Colt getting out of the rifle market - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:18 AM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
They didnít have to do a press release at all.
Just quit making them...
Then Colt would have been accused of a cover up, as well.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:39 AM
404tbang
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Sophia, I doubt I can find it again, but it ties in to something briefly mentioned in this release that you have posted.

On another website, someone posted a link with information that Colt's civilian production has over 100 days of inventory. This is a business decision to send production to where sales are, and the sales are apparently to the military. I am an autoworker. We don't keep producing a product if we get over 100 days of inventory. We adjust production well before hitting that point. Each industry varies in how much inventory they keep in a supply line before adjusting production. I don't have a way of knowing what that is for the firearms industry. But 100 days production is a lot to have in the pipeline. From what I gathered on different links from that site, Colt did not rule out getting back in the civilian market.

As you have accurately pointed out, and as Colt pointed out in the link you posted, there is a lot of AR production by a lot of makers right now. This wasn't a political decision by Colt. Unless I have missed something along the way.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:13 AM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
If this was a ďBusiness DecisionĒ by Colt, it was the poorest timing that they could have possibly picked.

Saying you arenít making rifles for the civilian market while presidential candidates are asking for buy backs and confiscation of semi auto sporting rifles is sending a strong message, no matter what their press release says. My guess is that they are trying to suck up for government contracts because they canít compete in the civilian market.

Colt hasnít been very competitive in the civilian market for years. That includes long guns and handguns.

I go back to what I said earlier, they didnít have to say anything.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:36 AM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
If this was a ďBusiness DecisionĒ by Colt, it was the poorest timing that they could have possibly picked.

Saying you arenít making rifles for the civilian market while presidential candidates are asking for buy backs and confiscation of semi auto sporting rifles is sending a strong message, no matter what their press release says. My guess is that they are trying to suck up for government contracts because they canít compete in the civilian market.

Colt hasnít been very competitive in the civilian market for years. That includes long guns and handguns.

I go back to what I said earlier, they didnít have to say anything.
< emphasis added above >

Which I think admirably demonstrates that this is a VERY sound business decision...

Old 09-21-2019, 09:13 AM
98_1LE
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
When was the last time any of us bought a new Colt? I never have. I have owned a couple, but they came from the second hand market. They haven't made anything that appealed to me.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
If this was a “Business Decision” by Colt, it was the poorest timing that they could have possibly picked.
Yeah, they should have waited until they totally tanked and were on the verge of bankruptcy again.

Quote:
I go back to what I said earlier, they didn’t have to say anything.
The news release is dated 19 September. It is not an announcement of their decision but is a reaction to all the hand wringing over their decision, news of which became public through word of mouth, not an announcement. I don't know when the decision was made but it was obviously before the publication of the articles that prompted the announcement.

Well played, lessisbest.

Last edited by Sophia; 09-21-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:31 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
I don't know when the decision was made.....
Found it... or at least part of it. Colt informed their distributors of the decision on 10 September. Obviously the decision was made before that date.

The announcement to their distributors said, literally, they are getting out of the civilian market for long guns to focus on regaining government contracts.

I know that's not going to satisfy folks that see conspiracies by unseen dark forces behind every event but there it is. Go ahead and call them liars.

I still say "well played, lessisbest."

Last edited by Sophia; 09-21-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:44 AM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
There is no question the market for AR's has been flooded with product for a while now. Colt has always been one of the more expensive models in this market, with very few options available to justify that cost besides their name on the side of the action.
On top of that, Colt has always had their foot in the door of military contracts which probably made it difficult to keep up with manufacturing to both markets at the same time.

Between marketing to the civilian market with increasing competition and decreasing profits and manufacturing difficulties marketing to two markets, this is a simple business decision on Colt's part IMO. Probably a pretty smart move also, considering they probably weren't returning much value to their shareholders in this market...

Definitely not a political move regardless of the timing- in fact with Orourke's announcement that he would "come get your AR's" , the market for AR's has been hot lately....

Bob
Old 09-21-2019, 12:04 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I almost bought a Colt a few times back when Walmart was still selling them. Times must have been lean for Colt back then.

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:23 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
"When was the last time any of us bought a new Colt?"

December, 2017

Old 09-21-2019, 04:25 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_1LE View Post
When was the last time any of us bought a new Colt?
Given the topic, a better question might be "who owns an AR-patterned rifle made by Colt."

I have two firearms made by Colt -- a 1911 pistol made in 1968 that I inherited and a Police Positive revolver chambered for 38 S&W that, if memory serves, was made in the teens.

Last edited by Sophia; 09-21-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:32 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Given the topic, a better question might be "who owns an AR-patterned rifle made by Colt."

I have two firearms made by Colt -- a 1911 pistol made in 1968 that I inherited and a Police Positive revolver chambered for 38 S&W that, if memory serves, was made in the teens.
I have one - a Police Positive in 32 "New Police" (otherwise known as 32 S&W Long) made in 1919 from one source, and delivered to the Winchester Store in Providence RI in 1922 according to the Colt letter. It is a little gem, and now only gets 32 Wadcutters used in it, since they are but mouse-farts.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:44 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
I have one - a Police Positive in 32 "New Police" (otherwise known as 32 S&W Long) made in 1919 from one source, and delivered to the Winchester Store in Providence RI in 1922 according to the Colt letter. It is a little gem, and now only gets 32 Wadcutters used in it, since they are but mouse-farts.
I'll have to do a SN lookup to remind me of the date. Probably ought to hang a tag on it this time. Got ammo for it but have never fired it.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:08 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I'll have to do a SN lookup to remind me of the date. Probably ought to hang a tag on it this time. Got ammo for it but have never fired it.

You've shown me yours, only fair if I show you mine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _SCB2664_resize.jpg (130.4 KB, 5 views)

Old 09-21-2019, 05:19 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
You've shown me yours, only fair if I show you mine...
Much better photo. Grip panels very different, as is the escutcheon.

I'm shocked -- shocked, I say -- to see I have no photo of my nekkid 1911 loaded anywhere. Best I can do without some digging or a photo session is a holstered view. It's actually a Gold Cup (NM) that I put away once I became aware of their current value. A Kimber took its place in regular use.

Last edited by Sophia; 09-21-2019 at 05:42 PM.