Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:37 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Weatherby XXII What to Look For

I'm thinking I'll end up with a Weatherby XXII .22 (semi or bolt - I know bolt is more rare) some day. I remember when I couldn't afford them new (I'm 65). I've been looking at them on GB, GI, and other sites. I saw one in the Classifieds here a week ago but it is gone. I'm drawn to the beautiful stocks, detail on the pistol grip, skip checkering, fore end tip, ...well just the Weatherby look.

As I watch them on those sites I mentioned, they seem to sit and sit at $1200+ no matter how nice they are (I especially like a NIB one on GI now). I don't need to pay a premium for NIB because it will be shot within hours of me getting it.

Any advice on what to avoid? I won't buy a beater and I hate to get one that someone else has proven not to be a shooter (I know, that's highly subjective). I'm not a target shooter or competitor just a squirrel hunter.

If I pass on a Weatherby XXII I'll just save a bit longer for an Anschultz 1712 Silhouette.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:10 PM
sach7581
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check Armslist. I sold a nice one for $550 a few months ago. Probably too cheap but it happens. I would go for a tube fed one because magazines are expensive.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:14 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks.
I went there just before seeing this reply in my e-mail. There are some there for less than the auction sites. The one in Denver is interesting. I didn't know what that rear sight was but saw on a youtube video that it is a flip up leaf of two different heights. Thanks for the tube vs mag advice too. That's what I'm looking for here, tips. I can't stand magazines that aren't flush so the 10-15 shot ones are of no interest to me but I know I could buy a 5-shot if I found the right rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 09:58 PM
alro41
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Be patient, those that are listed on GB at $1000 plus aren't selling. I sold the one in the Trading Post here last week and priced it to sell. Must have been too low because it sold before I could even log out. Anyway, I don't think the magazines are all that expensive, especially for a discontinued model. $50 or so on ebay. Heck CZ mags are $35 +. If you find a gun I've still got a couple of mags, but like I said, readily available on ebay. And they are very accurate. Only semi that I've owned that out shot the Weatherby was a TC Classic which I also recently sold. Not near a pretty as the Weatherby tho and almost twice as heavy but also about half the cost.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:33 AM
theriddler1977

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm a fan of the xxii Weatherby and own I of myself. What to look for? There are a few differences while they were produced, some things to consider...
Mag or tube fed
What color stock do you prefer
What country of manufacture would you prefer

My father's was made in Italy and has the "fancy" stock with a mag and medium stained stock, mine is tube fed and made in Japan and blonde stock. They're both excellent, it's just comes down to preference.

The very early ones had the plainer looking stock and was made by Beretta in Italy, excellent gun but I'm partial to the ones with the rosewood trim myself.

The bolt action xxii is a beauty as well but they're hard to find and pricey when you do. I remember seeing these for sale when they came out, sure wish I could have snatched one or two up then!
Old 03-30-2019, 06:29 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
To the OP you mentioned a 1712 save your money and pursue the 1712! The accuracy and trigger will make you smile! I smiled after i shot my 1712 the first time at the rifle range. Some of those weatherby semi autos are pretty tho! I find since I have a couple of Anschutz rifles to shoot the 2 weatherby rifles I have do not get shot anymore.As always JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:06 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My advice on buying one is to ask the seller for target results, either factory (for the bolt) or their targets (for either). I bought my XXII bolt new when it first came out, and while I still can't match the factory test target, it is still my best shooting 22LR. Although on any given day my CZ 452 American gives it a run for it's money. Can't hold a candle to the Weatherby on design, trigger, and looks though. I too am somewhat amazed at what people want for one of the bolt action XXII rifles. Stunned, sometimes.

I found a used Italian-made plain stock XXII semi-auto in very good condition a few years ago. It has a great design, slick single-shot or semi-auto selector switch, folding rear leaf sight, and had the factory 5 round mag. However, it was not a stellar shooter, averaging 0.9" groups with CCI SV at 50 yards, and 1.2" groups with several other popular brands of mid-grade ammo. Disappointing, and just about my worst shooting 22LR. Maybe that's why it sat on the used gun rack for so long. But it was, for a Weatherby Mark XXII, cheap at $325. Other folks report excellent shooting XXII semi-autos, and I don't doubt them, but mine isn't one of those. Mags for those guns are pricey. By comparison, you can get a Savage mag that will work in the bolt XXII, it just won't have that fancy "W" scroll on the base plate.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:47 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question
You mentioned a Savage magazine that will fit in the bolt version. Is there a Savage magazine that will fit in the semi(5 shot) ? Looking for a cheaper alternative.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:14 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post
Question
You mentioned a Savage magazine that will fit in the bolt version. Is there a Savage magazine that will fit in the semi(5 shot) ? Looking for a cheaper alternative.
Not that I know of. In looking at several of the magazine threads in this forum, I don't remember hearing about one.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:45 AM
fwood
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had one of the semi autos many years ago. A beautiful rifle with the rosewood trim. Great trigger and so good feeling in the hands but it was a terrible shooter. I was so disappointed with missing so many squirrels. I tried everything I could to get it to shoot but failed. I sold it but have always regretted it as it was possibly the most beautiful 22 I've ever owned, shooter or not.
Good luck with your quest.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:23 PM
killerv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
These are standup guys. Local shop I've been buying from for years, I have to stay on top of their gunbroker site though in case they post something cool I can go grab before a bid gets put on it.

Anyway, a xxii but with the mag.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/808564442
Old 09-17-2019, 07:03 PM
drjjpdc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the german bolt action. It shoots .22's into dimes. save your money and get this one. forget the italian one or the semi-auto. Just my 2 cents.

John
Old 09-17-2019, 07:51 PM
Bullet Bob
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I too would go with the bolt, although those tube-fed semi-autos are the best looking of the breed. I bought one in the early 70's, and tried again in the 90's. Both were terribly unreliable, although I have read articles by writers I respect, like John Lachuk, who have nothing but great things to say about them.

Maybe I just wasn't lucky. Both were worked on by respected gunsmiths, but no love.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:24 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I guess I'm the lucky one. I have owned 3 of the deluxe model and 1 plains stock, all have shot very well. I have had bad magazines that made jamomatics but after a little tuning they work also. I also like short magazines, 5 rounds is just fine but my next one will definately be a tube fed for squirrel hunting. I personally love the Deluxe models, here is a picture of the last one I bought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180120_154218_HDR.jpg (618.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-20-2019, 06:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Weatherby XXII on GB

The rifle that was referenced above has been re-listed GB # 822192751.