new to semi-auto BR...bunch of q's - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:47 PM
gaboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

I'm assuming that since you are using an ABRA target and wanting to retain your original trigger housing that you are getting into the ABRA factory class. If so, DITCH the blazers and get CenterX and Eley match and LOT test as much as you can. Keep your chamber clean to reduce any extraction failures. As far as the trigger goes, you can replace with the KIDD kit since your not pleased with the re-work. Don't expect a 2 oz. trigger though.
If you want to find out what everyone else in ABRA is doing to their factory rifles, you need to go to the nationals Labor Day weekend in Virginia. There will be several there willing to help.
If my assumption was wrong, I'm sorry and will delete my post.
Ricky
Old 07-18-2019, 05:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Get the Kidd trigger kit. I had an LVT that I sent to CPC for the full tuneup. It shot RWS R50 better than anything. I could never find a lot of Tenex or Match that it liked but I had a particular lot of Eley Practice 100 that it absolutely loved. But once that lot was gone no other lot of P100 shot the same.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:09 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Yupp.. if you are serious about it you need that KIDD trigger and better ammo.. Serious cash nets you serious great groups.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:27 PM
rodent shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
How far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500c View Post
hi all, i'm a long time shooter, but completely new to semi-auto benchrest. i'm not sure which forum to post in, so i thought i'd pick here to start. forgive me if some of these questions have been answered, but i have searched. i find some are touched on, but not specifically.

so, here:

. i have a stock 10/22 which went to CPC for randy's total package, trigger, and bolt to crown. he suggested i shouldn't evaluate groups until at least 700 rounds went through it. i'm about there now. would those who have used his work comment on what is realistic to expect in terms of performance? is 1MOA reasonable? his website has some data on this but i wondered about real life experiences here.

. his trigger came in at ~2.9 lbs. Is there a trigger solution, such as Volquartsen, that would retain the housing and get this pull down to < 2.5 lbs? on VQ's website, and YT vids, they seem to hover around 2.75 or higher (and for beginner purposes, should i even be concerned about pull weight at all, or instead focus entirely on technique for now?

. in my last range session, just fooling around, i shot groups of blazer (yup, blazer) that looked like the attached, and groups of cci sv (yup) that look like the attached. (i am trying eley match & lapua center x next wk). But, the SV POI was a full 1" lower than the (zero'd) Blazer. 1"! yikes. is this somewhat normal? do ammo differences really vary this much? in low end ammo such as these, can i expect this sort of performance?

thank you all in advance for any help and for bearing with me

i tried to post the pics correctly but they show as rotated, but i hope you can get the idea of the drop anyway

Attachment 188075

Attachment 188077

Are these 3 or 5 shot groups and at what distance?
Old 07-18-2019, 09:54 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just my 2 centavos. Spray your Randy trigger with Hornady one Shot Dri Lube. Do your bolt too! Clean your bore with a bent brush, clean it again. Buy some decent ammo, SV ammo with lube, like wolf or Eley, or SK, etc and learn to shoot by shooting a lot. 700 rounds is a good day at the range. Go early pack a lunch and lots of water. After 5000 rounds youíll get the hang of it. And figure out what components you would like to change. What rest do you use? What rear bag do you use, what scope and reticle do you use. Find the ones that work best for you.

Randy has already made your trigger as good as itís gonna get. Donít waste it. If you have to keep a stock trigger , buy a new/ used one and do the Kidd trigger kit. If you donít have to have a stock trigger there are lots of choices, but they say the Kiddís are the best. I donít have one yet, cause Iím happy with my triggers, but I donít Crete, so if I shoot a bad group, I just shoot another group. If I shoot three bad groups in a row , I take a break, switch ammo, or rifles or rests or go home.i am about to send in my best Bx to Brimstone because my tier 2s have spoiled me and I like them better than the Bx s.mostly because I like the feel of the metal trigger and the better trigger return spring setup.

