Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:09 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sportsman's Paradise

I've been grousing about getting out of California for some time now. Got to stay here a few more years working towards 20 for retirement but have been researching places with the following things in mind.
1. Gun friendly politics.
2. Cheaper real estate than California.
3. Low Crime, good schools and universities, many churches that make for solid upstanding citizens, stable economy for the working class.
4. Solid Republican Control or at least very conservative.
5. Good health care in the region, I am getting older after all.
6. A nice gun club nearby or cheap land I can buy to shoot.
7. Stable population, with slow or no growth.
8. Some services nearby like a good grocery store or small mall Some towns are 100 miles from the nearest Walmart, Target or mall. However, a thriving local business community with reliable supply chain that charges fair prices would be fine. Who needs home depot if you have a well run local hardware store owned by a neighbor.
9. Good hunting and fishing opportunities.
10. Tolerable weather for a guy who has rarely seen snow

So what states and towns would you suggest? I'm not against living where there is some snow but I may work more years in education after moving so it's got to be manageable in the mornings to drive to work.

I am leaning away from the deep blue states so Oregon and Washington as beautiful as they may be are off my list. Idaho is a hot destination from California these days... which doesn't bode well for the future of the state.... Wyoming has plenty of cheap land but I hear communities are pretty isolated in the winter with all that snow and the water tastes like fracking. Montana has some wonderful looking places in the West, but crime is high in a lot of places, unemployment numbers don't look very promising and politics are on the fence. Nevada... Reno is over priced from the outflow of California, Las Vegas too hot and I don't need to be 100 miles from a nuclear test site in the middle of BFN. Utah looks interesting but I understand heavy metal poisoning happens there too... probably from all the Nevada testing fallout. New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, not trending in the right direction. So I see lots of places in Tornado alley...Nebraska, the Dakotas, Ohio, Missouri etc, etc. that look interesting with lots of cheap property. Could I tolerate the winters? How cold does it get? How high the snow? How is the summer weather? I don't want to be in a place that's freezing cold and then hot and humid with few pleasant days in between. Highs in the 80s and 90s in summer would be fine but not 110! Lows in the 20s and 30s most of winter would probably be ok as long as houses are insulated, wood piles are tall and roads are clear with little to shovel around the house.

Last edited by rc.; 09-07-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:37 PM
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go east young man! I'd consider places like Tenn., SC and NC. Personally, I am contemplating western NC. Moderate weather is a big plus.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:58 PM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have 5 wooded arces in East Central Ohio but the 20 degree thing blows me out of the frozen water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 02:01 PM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It does come with a 50 and 100 yd shooting bench but you can't get mittens in the trigger guard.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:01 PM
Revvv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
Go east young man! I'd consider places like Tenn., SC and NC. Personally, I am contemplating western NC. Moderate weather is a big plus.
Shhhhh, don't tell him that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2019, 02:14 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Every place in this country has it's drawbacks. You just got to make up your mind what you are willing to put up with.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:51 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Shhhhh, don't tell him that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sorry, you're right.......NC is horrible! don't do it!
Old 09-07-2019, 04:26 PM
lasttombstone

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I would never say bad things about good people just because of where they live so if someone from California wants to move to NC, good for them. As long as they don't try to make it another California, which is what is happening to NC currently. I've live here 73 years and it is nothing like what it was and will never be again. If you can get in the right area and buy enough land to isolate yourself and don't watch the news you will be OK. And BTW, certain areas of western NC are becoming hard to distinguish from the major urban areas of the north in their political trends due mainly to the retirees heading this way. As Joe Friday said, just the facts mam.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:42 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've lived in CO, IN, KS, MO, and have settled here in KY.

I fear politics are ruining Colorado, but if it weren't for wanting to be near my grand children, I'd go west.

I don't like high humidity. KY is as far south in the SE as I can go.

I think Lincoln, NE is a very nice place. Northern Missouri isn't bad either.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:04 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Our horrible drinking water and winter total isolation from the civilized world will mean you will be completely miserable here in Wyoming. Whoever told you those things was only touching tip of the iceberg, all truth.

Besides, all the cheap land here has been bought up by rich Californians who are busy turning Wyoming into California.

You are about 20 years too late.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:11 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't even consider New Mexico. Politics is killing us.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:17 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My uncle moved to MO because his ret. $$ went far. He came up north every summer to dodge the heat and chiggers. Boy he hated chiggers!!
Old 09-07-2019, 09:38 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Southern Indiana. Red state with a surplus. Lifetime carry permit. Rolling hills, water , French Lick! Just enough winter. And the nicest happiest people Iíve ever met!
Old 09-07-2019, 10:39 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have wants/needs similar to yours. I'm in SoCal, about 1/4 mile from the beach. Lived in the area my entire life. It will be hard to leave but now nearing retirement, I won't be able to afford much fun here on a lower income. Sold my house last year and after much research, I've settled on buying a place in or around Prescott AZ.

Doesn't check all of your boxes, but pretty close (?)

I may also buy a small condo near where I live now and let my Son rent it from me. It's only a seven hour drive back here from AZ if I want to visit.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:12 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For those of us in California, the environment is toxic for conservatives. I've lived through the great demographic shift where sleepy towns where everybody knew everybody have grown into sprawling cities where you barely know your neighbor. I was in Palo Alto recently to visit someone at Stanford whose time is short. I had to stop for some flowers so I went to the mall. I couldn't hardly make a turn without scads of people in the way. Parking.... good luck. I saw the golden arches.... OK, something quick to eat. Oh, inflated prices, cramped seating, nobody in the place speaking English. If I wanted to visit a foreign country, it would feel no different. But sadly the entire state is becoming this way. In my grandfather's time, pigeon, dove, rabbit, pheasant and duck blessed the table frequently. Now if you were to go pheasant hunting, you better hope they planted enough birds and you have to pay a lot for the opportunity to hunt them. My buddy buys deer tags, never gets a deer. I won't throw my money away like that. If I was in a state with plentiful game I would hunt more than I do. Many of the people moving out of California due to housing costs alone are liberal, but many of us who are making the choice or preparing to move are very conservative and looking for a place that would align with our values and be a step back in time not just politically, but socially and that's OK. California in 1970 had about 20 Million people. Today that's at least doubled to 40 Million... and that's just the ones we count. I know why some of you don't like Californian's. I don't like a lot of them either....