Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:48 AM
redmist22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buckmark pistol reflex sight mount

I am working on a one piece mount for using reflex sights like the Burris FastFire and the Leupold Deltapoint Pro on Buckmark pistols.

The mount would replace the stock sight base/rail and would provide the lowest (closest to bore) position possible much lower than a sight with a rail mount sitting on a rail.

It will be machined from 6061 aluminum and glass bead blasted to provide a nice satin finish.

Below are a couple of CAD views of the work in progress. What do you all think of the notion?

Top view:

Bottom view:

Old 04-26-2017, 11:47 AM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In general, I think it's a great idea.

It appears that it will be significantly wider than the stock top rail; will that interfere with grasping the rear of the slide? Would it be possible to move the wide part forward a bit, allowing the rearmost part of this piece to be the same width as the stock rail, giving you room to grab the slide?

Will the reflex sight cover the rear rail screw? If so, it would be annoying to have to remove the reflex sight in order to get to that screw (and subsequently have to re-zero the sight after reassembly). Perhaps another reason to move it forward a bit.

You might (or might not) need to be careful about making it too wide above the ejection port, though. You don't want it being a cause of stovepipes or other failures to eject. Maybe bevel the part above the ejection port a little, just to encourage cases that hit it to bounce out, and not back in.

It certainly looks nice, but why does it get a bit narrower just before the front screw? Is it going to make the area to the sides of that front screw prone to cracking if the screws are not tightened evenly or in the correct order?

Are you planning to make these available to others, or are you just making a one-off for yourself?

Dave

Last edited by rdas; 04-26-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:46 PM
Travis299
US Marines Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rail

I really like the idea & view of the rail. It will look great on a Hunter. Do you have a ball park price on the rail? Please provide a picture with the rail & reflex sight mounted on a BM. I would leave the front FO sight mounted which allows a quick way to locate the red dot. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2017, 02:25 PM
redmist22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas View Post
In general, I think it's a great idea.

It appears that it will be significantly wider than the stock top rail; will that interfere with grasping the rear of the slide? Would it be possible to move the wide part forward a bit, allowing the rearmost part of this piece to be the same width as the stock rail, giving you room to grab the slide?

Will the reflex sight cover the rear rail screw? If so, it would be annoying to have to remove the reflex sight in order to get to that screw (and subsequently have to re-zero the sight after reassembly). Perhaps another reason to move it forward a bit.

You might (or might not) need to be careful about making it too wide above the ejection port, though. You don't want it being a cause of stovepipes or other failures to eject. Maybe bevel the part above the ejection port a little, just to encourage cases that hit it to bounce out, and not back in.

It certainly looks nice, but why does it get a bit narrower just before the front screw? Is it going to make the area to the sides of that front screw prone to cracking if the screws are not tightened evenly or in the correct order?

Are you planning to make these available to others, or are you just making a one-off for yourself?

Dave
Thank you very much for the thoughtful comments.

I had been pondering moving the reflex sight base (wide portion) forward of the rear screw for handier slide operation.

I made it narrower at the front mimicking the stock iron sight base. The mount is solid under the front screw area so no issue with strength.

The thought is to make them in modest quantities. I currently make mounts for S&W revolvers, S&W model 41 pistol, Ruger revolvers, Contender handgun and Freedom Arms revolvers.

I had a request for the Buckmark so I am looking into making them.

Thanks again.

I'll update as the project continues.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:28 PM
redmist22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis299 View Post
I really like the idea & view of the rail. It will look great on a Hunter. Do you have a ball park price on the rail? Please provide a picture with the rail & reflex sight mounted on a BM. I would leave the front FO sight mounted which allows a quick way to locate the red dot. Thanks
Pricing will have to wait until required machining time is known. I'll update as the project progresses.

Thank you for the comments and interest.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:31 PM
Nolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmist22 View Post
Thank you very much for the thoughtful comments.

I had been pondering moving the reflex sight base (wide portion) forward of the rear screw for handier slide operation.

I made it narrower at the front mimicking the stock iron sight base. The mount is solid under the front screw area so no issue with strength.

The thought is to make them in modest quantities. I currently make mounts for S&W revolvers, S&W model 41 pistol, Ruger revolvers, Contender handgun and Freedom Arms revolvers.

I had a request for the Buckmark so I am looking into making them.

Thanks again.

I'll update as the project continues.
Your mount looks good. From my experience making the "Buck Rogers" and from lots of Steel Challenge competition, you want the red dot mounted at the pivot point of the recoil so the sight moves the smallest amount. I originally used a Tasco Optima sight I had tried on my USPSA Open division gun and the sight was mounted towards the rear of the sight rail.

The Optima sight was as useless on the "Buck Rogers" as it was on my Open gun. It wouldn't hold zero, was too dim and was way too hard to adjust zero. With the sight mounted so far to the rear it had more dot movement than I like, so I just drilled and tapped the mount for a C-More sight and have used it like this since.

The side wings don't get in the way of racking the slide.

Nolan
Old 04-26-2017, 07:36 PM
redmist22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is a radical looking critter!

Thanks for the sight position comment. I had not pondered that for quick re-acquisition of target.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:41 PM
AutoFan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I much prefer the sight mounted as far forward as possible, say just behind the front mounting screw.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:53 AM
redmist22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Updated for sight moved forward of the rear screw.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:48 PM
Travis299

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New design

I much prefer the new position of the mount which gives access to the rear screw & will make racking the slide a bit easier I believe. Great work.

Is the width of the rail where the reflex sight mounts exactly the same as the FF3 base as the shade will also have to snap onto the sight?

Burris FF3 mounted on a Hunter. Your rail eliminates the rear sight & the FF3 mounting base w/screw which will lower the sight a bit, all good!

Last edited by Travis299; 04-27-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:01 PM
redmist22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis299 View Post
I much prefer the new position of the mount which gives access to the rear screw & will make racking the slide a bit easier I believe. Great work.

Is the width of the rail where the reflex sight mounts exactly the same as the FF3 base as the shade will also have to snap onto the sight?
The width is the same. The shade will work with it.

I'll likely mill out a prototype in the next few days after I get some other mount production runs done.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:49 PM
redmist22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To give it a slimmer look and more like our other mount offerings we have the USS Carl Vinson styling mods.

The hole near the middle is for a machining fixture and is covered by the sight

Old 05-01-2017, 10:37 AM
CynKrzy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very Nice - How long do you think until it's available - Be happy to be a "Beta" tester for you
Old 05-01-2017, 10:44 AM
redmist22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynKrzy View Post
Very Nice - How long do you think until it's available - Be happy to be a "Beta" tester for you
I expect to cut the prototype this week and should have any issues worked out by next week for the 1st production run.

What sights are you all interested in using with this mount? The first one will be for Burris fastfire and its several footprint compatibles. Next will likely be the Leupold Deltapoint Pro.

Thanks for the interest. I'll keep this thread updated.

Phillip

Last edited by redmist22; 05-01-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:58 AM
Travis299

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Carl Vinson slide

I believe that your Carl Vinson slide will enhance the profile view of the BM & especially the Hunter where the barrel will appear longer and sleeker. It should be easy to acquire the target with the more inline mounting of the reflex sight. With the sight more to the rear the weapon will fit into a holster better. JMHO

Hunter with Burris FF3 in a holster.