Tell me about the RCS-2, MBF in gray - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:00 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tell me about the RCS-2, MBF in gray

It appears to be the earlier version of the "current" Man's Best Friend", complete with a street sign and other gewgaws.

I really like the sight rail, peep sight, M1 sight combination, and I like the modular stocks, too.

Has anyone got one and shot it much? I am ambivalent about the stock color, but at least it's not black on black.

I've got a red dot sight that needs a home, this seems like a good place for it.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:39 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iím sure it shoots like any other Tupperware Carbine, takedown torque dependent , barrel band mystery, and honeycombed stock hard to put pressure pads in. But the modular stock highcheek piece is a plus, as are the peep sights , long rail and m1 front sights. Will need a better trigger, diy, kit, or Bx.

Iím sure it will be a Lot of fun, And urban gray is better than pea green, or baby poop brown imho

Plus , if you ever stumble across an empty m1 stock who knows what could happen

And the red dot isnít getting any younger
Old 08-22-2019, 09:40 AM
glennasher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess it will do the job. I picked it up yesterday, and took it out this morning.
Right off the bat, the red dot wasn't visible, to my eyes, anyway, in the bright sun/conditions at the range. Same issue I had when I bought the red dot to out on my AR. Arrrrghggg.
I had planned ahead, though, and took a selection of rings and a couple scopes with me. Due to the peep sight, low rings wouldn't work, so I put some higher rings on it, along with a Leupold Freedom Rimfire scope I had on hand. I also had another, taller buttpiece for the modular stock, that helped with the high rings. Yay, at least I had planned that far ahead.

The trigger will have to be addressed, it was heavy but crisp enough to shoot it fairly well. I guess a BX trigger will have to be aquired. The peep sight is nice, but I'll have to get better glasses or have surgery to use them. I plinked around at 25 yards with it, I"ll have to take it out to 50 yards on another day. All told, I think it has some potential, it won't keep up with the GM barrel on my DSP, but it's tolerable. I think any squirrel would have a hard time with the new rifle.

The magwell is tighter than a tick, but I think it'll wear in. I"m not going to go ape making it work smoother now. As it is, at least you can't lose the magazines unless you do it on purpose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1483.jpg (280.2 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 10:06 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thatís nice, even has finger grooves!What red dot? Doesnít it have a brightness knob?iif itís one of. Those. On one, they donít work well for my old eyes either.
Tight is good. Hornady One Shot will slick the whole thing up! Including the trigger!

Have fun, I think it looks great.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:30 PM
glennasher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's a TrueDot, with both red and green dots, and it does have a brightness knob, but it projects two dots!, dunno if it's a reflection on the lens or if it's outa whack in some other way. I think I paid $40 or thereabouts for it at the local Rural King. I guess I got what I paid for.

Right now, the magazine that came with the rifle works normally, but the two extras I bought are so tight I have to lock the bolt open and push on the magazine from the top. Same with the other magazines I have for my old DSP, too tight. I'm okay with that, though, like I said, at least I won't lose them in the woods.
As for ammo, I'm really happy that it likes my Aguila SE-HV, because I've got a couple cases of it on hand, and it REALLY likes the HP version of that load. It shoots well with Geco Semi-Auto, too, and lo and behold, it even shoots CCI-SV pretty well (something my CZs will NOT do) CCI Blazers turned in a good performance. CCI MiniMags don't shoot very well, though, and bulk Federal Value Packs are pitiful (no surprise there, but I used them to get a rough zero). The Federals were miserable, at 25 yards I was getting 1.5" to 2 inch groups. Eccchhhhh.
All in all, it's a typical 10/22, nothing more or less. My CZ 512 shoots a lot better, as does my DSP with the GM barrel, but that's to be expected.

Last edited by glennasher; 08-22-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:49 PM
917M2Sfan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
What are the differences between version 1, 2, and 3 of the MBF series?
Old 08-23-2019, 04:37 AM
glennasher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917M2Sfan View Post
What are the differences between version 1, 2, and 3 of the MBF series?
As nearly as I can tell, the color of the stock is different, and they have different street signs. Beyond that, who knows?
Old 08-23-2019, 08:45 PM
917M2Sfan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennasher View Post
As nearly as I can tell, the color of the stock is different, and they have different street signs. Beyond that, who knows?
#3 has the green modular stock, but what colors were #1 and #2?

I have seen the modular stocks in black, copper mica, and green.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:01 AM
glennasher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
#1, I have no idea.
#2, gray, as in the title of the thread, and the pic I provided.
#3, green, just like the Predator versions of the RAR.
#4, we'll all have to wait and see if they make one
Old 08-24-2019, 06:40 PM
917M2Sfan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennasher View Post
#1, I have no idea.
#2, gray, as in the title of the thread, and the pic I provided.
#3, green, just like the Predator versions of the RAR.
#4, we'll all have to wait and see if they make one
I thought that the picture that you posted was of the copper mica color stock. I've never seen the grey stock.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:06 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I too love the m1 peep sights.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:56 AM
glennasher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The M1 front sight vibrated out of its dovetail this morning at the range. Luckily, I was able to catch it before it got lost. I hammered it back into place with a magazine, so it wasn't too tight to begin with. Didn't really matter, because I was shooting with a scope, but it would have been a mess if I'd been using the irons.

The silly thing seems to shoot best with Geco Semi-Auto, and Aguila SE-HV, and it doesn't like CCI MiniMags or Federal bulk worth beans. It will tolerate Blazers well enough, but I'm buying the Aguila for a lot less money than Blazers, and it likes them better. FWIW, I like the gun just fine, but as always, there are some niggling little issues with them.