Old 05-16-2017, 11:10 AM
rdas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmist22 View Post
Here is one of the prototypes mounted on a Buck Mark with a FastFire 3:

Looking at this photo again, I noticed that the bottom of the slide does not meet the frame properly. They should be together. Is this just because you didn't reassemble it fully/correctly, or is the rail not fitting as far down as it should? The distance between the bottom of the rail and the frame where the bottom of the slide goes should be smaller, and thus prevent the slide from moving up and down. You can also see that the rail isn't meeting the top of the barrel flush; there's a bit of a gap that gets bigger as it goes back, indicating the that rail is angled a bit.
Something's not quite right there.

Last edited by rdas; 05-16-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:22 AM
redmist22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, there was a fit issue on the first prototype. I have made 11 models of mounts for pistols, revolvers and sight models and only managed to get one perfect on the 1st prototype.

The sight may be able to go about 0.5" further forward without the width of the FF footprint area being over the ejection port. It is not clear that there would be ejection issues even if the FF footprint were over the ejection port but without doing a mount and testing it is hard to say.

I appreciate and consider all the comments. That is why I started this thread.

While we are on the user preference path -- what do you all think of the star lock washers? I feel they are not required and are rather out of place on a pistol. If the design eliminates their use the mount could be about 0.050" lower.

Last edited by redmist22; 05-16-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:07 PM
JEC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Lower is better. I have nothing against the use of star washers, but I usually use LocTite anyway where I need some extra grip to hold screws tight. And if you're soliciting my selfish opinion (and at the end of the day, it is all about me and only me, right?), I'd be fine either way on the forward/rear placement of the sight, but I do like the way the prototype looks. Whatever tiny benefit there may be to mounting it over the recoil pivot point isn't meaningful to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2017, 03:15 PM
27 Beck

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
I am easy to please. The original prototype is fine with me. Moving it forward would put it approximately the same position as the tactical solutions mount. I like your current design better.

I do not use the star washers when I put a TacSol mount on my Buckmark.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:44 PM
Nolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
The sight may be able to go about 0.5" further forward without the width of the FF footprint area being over the ejection port. It is not clear that there would be ejection issues even if the FF footprint were over the ejection port but without doing a mount and testing it is hard to say.
The wings over the ejection port is not an issue. The Alchin Gun Parts C-More scope mount that I use on 3 of my Buck Marks extends out over the ejection port quite a bit.

This is a photo of the underside of the Alchin mount. This particular gun had an ejector wire that was not staked firmly leading to erratic ejection and empty cases hitting the bottom of the scope mount. Once the ejector was re-staked it didn't have any more problems, but the problem was not caused by the scope mount and the cases hitting the scope mount didn't cause any problems, it was the cases that were spinning around sideways and never leaving the ejection port that were the problem. The other 2 guns using the same mount don't have the brass marks.

If you want to find the ideal scope lens location, use double sided tape and stick the scope to the top rail with the scope lens straight above the slide/barrel junction. Turn on the scope and while holding the gun in a normal shooting grip pivot your wrists simulating recoil (yeah, I know .22 = no recoil) and watch the dot in the scope lens. Relocate the scope forward and backwards repeating the procedure until you find the sweet spot where the dot is closest to stationary during recoil. The bad news is that will probably be a different spot for you than for me. Everybody has a slightly different grip and a different wrist motion, but the lens straight above or slightly forward of the breachface will probably work best for the majority of shooters.

Nolan
Old 05-16-2017, 07:08 PM
redmist22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry to report, for personal reasons I will not be selling this mount.

I really appreciate the respondents time looking at the design and offering very good comments and suggestions.

I apologize for getting the Buck Mark folks in anticipation of getting a new mount design and then my having to drop the project.

Phillip
Old 05-16-2017, 09:16 PM
JEC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
. . . . . . Redmist, I hope circumstances allow you to reconsider one day. And I gotta ask . . . is that prototype usable? If so, what is to become of it?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:53 AM
redmist22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEC View Post
. . . . . . Redmist, I hope circumstances allow you to reconsider one day. And I gotta ask . . . is that prototype usable? If so, what is to become of it?
The prototype in the photo is a paperweight.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:23 AM
outdoorsmen
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What happened? Why the change of mind?
Old 06-08-2017, 09:12 AM
OldRunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The prototype in the photo is a paperweight.
Phillip if a member here (c'mon somebody) were to step up & complete the development of this product, any chance you would send that proto to them?

PLZ & TY in advance if you were to enable the completion of this very nice & needed rail.

Last edited by OldRunner; 06-08-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:58 AM
redmist22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRunner View Post
Phillip if a member here (c'mon somebody) were to step up & complete the development of this product, any chance you would send that proto to them?

PLZ & TY in advance if you were to enable the completion of this very nice & needed rail.

PM sent.