Restaurants that have crashed and burned? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:13 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Restaurants that have crashed and burned?

What restaurant do you wish still existed from your youth?

I miss burger chef and friendlys.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2019, 08:20 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
There was a dandy little place called 'EATS' down at the intersection. They had those crispy greasy burgers with toasted buns and the malts came with the extra 1/2 can to refill the glass. Must have been an old restaurant chain 'cause I still see one of the old 'EATS' signs now and then.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:02 PM
Jammer22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Friendly’s is alive & well in my part of the world!

Lum's
Royal Castle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 09:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bill Knapp’s , itwas the first restaurant I went to with linen table cloths and napkins. Chicken in a basket, biscuits and honey, salad with thousand island dressing. A real gem of a chain. Piece of chocolate cake on your birthday ! Started by a traveling salesman who was tiered of eating in crappy greasy spoons, expanded slowly, one restaurant at a time, so the food quality, service quality was exactly the same. Then he passed, some idiots took over and the rest was history.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:39 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gloria's....She was a sturdy no nonsense type woman with a heart of gold that owned a hole in the wall meat&taters kinda place the hoity toitys wouldn't be caught dead in. If you were short a few bucks she'd put it on you to remember what you owed. Lots of hippies and street people got sustenance of stomach soul by the generosity of a woman that once cooked in logging camps and knew how rough life could be for the downtrodden. She worked hard but was a funny woman with many true stories to those that would listen. RIP Gloria.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:50 PM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Harts Cafeteria
Uncle John's Pancake Houses
Pollardville
(Fried Chicken near Stockton, CA I'm not a fan of fried chicken but Pollardville was different)
Pam Pam East (incredible Steak Soup in San Francisco)
Omar Khyam's
Trader Vic's
Frank's Fabulous Franks (a hot dog food truck built on a battered 1930's Packard sedan)
Bamboo Garden (Chinese)
The Basque Hotel (Basque---amazing potato salad with shrimp and plenty of jug wine---Claret if memory serves me correctly)
The Silver Dollar Hofbrau--they made mighty fine sandwiches and plates, but I ate many broke college kid's dinner there for 75 cents (50 cent draft beer and a 25 cent hard boiled egg and all the salty pickles I wanted)
The Graduate---another college hang out served huge Grad Burgers
Custer's Last Sandwich Stand
Cafe Midi---I'd order out for a French Burger and go home to watch Patrick McGoohan in The Prisoner on TV. The burger was full of fillers but they were tasty fillers.
The Mexicatessen
Mary's Apple Pie Heaven
Rossi's Pizzaria---there are lots of really great pizzarias, but none like Rossi's
Cedar Lanes---Prime Rib
The Outpost---Prime Rib too!I like end cuts.

Last edited by Hovannes; 08-19-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:02 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Pop's Tavern - from my early 1970's youth ...

. . . it was built at the corner of a small town intersection about half a mile from where we lived. Run by a pair of retired brothers, it was a quiet bar by night and served awesome burgers during the day. During some summer days, my Brother and I would walk there and buy a pair of burger and soft drinks - all for slightly less than a $1. No such things as combos, they were so good.

Wasn't a loud bar by any means, it didn't even have a juke box. A pair of calandars on the wall, a cigarette machine by a back window, three tables, each with a pair of chairs and the long formica counter of approximately a dozen fixed stools along the edge. The entire room was about 15 feet wide by 20 feet long.

One of the brothers passed away and Pops no longer served burgers during the day. It did not last long - the remaining brother died soon after, likely loneliness.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:50 AM
Robzini

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Girves Brown Derby
Old 08-20-2019, 08:12 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Far too many to name.

Mom and pop restaurants live and die on the backs of the owners. I have seen far too many with booming businesses burn out and quit. One of my favorite ribs restaurants had that happen TWICE. The son took over the business and ran it but lost interest. They still did a land office business when they were open (2- lunches a week, no dinner, no weekends) and made a lot of money catering. Then - a daughter of one of the guys I worked with bought it and took it over. Sorted the menu back out, cleaned the place up, got some tables... Made regular hours including dinner and Saturdays. Business went up TEN fold in the first month.... She ran it for 2 years. Told me that I would not believe the money she made - mid 6-figures... She finally closed it because she was so burned out. Neither the food nor the service ever suffered - but she did.... The business after 2 years was probably 5 times what it was year 1. She went to work for a large high end restaurant in the next big city. She said the money was fantastic but had not had a day off in 2 years straight...

Chain restaurants often live and die by their regional/executive management and the metrics they use.

For example - around here they have trouble with being badly disorganized if they don't have first rate store managers and assistant managers. But the chains never want to develop, train, and pay managers....

Then they die....
Old 08-20-2019, 09:15 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer22 View Post
Friendly’s is alive & well in my part of the world!

Lum's
Royal Castle
Ditto! You must have grownup in Miami like me
Old 08-20-2019, 09:31 AM
jackkade

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bug Tussle Steak House.... in the middle of nowhere. A little hole in the wall place in North Al on Hwy 69. The owner raised his own beef and oversaw the slaughtering.
Best steaks i've ever had. On Saturdays when 'BAMA' played at home, the place was over run after the game. Then the old story, another woman, divorce and the business fell apart. It's long gone
Old 08-20-2019, 10:39 AM
natman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
In the 1970s in Mill Valley, CA, there was a tiny hole in the wall takeout place called Jon's Food to Go. He made burritos, tostadas and the like, but it was so good, always fresh and delicious. I ate a lot of meals there, but he finally retired. Another Mexican place took over the location and is still there, but it's not at all the same.

It's been gone for more than forty years and I still miss it.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:27 AM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Shakey's Pizza, the first pizza joint I was ever in. Just back in the States in 1964 after 4 years in the Far East, had never heard of pizza so my new room mate took me there , just a little ways out the gate of Hamilton AFB, CA. Fell in love with pizza right then, along with the stunningly lovely waitress who worked there. Stuck with pizza forever but never got anywhere with the lovely.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:34 AM
HectorFuego

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At the corner of 40 Hwy and Lee's Summit Road in Independence, MO was Stephenson's Apple Farm Restaurant. In my day it was run by twin brothers who inherited it from their father. Every cut of meat they served, whether it was beef, port or poultry, was done to perfection. Their fillet mignon was about 2 inches thick and so tender you could cut it with a ping pong paddle. All the sides they served were out of this world. The portions were huge, and if you left hungry there was something wrong with you. The apple fritters were life changing. I threatened, on many occasions, to just order a tub of those and eat myself into a coma.

Service was impeccable. Even the bartender was top notch.

Sadly, as the brothers got up in age so did the restaurant. Quality began to slip and much of the kitchen equipment needed to be replaced. There were no children willing to take over the business and no one wanted to invest the money to make the necessary upgrades, so the restaurant closed and the brothers sold the property.

It saddens me to see a QuikTrip on the corner where that once great restaurant used to stand.

Hector
Old 08-20-2019, 11:35 AM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
Shakey's Pizza, the first pizza joint I was ever in. Just back in the States in 1964 after 4 years in the Far East, had never heard of pizza so my new room mate took me there , just a little ways out the gate of Hamilton AFB, CA. Fell in love with pizza right then, along with the stunningly lovely waitress who worked there. Stuck with pizza forever but never got anywhere with the lovely.
There still is a Shakey's in Mammoth, CA. I recollect there being one in Hollywood as well.