tuning fork after each shot, which is music to my ears.

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 09-08-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:05 AM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKE1022 View Post
Nope. Mine don't either. It is the most accurate 10/22 I have.
Depends on the stock though.

TM stocks are extremely close tolerance, hence no need for that rear tang.

Joe Chacon said it himself as quoted by Tony Mele.