Youíve got years of fun instore for you , donít rush it, the ride is is the best part
Old 07-19-2019, 03:14 AM
500c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaboy View Post
I'm assuming that since you are using an ABRA target and wanting to retain your original trigger housing that you are getting into the ABRA factory class. If so, DITCH the blazers and get CenterX and Eley match and LOT test as much as you can. Keep your chamber clean to reduce any extraction failures. As far as the trigger goes, you can replace with the KIDD kit since your not pleased with the re-work. Don't expect a 2 oz. trigger though.
If you want to find out what everyone else in ABRA is doing to their factory rifles, you need to go to the nationals Labor Day weekend in Virginia. There will be several there willing to help.
If my assumption was wrong, I'm sorry and will delete my post.
Ricky
tnx. your assumption is pretty much 'on target' 6 mos out of the yr i will be able to compete in an abra match with guys who are knowledgable and can help me. RFC is my resource itmt. i have 6 boxes of eley match & center x waiting to be shot
Old 07-19-2019, 03:15 AM
500c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Just my 2 centavos. Spray your Randy trigger with Hornady one Shot Dri Lube. Do your bolt too! Clean your bore with a bent brush, clean it again. Buy some decent ammo, SV ammo with lube, like wolf or Eley, or SK, etc and learn to shoot by shooting a lot. 700 rounds is a good day at the range. Go early pack a lunch and lots of water. After 5000 rounds youíll get the hang of it. And figure out what components you would like to change. What rest do you use? What rear bag do you use, what scope and reticle do you use. Find the ones that work best for you.

Randy has already made your trigger as good as itís gonna get. Donít waste it. If you have to keep a stock trigger , buy a new/ used one and do the Kidd trigger kit. If you donít have to have a stock trigger there are lots of choices, but they say the Kiddís are the best. I donít have one yet, cause Iím happy with my triggers, but I donít Crete, so if I shoot a bad group, I just shoot another group. If I shoot three bad groups in a row , I take a break, switch ammo, or rifles or rests or go home.i am about to send in my best Bx to Brimstone because my tier 2s have spoiled me and I like them better than the Bx s.mostly because I like the feel of the metal trigger and the better trigger return spring setup.

Youíve got years of fun instore for you , donít rush it, the ride is is the best part
will try that. i love your last statement! thanks
Old 07-19-2019, 03:17 AM
500c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent shooter View Post
Are these 3 or 5 shot groups and at what distance?
these were cherry picked 3 shot groups. only 5 groups for each ammo. i don't have a frame of reference beyond what i see here, but i was wondering what i could expect from a 'randy gun' specifically. i didn't want an unreasonable goal
Old 07-19-2019, 03:18 AM
500c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Yupp.. if you are serious about it you need that KIDD trigger and better ammo.. Serious cash nets you serious great groups.
apart from the ammo & kidd, then, what can i expect from a CPC done gun? 1 MOA?
Old 07-19-2019, 03:19 AM
500c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
Get the Kidd trigger kit. I had an LVT that I sent to CPC for the full tuneup. It shot RWS R50 better than anything. I could never find a lot of Tenex or Match that it liked but I had a particular lot of Eley Practice 100 that it absolutely loved. But once that lot was gone no other lot of P100 shot the same.
exactly how well did that lot shoot?
Old 07-19-2019, 09:41 PM
gaboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Group size

If your main focus is ABRA then I would shoot that target for score and not worry so much about group size. I've shot a bunch of different brands of ammo and different LOTS of each one and have never had any that didn't have flyers. And that would have screwed up a good group but scored decent on a card.
Just curious, what club are you shooting ABRA at?
Ricky
Old 07-19-2019, 10:03 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500c View Post
apart from the ammo & kidd, then, what can i expect from a CPC done gun? 1 MOA?
I would think MOA is gunna happen yes.. I have had CPC Bolts thats it but I know Gents that are seasoned RFC folk that have shot MOA with theirs. I shoot mostly KIDD.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:44 AM
500c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thank you
Old 07-21-2019, 01:50 AM
500c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaboy View Post
If your main focus is ABRA then I would shoot that target for score and not worry so much about group size. I've shot a bunch of different brands of ammo and different LOTS of each one and have never had any that didn't have flyers. And that would have screwed up a good group but scored decent on a card.
Just curious, what club are you shooting ABRA at?
Ricky
it's an experiemental modified abra at Hollywood R&P in FL
Old 07-21-2019, 10:53 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Randy does barreled actions. You generally don't send him the whole rifle.

Remember that bedding is a very important consideration. Take a look at some of Que's old posts where he talks about bedding and the front receiver screw tension and it's effects on accuracy.