Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:48 AM
chinaski

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Piney Hill info

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could find out more information on Piney Hill and what kind of matches they hold there.

A little background, I've shot IBS centerfire score matches, IBS 1000yd matches in the past and enjoy shooting silhouette now a days and was wondering what all kind of events are held at Piney Hill, was thinking of taking a ride up there from Richmond (couple hours away) and checking them out one weekend and was wondering if they had anything with true sporter classes or possible position shooting, I haven't come over to the dark side quite yet and built a 22 benchrest rig but I fear it may not be too far off in the future.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:47 PM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Piney Hill host both IR50/50 matches as well as ARA matches, all are inside. There is actually a ARA match tonite and again at 8:00 in the morning. There will be a very large IR50/50 match held next weekend, they start at 8:00 am both Sat & Sun.
Always a nice group of people in attendance, willing to answer any questions.

Hope to see you there.

George

IR5050.com for future matches
Old 02-11-2017, 05:16 AM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could find out more information on Piney Hill and what kind of matches they hold there.

A little background, I've shot IBS centerfire score matches, IBS 1000yd matches in the past and enjoy shooting silhouette now a days and was wondering what all kind of events are held at Piney Hill, was thinking of taking a ride up there from Richmond (couple hours away) and checking them out one weekend and was wondering if they had anything with true sporter classes or possible position shooting, I haven't come over to the dark side quite yet and built a 22 benchrest rig but I fear it may not be too far off in the future.
As George mentioned, there's a big IR 50 match this coming weekend. Both Sat and Sunday so come on up and check it out. Had an ARA match last night, and another starts at 9 am this morning.

As to what is shot there, both ARA and IR 50 matches are held. Once a month for each. Only during the winter months though. As a member, you can come shoot anytime you want. A lot of guys come over and shoot once a week or so, usually on Fridays.

The guy who runs the place is from Richmond, and there's another member (who's also a great friend of mine) from Richmond who comes up all the time to shoot.

Great cast of characters there. All will help you with anything you might want to ask. Do come up and check it out.

We're not quite as "backwoods" as some might think. Heck, even have running water.

Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2017, 09:25 AM
Ralph Spoilsport

TPC Rating: 
88% (6)
Some more Piney Hill info

I'm the IR50/50 Match Director at Piney Hill and hope you'll come up for a visit. I come from Richmond and it's a really pleasant drive through Gordonsville and up rt. 33.

First, here's some info on Piney Hill Benchrest Club. Since it's in "the old turkey hose behind the other barn" the physical address is only of some use. The GPS coordinates will take you right there:

http://www.ir5050.com/ranges/range-va-piney-hill/

Kenny was only half-right about 50/50 matches at Piney Hill. There are two matches per month. We have a 3-Gun and Unlimited Club match the first weekend of the month and a "big" match on the third weekend. The Club matches are more local. The "big" matches are either State, Regional or Nationals. This next weekend's match should be pretty well attended. 4 Unlimited matches over two days. Sate and Regionals.

As for your original question about "true sporter classes" you've come to the right place. In IR50/50 there are several classes shot and Sporter is one of them. We have rules regarding stock shape, rifle weight, scope magnification and rests. Full rules kind be found here:

http://www.ir5050.com/section-1-rules/

It might seem daunting looking at them but it's actually quite simple.

You're welcome to come up this weekend Saturday or Sunday for a look. Time permitting I'll be happy to fill you in and if I can't then just about any other shooter will be happy to fill in.

We are also open for a practice day on Friday where it might be a little less hectic and you're welcome to come then as well.

My contact info is on the Piney Hill info page and you can contact me if you have any questions.

Bruce Horsnstein
Old 02-11-2017, 03:23 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Thanks Bruce. Figured I'd goober it up...

At least I was half right. Usually am half wrong.

Missed you this weekend. Good times.

Kenny
Old 02-13-2017, 08:56 AM
chinaski

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks guys, I think I'll definitely come up one weekend, usually take a drive out that way once a month or so just to get out of the city, looking forward to checking out the matchs.