Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:29 PM
Black_Talon
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Gluing a Lilja barrel into a CZ457 - Question

Got me a gallon of Loctite 609 and need to do something with it so I've decided to glue my Lilja barrel into my CZ457.

I'm planning on clamping the barrel, muzzle down, level and square in a bench vice and placing the action on top of it while the Loctite sets up. Would it help/hurt/not matter if I was to install the grub screws and just barely tighten them down enough to keep the barrel "in place" while the glue is setting up?

On the face of it, it seems like it would be beneficial to 1) pull the barrel up snug against the shoulder of the receiver, and 2) keep the barrel aligned axially.

Any input?

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2019, 11:40 PM
tothemax

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Talon View Post

On the face of it, it seems like it would be beneficial to 1) pull the barrel up snug against the shoulder of the receiver, and 2) keep the barrel aligned axially.

Any input?

Thanks!
I am no expert by any stretch but this is precisely how I did it on mine... I used the grub screws to hold it in place and get it tight ...all the way in against the shims ... so I get the exact headspace I had before ..

A few days after, I backed out them a little

It shoots amazing
Old 07-19-2019, 11:47 PM
flatlander

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of the reasons I didn't cut the grub screw seats in the Shilen bbls that I fitted & chambered for my 457s was that I felt taking that big a cut out of the chamber area of the shank wasn't going to help the concentricity of the chamber any. I turned that shank dia large enough so that it took some rotation by hand to get it to seat fully into the action's bbl socket, which is a good way to distribute the #609 over both the shank & bbl socket. After I'd gotten it seated inside the action, I set the action up in the 4-jaw chuck of the lathe with a section of leather belt wrapped around the action to protect it from the jaws, and with a thread protector on the muzzle, pushed the tailstock up against the muzzle, then turned the tailstock quill out just enough to put a little pressure on the muzzle to insure that the bbl shoulder was up against the action face. Left it sit overnight, and by morning, the assembly was pretty much one solid piece of steel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 06:47 AM
A-Rob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I did Keystone barrel a little differently. I stood the barrel up, muzzle down, on the floor (with paper under the muzzle just because I'm OCD about things) then set the stripped receiver on top so it naturally had full contact all the way around. I then left it alone to cure for 24 hours. Right or wrong, my thought was that this would impart no stress into the equation. That could be bunk, but I know that when bedding a rifle, the goal is to avoid creating any stress points. Anyway, the thing is an absolute hammer, as I've posted before. My method might have been pure nonsense, but it certainly didn't hurt and it was dead simple.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:41 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's the way I did my Lilja .22 WMR barrel on my 455 and Lilja .22 LR barrel on my Kidd/22. I bought the little single use packs off Amazon. With a gallon you should be able to do about a million rifles. After the 609 set, I took the grub screws out, put some blue Loctite on them, and screwed them in until they just made contact with the barrel. You probably already know this, but leave the bolt out when gluing the barrel but keep the bolt guide in place as it indexes with the flat on the bottom of the barrel to make sure the extractor grooves are timed.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:50 AM
homersapien

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also used the grub screws while it was drying. I put 10 in/lbs on them just to make sure the barrel didnt move.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:11 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A gallon sounds like a little much.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:11 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
A gallon sounds like a little much.

One of these is more than enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-442-6...gateway&sr=8-5
Old 07-20-2019, 05:58 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
A gallon should get it done. Lol

I actually think some of you are making a little much of this. If you put the barrel in a vice or chucked in your lathe then rotate the action as you are putting it on the barrel shank until you get it most of the way on the loctite will be distributed. If the shank is a snug fit the action should not droop at all, biggest thing is make sure you are setting your headspace properly and extractor slots aligned. I don't use pins, grub screws etc. and no problems. I'm not saying it is wrong, just unnecessary.