Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:00 AM
Racer X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
Looking for a Remington 1858 repro to shoot

I have an original, a family heirloom that was carried by my great great grandfather, but I want a shooter.

Of the various current, new repros and likely older used repros, which are good all around shooters?

What to look for?
Old 09-18-2019, 05:54 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would get an Uberti. I really like the quality and reputation of this company. They first got my attention back when colt used them to manufacture their rebranded colt cap and ball revolvers. I have been paying attention ever since.

I would get the Uberti and not even shop around. I realize you are not me, so; this is just one recommendation for you to think about.

I would stay away from Pedersoli for any repro unless they were a sole source. That company is way over rated. I have been sorry a couple times. I dont know if they offer this. I would not bother to look. Bad springs, lack authentic details, just so-so guns for high prices. No parts, or super expensive parts which you should not need on a modern gun with little use. Not for a long time.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:29 AM
judgejohnmd
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a Pietta 1858 Remington from Taylor in West Virginia: very nice fit & finish; smooth trigger; bought xtra cylinder for shooting more rounds at one sitting without reloading. Their quality of today is much better than years past.
Cabelas also has about the best prices, I think; but like dealing with Taylors; great people to talk to; will listen to what you want and accommodate your needs.
John in MD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 09:54 PM
Racer X

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
note to self, look into pietta and uberti. thanks.

I have the full Remington kit. bullet mold, powder flask, a few 19th century cast balls, and some sketchy black powder in a sealed glass jar. NOT going to open it. My father's mom shot it growing up, and kept it loaded as the house pistol when grand dad was at work as Sheriff.

Now if I can just track down the family Brown Bess.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:51 PM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I would get an Uberti. I really like the quality and reputation of this company. They first got my attention back when colt used them to manufacture their rebranded colt cap and ball revolvers. I have been paying attention ever since.

I would get the Uberti and not even shop around. I realize you are not me, so; this is just one recommendation for you to think about.

I would stay away from Pedersoli for any repro unless they were a sole source. That company is way over rated. I have been sorry a couple times. I dont know if they offer this. I would not bother to look. Bad springs, lack authentic details, just so-so guns for high prices. No parts, or super expensive parts which you should not need on a modern gun with little use. Not for a long time.
My experience with Pedersoli is not like yours, I have two flintlocks, a Sharps, a Trapdoor, and a Rolling Block, all very well made and finished, all shoot just fine. I have quite a few Ubertis, they are also very good, as are a couple of Piettas.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:51 PM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bought a Pietta from cabelas in the late 90s under $150!
It was like they didnt finish fitting the mechanical parts, but some TLC on my part, made a good revolver. I made grips and a box for it.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:34 PM
6PtStar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my opinion Uberti used to be better but Pietta has gotten better and Uberti seems to have back slid a bit. If I were in the market now I would buy Pietta.